Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi new member with a common problem

phil3370

hi

I have an 2004 rx300 with the mark levinson sound system, when we got the car we didn't check the cd and later found out that it didn't open. I cant take it back (company was a small 2bit operation and the warranty doesn't cover it) so I tried removing the unit and tapping (as suggested in other forums) this didn't work so I (stupidly) removed the front panel and the small data ribbon, now, however when I have put it back together and replaced nothing works, I get every display segment light up when I turn on the ignition and then over the next few mins they gradually go out and nothing works except the cassette (using it as an aux at the moment ) , the buttons and display are not working (however the sound is adjustable via the steering control). I think the data ribbon might be the problem but having removed and replaced it a few times I cant see how I can get a better connection. has anyone got a clue what I can do next? lexus have quoted £1400.72 to replace just the cd/radio/cassette part which is ridiculous as the car was only £3000. is there any after market companies that fit a radio/cd/mp3 into that space that works with everything? I have seen one on eBay but it doesn't work for the mark levinson version due to its amp or something. I have seen exact replacements on eBay for a few hundred but tbh they have such a bad rep I would rather get something different but not sure if anyone does make one.

thanks for any advice and/or recommendations

phil

First of all, do you think you've fixed the original problem of the CD not opening?

Secondly, it is possible to have ribbon cables made up so might be worth a try.

Mostly though, why don't you just send your unit for repair (or at least an estimate of cost) to an electronics repair company? It's got to be better than replacement cost or trying to get some third-party thing to integrate with an ML system.

A quick google came up with some in the Kent area, these being just two of them:

Ribbon cables rarely just push into the connector, there is usually a hinged clip on the connector which has to be opened first to allow the ribbon to be fully inserted then the clip closed to trap the ribbon in the connector to ensure it has full electrical contact.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, yes I have put the ribbon back in and then clipped it shut however it's quite small so I guess I could have not done it good enough, I will try again a few times and see what happens and also look into repairs perhaps 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links