Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How often should I drive it,?

Have recently taken early retirement and don't get to drive my Lexus so much now. Just realised it's been two weeks since I took it for a spin! How regularly would folk recommend taking it for a drive to ensure it's in tip top condition and nothing ceases?

I'm happy to pop over and drive it for you Alan! 😉

I reckon this time of year you can get away with once a fortnight or three weeks, but over winter I wouldn't leave it more than a week. If you can, leave the handbrake off I'd suggest (not possible in some modern cars I know, or indeed on my steep drive!). Isn't there something about the 12v Battery discharging quite quickly on the Lexus hybrids? Sure I read that somewhere.

well, if you're other car is also a Lexus then there will be some competition .............  otherwise I think you should drive it every day .......... what are you saving it for ?  old age ? someone to inherit and drive it for you when you're not here to enjoy it !

Just ENJOY

Malc

• Like 1

THIS ^^^^^^^^^  Exactly what Malc said.

I remember an uncle who bought a brand new Hillman Minx. Spent all his time washing and polishing it as an ornament rather than using it as a car and did just 1,000 miles in the first full year if I remember correctly. He died a few months later so the next owner got all the pleasure of driving it, which is after all, what a car is for.

• Like 1

I parked my ls600hl up for almost 7mths when i was diagnosed with cancer, just over 3 yrs ago, (undercover in my garage i may add) and once i finished treatment and started driving again my only problem was dead Battery... disabled auto handbrake whilst it sat in garage....  if left outside id say it would need a run every now and then to stop discs rusting up tho

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Have recently taken early retirement and don't get to drive my Lexus so much now. Just realised it's been two weeks since I took it for a spin! How regularly would folk recommend taking it for a drive to ensure it's in tip top condition and nothing ceases?

Should be OK for 3 weeks outside but I would drive it after that.

Handbrake button near left side of steering wheel. Leave it in Auto and either press/pull to see if it comes off. Will revert back to Auto if the button is on when going for a drive afterwards

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Malc said:

well, if you're other car is also a Lexus then there will be some competition .............  otherwise I think you should drive it every day .......... what are you saving it for ?  old age ? someone to inherit and drive it for you when you're not here to enjoy it !

Just ENJOY

Malc

Other is a Honda jazz! Used for local shopping trips and trips to the dump. Neither of which I want to use the Lexus for. I guess I'm just trying to justify a long drive for the sake of it!

15 minutes ago, Malc said:

driving locally in one of the best cars ever made is also a joy !

Malc

I tend to agree but don't like parking it in carparks due to idiots that don't seem to care about their cars!

Honda Jazz you say !

The bloody things never die or go wrong. My mother in law has a 56 plate and it drives like new. Main dealer servicing (reasonable) , tyres, front pads and a new battery in 12 years. So your major problem is that you also have a reliable, bombproof, practical car that probably suits 90% of your needs. 

I feel your pain. 😉

I use my Lexus for everything but the tip...(where I borrow the mother in laws). I'm just extremely careful where I park the thing. I've been all over the UK and thus am a firm believer in using the car and getting enjoyment out of it. 

• Like 1

Ours is an 08 model. Totally underated.  Not exactly Lexus quality materials but pretty bomb proof. It's actually got more room in it than our old Volvo estate. And it's actually quite fun to drive!

Saying that, the Civic was (and still is in the US) a different type of hybrid. Although any type of rechargeable Battery

needs to be used fairly regularly.  I don't see anything in the Lexus handbook about regular use, then Of course Battery

technology is constantly moving on.

Where I have left cars for longer periods, I generally reckon to drive them once per fortnight and enough to warm up the oil (say 5 miles). I have never had any problems from this.

Our car only cost £10k less than our house did and I've never spent anywhere near that amount of money on a car in my entire life before.

It is indeed my pride and joy and I love it to bits.

However, it is the only car we own so it just has to do everything - runs to the tip; runs to the shops; day trips out and right up to European holidays where it may cover 4 to 5,000 miles over our four-weeks of touring round.

It's a car - just use it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Right that's it. I'm off for a spin...................

I hope that a figurative spin, not a literal one!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links