Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vehicle Change Insurance

Hi All, some advice needed please.

My current policy has 1.5 months to run but I'm changing my car this weekend so I've asked my insurance company to provide a quotation to change vehicle.

They want £85 to change. Does this sound right or should I just take out a new policy for the RCF?

They are a law unto themselves. They can charge you whatever they like and there is no one to say that's a rip off other than by trawling around the internet to find a better price. If I can beat it I will never go back to the ins co I am with to see if they can beat that for as far I am concerned they had their chance and they were only interested in fleecing as much money as they could. Motor Insurance = legalised theft.

I have always said where motoring is concerned if its a requirement by law that you should have something like road tax or insurance then it should be supplied by the government. If it is to be supplied by private companies like the MOT then it should be overseen closely by the government. End of rant, back to the pool and a long cool drink in the beautiful Spanish sunshine.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like they're including an admin fee? Normally can be waivered if you ask nicely.
If they're saying it's all to adjust to the new premium for the course of 1.5mths, they're saying your renewal will be £680 extra than your current policy!

33 minutes ago, Toothy said:

Sounds like they're including an admin fee? Normally can be waivered if you ask nicely.
If they're saying it's all to adjust to the new premium for the course of 1.5mths, they're saying your renewal will be £680 extra than your current policy!

Admin fee is £25 of the £85 so it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere when it comes to renewal.

32 minutes ago, Bluethunder said:

Admin fee is £25 of the £85 so it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere when it comes to renewal.

Its always more expensive when you come to change during the policy though. 

At renewal, I bet the price is actually quite competitive

I got a similar crap deal when I switched over my policy from my modified MX5 to the ISF, only 5 months left on my policy and they wanted £450 (Footman James) extra which was hard to swallow. Come renewal time they wanted £1200. They couldn't improve it at all when I asked them to get closer to the £520 More Than quote i ended up going with. 

7 hours ago, Bluethunder said:

Hi,

When you're due for insurance renewal please feel free to give us a try if you wish.

Regards,

Dan.

I had a bad experience 5 years back when i moved home and changed postcode ....  they loaded me with a huge extra fee stating the risky postcode was to blame.  I simply asked for evidence of that and they declined and simply said they did not have to prove it !

Which was quite true. I had no option but to pay tbh so at renewal i went elsewhere but of late have reverted to that same insurance coy coz their premiums are now very very reasonable compared to the market ( for me ) and the postcode ruse used was clearly just that ..............  to extract monies from me totally unfairly. My postcode is in an ok area coz my premiums are comparatively ok now.

I just can't trust insurers to be at all honest when setting suggested premiums .....  and I guess punters at large feel exactly the same as me ...........  insurers just prey on the vulnerable.

Shame on them

Malc

• Like 2

When I switched from my ISF to my GSF, my insurance company (named after a high-ranking Navy officer, providing cover for multiple cars) wanted to charge £250 extra for the remaining 3 months. 

My current insurer (named after a famous war politician) wanted £230 for an entire year’s cover.

It’s always fun and games around insurance renewal time. I’m sure you guys do the same as me - get the renewal quote, then go online to see what the going rate is, then phone your existing company to see if they can match/better it. A few years back I did just this, but the cheapest quote I obtained online was considerably cheaper than my renewal - from the *same* company. They couldn’t match it...?!

Back to the actual OP, £85 does seem a little steep. I think I’d pay £15 a time for any policy changes (which is still a rip off imo).

• Like 1

Business is business they behave the way they do because they can and frequently get away with it.

We have to have insurance we know that but the industry is a cartel and it’s very much the luck of the draw.

Just need to do your own research I guess, comparison sites would touch them for anything personally  but I understand why others do.

🐀

@Big Rat - My wife is a relationship manager between a very large insurer (none moaned about on here yet) and the comparison sites.

It has its perks....  Trust me..  we haven't taken out this many policies through them 😉

I work for same insurer but in the IT department.  Cost of declaring exhaust and intake modifications to ISF £13 🙂

15283013378225244277450442429819.jpg

• Like 1

This is the very reason why my post was a measured response online you never know who is reading and there background.

There is a certain isF owner on here him and wifey work for one and he has some interesting things to say...... his driving style is at odds with his profession but that is meant as a compliment 😁

That is some collection you have there, we saw some of those at Perth Zoo yesterday but the industry were talking about brings the ones in the next cage to mind....😂

D0458FB0-6042-4240-ACE3-DD176B36E1FC.jpeg.958b9aa40e69bf2f8c843eb03a27cf61.jpeg

😂😂😂

🐀

• Haha 1