Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mixed tyres - Hankook on the front, Michelin on the rear - any likely problems?

I normally like to buy a full set of tyres but the Hankooks on the back of my RX400 are going bald on the outside edge. Are there any potential problems if I replace them with Michelin Latitude Sport 3s and keep the Hankooks on the front til they wear out?

Like you, I like to have all four tyres as a matching set but when we bought our car at the beginning of February, there were Bridgestones on the front and Dunlops on the back, all of which were like new.

I got a puncture in one of the rears, a nail which was so close to the sidewall that it couldn't be repaired, so I took the opportunity to replace both rears with my preferred choice of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons G2. Sadly, at £180 each I couldn't afford, nor justify, changing the Bridgestones at the same time; they'll just have to wait a few months yet.

So in answer to your question, I've had no problems whatsoever in wet, dry or snowy conditions, by having different tyre brands front and rear.

There's no problem what so ever Robin. The problem only occurs when tyres are different on the same axle. In 30 + cars I've had only 2 had all 4 tyres the same. 

Always matching tyres on the same axle.

With the type of 4wd used on Lexus no problem as I see it, but on proper 4x4,s there could be problems in the drive train as I understand it. Likewise having the same tyres on the same axle where one has been replaced due to a puncture for instance as the rolling diameter will be different. I think it's all dependant on the vehicle type. 

When I bought my Rx 300 it had 4 different tires on it! Two were on their way out so I Put 4 Latitude Sport 3's on and they've been amazing! Worth every penny, had them for 2 years now and they still look brand new hardly warn at all, If your tyres are going bold on the outside edge it sounds like you haven't got enough air in them!  

I have the oem dunlops all round, but recently noticed that a Sport Maxx A1 and a Sport 270 have been put on the rear axle. I could see in the service history that 1 tyre had been replaced, which probably explains it. They both have sufficient tread left (around 6 mm), although the outer edges seem to go a little faster than the inside. Both front tyres are just above 2 mm, hence need replacing anyway. I am now in two minds what to do: i) replace both fronts with the Lattitude Sport 3's to maintain summer tyres all round, or ii) replace all 4 with the CrossClimate or Goodyear Vector 4 Season. Option ii would probably be my long term aim anyway, but option i would allow me to continue to use the rear tyres while benefiting from new good summer tyres up front. 

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated as always.

As I said above, the Goodyear Vector 4 Searsons G2 all round is my preferred choice. The two on the back that I have at the moment seem to be excellent and being an all-season tyre there's no reason to worry at any time of year.

8 hours ago, sorcerer said:

As I said above, the Goodyear Vector 4 Searsons G2 all round is my preferred choice. The two on the back that I have at the moment seem to be excellent and being an all-season tyre there's no reason to worry at any time of year.

Hi John, that's why I am also seriously considering the Vectors 😉 Are your Bridgestone's up front also all season or have you mixed all season with summer tyres? Guess the Vectors only come in 105 for load and W for speed rating, right?

Mine has the OEM Bridgestones but I'm a big fan of all seasons too. I'm not familiar with the Vector 4s but if the tyres had been borderline when I got my 400h I'd have certainly gone the all season route. I've also run winters year round on an XC90 with no ill effect other than slightly quicker wear.

Anyway, stop this talk of winters and all seasons. It's far too early for me to get excited about snow.

I chose "summer tyres" because we don't really get winter in Dorset, I used the quote un-quote because I think certain "summer tyres" are actually all weather tyres especially when they are high load tyres for some reason, perhaps the manufacturers consider that they most likely will be used on SUV's so they need good all round performance

We do get a couple of weeks of winter here in Dorset lol and winter tyres are mean't to grip better in really cold conditions but they don't wear very well in warm or hot weather, so it was a no brainer for me and because we get more mild/hot weather than we do freezing weather, I guess an all weather tyre might seem like the ideal solution, however when I looked into tyres the Michelin Latitude Sport 3's have a great spec for noise fuel economy and wet braking, plus to me they look like an all weather tyre anyway but with the benefit of greater wear qualities

The 2 weeks of snow we had in Dorset this last winter was the perfect test and OMG! I could not believe how well the Michelin Latitude Sport 3's grip in the snow, took me completely buy surprise...I was driving around other cars that were left deserted and going about my business like it was just another day in the office...I have Michelin's on my T5 van and that was also brilliant in the snow, I live on a steep hill and I was able to get up and down with the van and the van is front wheel drive!

Bugatti went to Michelin for the new Chiron tyres so I guess I'm not the only fan... 

9 hours ago, Friso said:

Hi John, that's why I am also seriously considering the Vectors 😉 Are your Bridgestone's up front also all season or have you mixed all season with summer tyres? Guess the Vectors only come in 105 for load and W for speed rating, right?

Hi Friso, I'm not sure on either point to be honest. They are Bridgestone Dueller H/L 33 on the front axle but I don't know if they are summer/winter or what, and the Vectors on the back axle are indeed 105 W but I don't know if they do others or not. Sorry :unsure: