Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I will probably get killed for this?

I was looking round my local Lexus dealers at the new rx 450, great car and would buy one BUT, what the hell were they thinking when they designed the front of it? it looks more like something out of a Circus than a Luxury car!! The car looks perfect in every way but I just could not live with the front of that, I know design is a personal thing and some people might love it? but myself I will give this model a wide berth.  I do not understand why Lexus / Toyota do not look at other manufactures, look at the front of the Range Rover, Mercedes ML, even the Kia or for that matter the old RX 400h, I think they should stop trying to be so clever and stick with what most people want, a Luxury car that looks like it has a bit of class but not something you have to slide down under the steering wheel and pretend it's not you driving!!  Rant over lol. 

12 minutes ago, mudplug said:

I was looking round my local Lexus dealers at the new rx 450, great car and would buy one BUT, what the hell were they thinking when they designed the front of it? it looks more like something out of a Circus than a Luxury car!! The car looks perfect in every way but I just could not live with the front of that, I know design is a personal thing and some people might love it? but myself I will give this model a wide berth.  I do not understand why Lexus / Toyota do not look at other manufactures, look at the front of the Range Rover, Mercedes ML, even the Kia or for that matter the old RX 400h, I think they should stop trying to be so clever and stick with what most people want, a Luxury car that looks like it has a bit of class but not something you have to slide down under the steering wheel and pretend it's not you driving!!  Rant over lol. 

Looks great to me. 

Toyota/Lexus did look at other manufacturers. They barely sold anything in the UK when they were trying to compete and essentially made what functional yet boring cars, similiar to the Germans and JLR group. They were known for making reliable, boring vehicles suitable for 50+ drivers. 

Then 2012 happened and they decided to go their own way, do their own things and the sales have gone up indicating that the public likes cutting edge design in addition to Luxury. Luxury is a given in any of the premium vehicles you mentioned (ML, Range Rover....maybe not Kia though). Cutting edge design which is new and refreshing is not.

Not everyone wants to be part of the herd and buy an RR or a Merc ML and for one old customer they lose, they probably gain 2-3 new ones.

I mean I owned a 2nd gen RX300, essentially the same car you have but without the hybrid system. It was smooth, refined and luxurious, but it certainly didn't make me turn around to look at it when walking away.

Having said that, the 2nd gen RX looked pretty fresh when it came out - was extremely curvy and had a "coke bottle" shape which some simply hated. 

I'm in two minds here. I like the new cutting edge designs that Lexus now produce but am not convinced by the grill as they appear to be going a bit over the top with it. The new LS springs to mind. Overall a gorgeous looking vehicle but the grill just looks too big. However, I thought the same when Audi started with their big grills but now think they look ok. Shame about the rest of their bodies though!

I think if you're unsure of a car's styling when launched, it's probably a good thing as they soon become familiar and so more agreeable. Particularly with Lexus of course, given how bloomin' long they last. I like Lexus are ploughing their own furrow, rather than the minisculely-iterated 'timeless and elegant' designs design of their competitors. I was fortunate enough to have a good pore over an LC500 not long after it was launched, and seen close up it is full of lovely detailing. It's a right peacock of car!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gdh300 said:

I think if you're unsure of a car's styling when launched, it's probably a good thing as they soon become familiar and so more agreeable. Particularly with Lexus of course, given how bloomin' long they last. I like Lexus are ploughing their own furrow, rather than the minisculely-iterated 'timeless and elegant' designs design of their competitors. I was fortunate enough to have a good pore over an LC500 not long after it was launched, and seen close up it is full of lovely detailing. It's a right peacock of car!

It stands out much more than any 2+2 coupe that I can think of less than £100k. Blooming heck, it might actually be one of the most standout vehicles in £150k especially when you look at the Merc S coupe price etc

On 6/5/2018 at 1:46 PM, rayaans said:

It stands out much more than any 2+2 coupe that I can think of less than £100k. Blooming heck, it might actually be one of the most standout vehicles in £150k especially when you look at the Merc S coupe price etc

Indeed. Makes me wish I had worked harder at school, or had more natural talent, or was just luckier. Instead, I live a vicarious life via YouTube...

• Like 1

I must admit I found it a bit Marmite when I first saw the spindle grill but now I think it looks amazing on all of the cars from the CT to the LS and the LC is probably one of the most original and beautiful designs in a long time from any manufacturer.  Indeed wish I had the facelift 3RX just for the grill!  Since owning the Lexus I look at German cars and think how boring.  The Lexus styling can be challenging but it's never boring whereas BMW, Audi, Merc etc. saloons often look very similar and the SUVs are just bland.  And don't forget Rollers have huge grills!  

