Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are the Keys Encrypted?

Hi All,

I was speaking to my dad the other day, and he mentioned that his neighbors son's car was stolen at home using his key signature. I have seen video's of this before but didn't think it was a regular occurrence. Bit of a long shot, but is anyone here aware if Lexus encrypt the keys? If not I will need to look into purchasing a signal blocker...

If you press lock button on fob and keep it depressed and press unlock button same time it turns off the radio signal and in order to open car you have to press the unlock button. When deactivated you cannot just walk to car and open as in keyless mode.

That's very handy to know, I shall have to try it.

EDIT     I tried this, but it didn't work every time, or don't you have to do it every time ?

Another Edit    I sussed this out eventually...Press and hold the lock button, and press the unlock button TWICE.

Sorry for the error re key press. Remembered and came back on to amend but you had sorted it

13 hours ago, Hadrian said:

That's very handy to know, I shall have to try it.

EDIT     I tried this, but it didn't work every time, or don't you have to do it every time ?

Another Edit    I sussed this out eventually...Press and hold the lock button, and press the unlock button TWICE.

Sorry about the error re key press. Came back on to amend after remembering but you had sorted.

5 hours ago, Hadrian said:

No problem,  it's a very handy thing to be aware of.  I wonder, does this work on all makes of car with keyless entry  ?

No, my mate has a Subaru Impreza, one of the seriously fast ones (special edition of a WRX / STI) and he tried after i told him, no joy.

It was so it saved the Battery on his 2nd key, which is why I did this at first with my Lexus, now disable the daily key when at home.

Vince

On 6/4/2018 at 4:29 PM, Omegajb said:

Hi All,

I was speaking to my dad the other day, and he mentioned that his neighbors son's car was stolen at home using his key signature. I have seen video's of this before but didn't think it was a regular occurrence. Bit of a long shot, but is anyone here aware if Lexus encrypt the keys? If not I will need to look into purchasing a signal blocker...

There is no encryption. The keys have a rolling code so you cannot 'grab' a code and replay it.

The keyless method of stealing vehicles works by extending the distance between the vehicle and the owners key. Encryption wouldn't make any difference, as the signal isn't inspected or altered, just relayed. The only real workaround would be to incorporate precision timing in the the system so you can detect if the signal has been extended - I'm not aware of any manufacturer doing that yet.

• Like 1