Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Total closure.

This is a question about an issue which I have not looked very carefully into, and while I am away from home, in other words I don't have the car with me at the moment. But here goes anyway.

Does the IS 300h Premium have central closing when the car is locked ? What I mean is, does the central locking system close the windows if they are open when the key fob is pressed ?

With my Merc E-class you could close the sunroof and all the windows by keeping the "lock" button on the key fob pressed. As long as you kept the "lock" button pressed then the windows would rise until they were fully closed. Then you release the button/ If the sunroof is open, and all the windows are open, then they will all close while the button is kept pressed.

I briefly tried the same thing on the IS 300h but nothing happened, but perhaps I didn't do it correctly. I didn't try it again, and I didn't look in the user manual either as I forgot.

Maybe someone might know if total closure does or doesn't work on the IS 300h.

Parkman.

Hi 

I tried this too and had no luck however, you can get a carista dongle and app and this allows you to unlock a whole load of features including that one. check it out 

cheers 

• Thanks 1

The feature works as your Merc, you have to hold down the lock button for the windows/roof to close. The opposite can be achieved with unlock.

Seems Lexus had too many complains from people coming back to their vehicles and finding all the windows open because they had sat on their keys, so these features are disabled by default on the 300h. As Carl has stated, something like Carista will allow you to enable these features, otherwise you will need your dealer to do it as these settings cannot be changed via the on-board menu system.

Carl, have you tried using the Carista dongle ? It looks quite interesting, although I probably couldn't justify a subscription for one car. Mind you, £34 for the year isn't very much.

The one thing that would concern me is whether the main dealer would see that one has accessed the computer system when the car goes in for service. I deal with company laptops in a minor way and in our service department I am aware that we can see what external equipment has been plugged into a computer. So I presume that when the car is in the garage then the operator could see that a programmer has been plugged in without it being a Lexus component.

Would that then void any warranty ? Again, my car is 2013 so I probably don't have any warranty left anyway !!

Parkman.

52 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Pretty sure that function (on Mercedes at least) was performed using IR rather than RF, one needs to point the fob at the driver's door handle?

Yes, that was the case with my 2004 E-class. You had to have the fob pointed at the small, square receiver in the door handle, and be no more than three inches away. If you moved the fob at all while the windows were rising then the windows would stop, and you then had to get back in the car, switch on the ignition and lift the windows as normal. You don't get a second opportunity.

And, yes, it is operated by IR, so it had to been in direct line of sight of the receiver.

I had a 1990 Merc W124 260E, which I sold recently, and that used the key in the door lock to close the windows and sun roof. You just kept the key turned in the lock position and everything closed. I can't understand that 25 years later modern cars don't have a total closure as standard, especially as it is now so simple using computer chips which are so easily programmed.

Parkman.

24 minutes ago, parkman said:

I had a 1990 Merc W124 260E, which I sold recently,

No!!!! 😍

25 minutes ago, parkman said:

that used the key in the door lock to close the windows and sun roof. You just kept the key turned in the lock position and everything closed. I can't understand that 25 years later modern cars don't have a total closure as standard, especially as it is now so simple using computer chips which are so easily programmed.

I think that method was quietly dropped after it became widely known (thanks to Watchdog) that the interior of every MKIV Golf based VAG vehicle (Golf, A3, Octavia, Leon) could be accessed using the same method but with a flat head screwdriver. Was a bit of a sore point at the time.

1 hour ago, parkman said:

Yes, that was the case with my 2004 E-class. You had to have the fob pointed at the small, square receiver in the door handle, and be no more than three inches away. If you moved the fob at all while the windows were rising then the windows would stop, and you then had to get back in the car, switch on the ignition and lift the windows as normal. You don't get a second opportunity.

And, yes, it is operated by IR, so it had to been in direct line of sight of the receiver.

I had a 1990 Merc W124 260E, which I sold recently, and that used the key in the door lock to close the windows and sun roof. You just kept the key turned in the lock position and everything closed. I can't understand that 25 years later modern cars don't have a total closure as standard, especially as it is now so simple using computer chips which are so easily programmed.

Parkman.

It is fitted as standard. You just have to enable it. Dealer will do it for free providing you know that its not their responsibility if you manage to flood the car in the rain

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

No!!!! 😍

I think that method was quietly dropped after it became widely known (thanks to Watchdog) that the interior of every MKIV Golf based VAG vehicle (Golf, A3, Octavia, Leon) could be accessed using the same method but with a flat head screwdriver. Was a bit of a sore point at the time.

I had to sell the W124 because I am moving house and I just needed to make room at my new house. I have a 1983 W126 500se, as well, and my IS 300h, so the 124 just had to go. The 126 is my preferred chariot as it only has 53,000 miles from new, and one owner from new. 

I am not sure whether the Golf, A3 etc. were around in 1990 though 😏 The 124 central closing also worked on the early remote key fobs, just that mine didn't use the IR keys, only the key itself. But the key did do a good job, it worked every time closing all four windows and the sunroof. You just had to remember to keep the key turned until everything was closed. Like the later, 2004 E-class, if you let the key go, the same as the later IR key fob if you took your finger off the button, then the windows and roof stopped and you had then to turn on the ignition and use the internal switches.

Parkman.

18 minutes ago, parkman said:

I am not sure whether the Golf, A3 etc. were around in 1990 though 😏 

They weren't. You'd have thought they knew better 10 years later! 

And I'm jealous for your cars.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, parkman said:

Carl, have you tried using the Carista dongle ? It looks quite interesting, although I probably couldn't justify a subscription for one car. Mind you, £34 for the year isn't very much.

The one thing that would concern me is whether the main dealer would see that one has accessed the computer system when the car goes in for service. I deal with company laptops in a minor way and in our service department I am aware that we can see what external equipment has been plugged into a computer. So I presume that when the car is in the garage then the operator could see that a programmer has been plugged in without it being a Lexus component.

Would that then void any warranty ? Again, my car is 2013 so I probably don't have any warranty left anyway !!

Parkman.

You need the dongle, several work but if you purchase the Carista one (around £15) you get a 1 month trial of the software - make the change and cancel the subscription.

Making those changes would not affect you warranty.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I have "total closure" but was moaning about the lack of available options for my RX via the likes of Carista.

Yes, I think the main issue is the cheap adapters they use don't support the propriety communications protocols used by Toyota for the body ECU so Carista haven't developed support within the app.

Techstream with a supported adapter would work - although the amount of customisation would still be less than some of the newer vehicles.

I just made the change in closure and windows opening  few weeks ago with Techstream on my GS300h, it works also for roof window keeping the remote open/close  switches pressed; probably same options are available for IS too.

I have successfully enabled opening / closing of windows via fob using TechStream on my Is300h. So the option is indeed available.

I had the setting activated by the dealer, didn't charge me.

Just looked at the carista app.  Does anyone have it.  I would be really interested to know if i can enable mirror tilting in reverse (website seems to suggest you can, but my understanding is that this is only possible with memory seats (which I don't have).

On 6/7/2018 at 8:56 AM, darrude said:

I had the setting activated by the dealer, didn't charge me.

Just looked at the carista app.  Does anyone have it.  I would be really interested to know if i can enable mirror tilting in reverse (website seems to suggest you can, but my understanding is that this is only possible with memory seats (which I don't have).

the option is there in carista but as you said you need the memory seat also,i enabled the feature on my last 300h

and it didnt work i didnt have the memory seats either but i had to try it

• Thanks 1