Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sonic Soft Paint - How do you deal with chips?

As long as the chips have not exposed the cf then I think as ngenco is sprayed on it fills chips at the same time.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Cant really do much about it unless going for PPF. Ceramic coatings help to a degree but itll still get through. 

Its just one of those things you live with and get a respray done every now and then. 

18 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Cant really do much about it unless going for PPF. Ceramic coatings help to a degree but itll still get through. 

Its just one of those things you live with and get a respray done every now and then. 

I don’t really know much about PPF other than the bit of research I did when I was considering silver coating my carbon bonnet (now officially off the agenda)...firstly there are vast differences in price, which I put down to quality of material and workmanship...although all the companies seem a bit shady so not necessarily most expensive = best. Secondly I spoke to a GTR driver in Spa who advised me not to get mine clear PPF’d as he had his done and whilst it did save the paint when he came to get it re-wrapped 3 years after the first job (he was advised to do so every 3 years) the glue of the PPF had bonded to the paint laquer and when they took the PPF it partially pulled it off - requiring some of the panels to be resprayed anyway!? 

4 minutes ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

I don’t really know much about PPF other than the bit of research I did when I was considering silver coating my carbon bonnet (now officially off the agenda)...firstly there are vast differences in price, which I put down to quality of material and workmanship...although all the companies seem a bit shady so not necessarily most expensive = best. Secondly I spoke to a GTR driver in Spa who advised me not to get mine clear PPF’d as he had his done and whilst it did save the paint when he came to get it re-wrapped 3 years after the first job (he was advised to do so every 3 years) the glue of the PPF had bonded to the paint laquer and when they took the PPF it partially pulled it off - requiring some of the panels to be resprayed anyway!? 

Oh dear, shouldn't really have bonded though unless they were using something they shouldnt have! 

The PPF that comes on the IS rear doors, I literally heated a corner up and pulled it off with no issues after 2 years. 

4 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Just buy a plain black one like mine they look perfect and clean and shiny all the time in the Uk.....

🐀

Oh dear God!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Comedian said:

As long as the chips have not exposed the cf then I think as ngenco is sprayed on it fills chips at the same time.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Exactly this Sean!

But don’t waste your words, PPF is the only product that works (apparently).

@Flytvr I would be interested in protecting my RCF with ngenco.  Where did you get this done?  I note that there is a place in Bristol that do it but would welcome any recommendations.  Front of my RCF is still in good shape, there is a couple of tiny chips but you have to go looking for them so now would be the obvious time to protect it.

• Like 2

Hi guys, for paint chips I fill them with paint as you all will have done before. But this will tend to leave an unsightly blob.

After lots of research, I found that Ultrasolve is ideal for flattening them off afterwards.
http://cpc.farnell.com/electrolube/uls200d/ultrasolve-solvent-cleaner-uls/dp/SA00849

Its the same solvent used in some fancy kits.
All you need to do is let the paint dry for some time (few days is ok for me). Wrap a piece of taught smooth fabric around a credit card. Apply the solvent and rub the high spot off. Re-apply paint as required and repeat.

It only dissolves the touch up paint and does nothing to the factory paint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone found Sonic Red touch up paint?  I've got some big chips on the front; worse than any other car I've owned.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Has anyone found Sonic Red touch up paint?  I've got some big chips on the front; worse than any other car I've owned.

Available from your friendly Lexus dealer - 

part # PZ448-W3T5109

I have the touch-up kit here in front of me, curiously it has an expiry date of 08/18. I wonder what happens to it after that date??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MNMJ said:

I got a 'road rash' kit from Chipex.  Includes the silver base coat and red top coat.  Paint code 3T5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2018 at 12:07 PM, Jon_B said:

@Flytvr I would be interested in protecting my RCF with ngenco.  Where did you get this done?  I note that there is a place in Bristol that do it but would welcome any recommendations.  Front of my RCF is still in good shape, there is a couple of tiny chips but you have to go looking for them so now would be the obvious time to protect it.

Its pretty expensive. About £1000+VAT if Im not mistaken for a front end doing. 

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

Its pretty expensive. About £1000+VAT if Im not mistaken for a front end doing. 

Someone educate me please, I'm not getting it.

£1200 for PPF that lasts three years? Then pay £1200 again? 

PPF will protect from some damage but not a bigger impact that dents the bonnet.

And I've read recently some PPF's haven't even lasted three years with suppliers blaming car washing for it's failings.

Has anyone on here had experience of these PPF's that runs to more than three years?

4 hours ago, SMorris said:

I got a 'road rash' kit from Chipex.  Includes the silver base coat and red top coat.  Paint code 3T5.

Does it match well? I've a kit in Azure blue but not used it yet. Not convinced a 2 coat paint will match that well against a 5 coat OEM paint at all angles and light conditions. 

10 hours ago, Tfp said:

Someone educate me please, I'm not getting it.

£1200 for PPF that lasts three years? Then pay £1200 again? 

PPF will protect from some damage but not a bigger impact that dents the bonnet.

And I've read recently some PPF's haven't even lasted three years with suppliers blaming car washing for it's failings.

Has anyone on here had experience of these PPF's that runs to more than three years?

Many PPFs do last longer than 3 years. The obvious solution would be not to go to a car wash surely?  

What about the PPF that's fitted to the IS from factory,  they last longer than 3 years as shown by cars which are now 5 years old

• Like 1

You might be thinking of helicopter tape, the stuff they put on rear arches/doors/sills. That's a lot thicker than PPF to endure debris for the lifetime of the vehicle. I could do with replacing mine though (2011, 30K) as the edges have peeled slightly and dirt is getting in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

I removed mine - they placed it on the only part of the car that never get's hit. 

Yh I did the same a while back. 

Would have been better if they stuck it on the front bumper instead

2 hours ago, Toothy said:

You might be thinking of helicopter tape, the stuff they put on rear arches/doors/sills. That's a lot thicker than PPF to endure debris for the lifetime of the vehicle. I could do with replacing mine though (2011, 30K) as the edges have peeled slightly and dirt is getting in.

@Toothy David don’t talk aircraft technical to @Comedian helicopter s and stuff, his knowledge doesn’t go past airfix kits and so on....... :whistling:

🐀

• Like 1