The only things that lets Lexus down is the switch layout and storage. Why oh why are my heated seat controls hidden under the centre armrest out of sight?  Now I could understand if the control was one that you only adjusted whilst stationary but not when it's one that you might want to adjust at any time.  And storage can be problematic.  The boot is a good size but what are those little cubbyholes with the beautifully crafted covers for?  And looking at the newer models they still haven't quite got there; they need somebody who can make the most of the space and who understands ergonomics

16 hours ago, Glover said:

I must admit I found it a bit Marmite when I first saw the spindle grill but now I think it looks amazing on all of the cars from the CT to the LS and the LC is probably one of the most original and beautiful designs in a long time from any manufacturer.  Indeed wish I had the facelift 3RX just for the grill!  Since owning the Lexus I look at German cars and think how boring.  The Lexus styling can be challenging but it's never boring whereas BMW, Audi, Merc etc. saloons often look very similar and the SUVs are just bland.  And don't forget Rollers have huge grills!  

The only things that lets Lexus down is the switch layout and storage. Why oh why are my heated seat controls hidden under the centre armrest out of sight?  Now I could understand if the control was one that you only adjusted whilst stationary but not when it's one that you might want to adjust at any time.  And storage can be problematic.  The boot is a good size but what are those little cubbyholes with the beautifully crafted covers for?  And looking at the newer models they still haven't quite got there; they need somebody who can make the most of the space and who understands ergonomics

The ergonomics are fine in the new RX. I can't complain and never look for where things are. 

I thought the 3RX had a sliding armrest which can be left in that position?  

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, rayaans said:

The ergonomics are fine in the new RX. I can't complain and never look for where things are. 

I thought the 3RX had a sliding armrest which can be left in that position?  

It does have a sliding armrest but even with it slid back the switches are still out of direct line of sight. To view them you have to look down and back; not a great idea when you're travelling down the road, even slowly!

I like it and if they took design cues from other companies where would the choice for consumers be? Being different is decisive but I am glad they set friends as opposed to following them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

I like it and if they took design cues from other companies where would the choice for consumers be? Being different is decisive but I am glad they set friends as opposed to following them.

I hated it when I first saw it ,but I have now warmed to it.......as have other Manufacturers!

I really hated the Mercedes W210 when it replaced the W124 in approx 1996.I bought one though and have kept it these last nearly 16 years.I warmed to that too !!

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder........and adventuristic, forward thinking, market changing designers???????

17 hours ago, Glover said:

It does have a sliding armrest but even with it slid back the switches are still out of direct line of sight. To view them you have to look down and back; not a great idea when you're travelling down the road, even slowly!

I cant remember ever looking at it to be honest.

I just used to switch it over using my left hand. It does have a clicky feel so you know when its changed from 3 to 2  I guess

On 6/4/2018 at 6:59 PM, mudplug said:

Rant over lol. 

I Lexus styling, in particular the "spindle grille" is very devising topic. I personally like it, but many people hate it...

One thing for sure, it is not accidental and it was actually done deliberately. You see - Lexus is quite new as a brand .. and I don't mean in UK, it is rather new brand soon to turn just 30. What they are doing - they trying to create the look which makes them to stand out, so that people can remember it. Once people can remember the brand only then it makes sense to create positive or negative image - currently people just don't know Lexus as a brand, so any recognition (even negative like yours) is better then none. Even thought you think it is ugly - now you know it is Lexus and when you see it on the street you will "give this model a wide berth" because you know it is Lexus... and that is exactly the goal of this design.

In marketing it is known as "brand recognition" and one quite well studied example is Go compare annoying adds: http://www.smarta.com/advice/sales-and-marketing/advertising-and-marketing/do-annoying-ads-work/

That is exactly what Lexus is doing - they make that grille in your face so that you remember them. Some people going to like it, some people going to consider them only because sub-consciously they not recognise the brand. Again many studies have proven that people will buy the brand which they recognise - what will you get Heinz ketchup or Valies vallie organic when you do your groceries next time... we all know the answer. People consider sub-consciously recognised brands as more trustworthy and are willing to pay more for their products - even if initial advertisement was actually annoying, negative etc.

So this is not some bad design ( or good if you like it) - it is rather clever physiological trap.

44 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

So this is not some bad design ( or good if you like it) - it is rather clever physiological trap.

I tend to agree but think it's more of a psychological trap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

I tend to agree but think it's more of a psychological trap!

yes... I blame spell-checker for this!... or simply the fact I cannot spell, I must admit there are quite few spelling mistakes in the post.

Random "I" in the beginning, then "sub-consciously they not now recognise the brand".. and so on.. 

Saw a blue 4RX with pan roof and ivory interior parked in a supermarket car park today.  Absolutely stunning; gleaming in the sun.  For me nothing else in the car park had anything like the same impact.

I spoke to the owner, he wasn't sure about the styling, he'd switched to Lexus after three new Range Rovers/Land Rovers, which he said had been very unreliable and on top of this when he'd raised issues with Land Rover Head Office they weren't interested even though he was a loyal customer so he switched to Lexus because of the reputation for excellent reliability and hybrid technology.

I'm not ready to switch yet but the 4RX is a definite maybe when I do.  One things for certain it will be Lexus or Toyota (Toyota if I decide to downsize!)