Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 300 2005 timing belt change

Hi guys,

Just about to do my timing belt change and I'm looking for a complete kit water pump idlers everything, would be nice to get all the other drive belts as well... also I want the very best quality

Can anyone steer me in the direction of a good supplier or just go to Lexus directly?

Go to Auto Doc for the best prices.

For the water pump get the AISIN.  Approx £44.  It is exactly the same product as the genuine Lexus item that is sold for around £100 from a Lexus dealer.  AISIN make/supply the Lexus water pumps.

For timing belt and idler pack get the one from Blueprint.  Blueprint make very good products for japanese cars.

• Like 2

Just spoke to a friend of a friend who happens to work for Lexus as a technician and this was what he said to me with regard to changing the timing belt on my 2005 Lexus RX 300 66k miles

Just to compare prices of parts I asked him if Lexus do an actual kit of genuine spares to carryout this job, he replied huh? A kit surely you mean a timing belt, they don't actually supply a kit so to speak, no reason to, how many miles has the car done?

I replied... the car is 13 years old and its done 66k

He replied... ok so its hardly run in lol, you don't need a kit I would be very surprised if the water pump was worn out and the idlers are bomb proof, there not cheap rubbish like Fords...his words not mine! The Lexus idlers will do many many thousands of miles no bother at all, and the water pumps too, so you need a new belt be about £44.00 bud

What that's it? I replied

Yep, don't take in all this nonsense on the internet! (meaning what I read on YouTube) 66k is very low miles on these motors, purely in the interest of being professional and ultra thorough I would check everything over, all of the idler pulley's check them for wear/play have a look see the water pump is not leaking but I would be very very surprised if anything required replacing and by the way genuine Idler pulleys's are over £100 and that's because they are exceptional quality compared to some aftermarket parts and other car manufacturers parts

Any of this sound like B.S or this guy sound like he knows his stuff???

I've had this car about 2 years and I am chuffed to bits with it, I would go so far to say I don't want to part with it, I do wish I had air suspension though as it is a bit choppy but four McPherson Struts are gonna do that, I guess new models have improved not that it bothers me all that much, I just notice it on bad roads but that's my only real gripe with the car

I pulled out the dipstick for the engine and gearbox and the oil looks clean? How is that possible I ask myself??? I know that it's been in there 2 years because when I bought the car it had a main service carried out by Lexus, it's done about 10k so I was thinking about doing a change, I just can't get over how clean the oil is...

There is a video on YouTube where a guy carries out scientific tests on oil filters from loads of different leading brands and Toyota came out on top! Perhaps that's why my engine oil is so clean, my point being I have no reason to assume parts on my engine would be defective/worn out at 66k  perhaps I'm wrong if so please comment below

• Like 1

I won't say he's talking BS but...

First of all, if you took it into a Lexus dealer for a timing belt change then that is all they would do. They wouldn't change the idlers, pulleys or water pump unless you specifically told them to do those items as well.

The main reason why people change all those items at once is cost. It's a long job and the vast majority of the cost is the labour charge. Now then, the water pump and all those other parts live in the same area as the cam belt. If you asked them to change the cam belt, we'll say that the job costs £300 as an example. If you ask them to change the water pump at the same time, it may add on, say, £50 to the job, making it £350 in total.

However, if you only have the belt changed and it costs you £300, if your water pump starts leaking 6 months later, 90 percent of the work to do the belt will have to be done again to get to the water pump, so instead of just an extra £50, you'll end up with another bill of more than £300 - which is why people have them done at the same time.

Also, belts deteriorate with time, not just mileage. It may look perfect to the naked eye or to you and me, but there will be microscopic changes to that belt and it's just not worth taking the risk of it failing. Preventative maintenance is the operative phrase.

Extreme example, but I remember a milkman who thought his timing belt looked perfect so he went beyond the recommended time to change it and paid dearly for that mistake. I can't remember the exact ins and outs but the van spent a lot of time idling while he was out of it actually delivering the milk. The odometer said something like 70k miles or whatever but the belt had actually covered the equivalent of more than 100k or something, due to all the time it spent with the engine idling but no wheels turning, so no mileage clocking up.

Our 2005 RX300 had a new cambelt, idlers, pulleys, water pump and 10 litres of Toyota Super Long Life Pink Coolant for about £460 at a local independent place at about 80,000 miles and 11 years old. I just wouldn't risk it.

• Like 2

Hi John thanks for your interesting comments, I have the car partially stripped down in my workshop, I'm a marine engineer and I always do my own repairs however not being familiar with the pro's and con's of these particular motors I decided to do some research, I like to be well prepared...

I must be honest I started out with a plan to change the lot idlers pump everything, this was based mainly on thinking it would be a nightmare to get at should I get an issue with something else like the water pump later on, having got it apart its not as bad as I was LED to believe, yeah its tight for space but it only took me 20 minutes to strip it down so this will probably take me 21/2 hours job time taking my time and I'm not familiar with this car

At this point I'm seriously considering just changing the belt over and I'll have a close inspection of everything while I'm at it, I would prefer to leave the genuine Lexus parts in place rather than fit aftermarket parts if you know what I mean, also I'm not comfortable with dumping perfectly serviceable parts for no good reason, if somethings worn then that's a different matter I'll changed it out while I'm there

You would think that Lexus would want to sell me more parts but far from that they were trying to prevent me from wasting it, rather refreshing I thought, good to get the opinion of others though thanks again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rexlex said:

Can anyone confirm 219NM for the bottom pully bolt?

Fair enough on your comments above Robert.

I didn't realise that you're an engineer. I used to love working on my own car but I can't do it anymore now due to a back injury at work that was bad enough to force me into medical retirement.

I can't confirm the torque setting off the top of my head but here's a link to a pdf version of the RX300 workshop manual. Just be sure to do as it says in the README file regarding how to open it and you should be good to go.

• Like 2

I'd tend to agree with the Lexus chap...  I'm an engineer and do my own repairs.  There were lots of problems with European cars and water pumps, but Toyota/Lexus are a different quality.  Now it seems mechanics use this argument as a lazy response, without really thinking it through.

The last change I did (Avensis), I was so impressed by the quality of the running gear.. I changed the idlers as I had them in my blueprint kit, but didn't bother with the water pump, everything was in great condition, no leaks, no rumbles, smooth and no play.  My rationale was, if the original parts are better quality, and not worn, then replacing with sub-standard parts (by Toyota standard) is actually introducing a potential problem, as opposed to any preventative maintenance. 

to be honest, I was so impressed by my old Avensis, I refuse to buy Euro again .. opting for Lexus for the comfort!

• Like 1

I can't speak about others, but for me, brought up with terrible French cars (thinking I was doing better than my fathers worse history with British leyland cars 😞 ), I had to learn how to fix them (regularly), and to be fair quite enjoyed the learning experience ... but as soon as I got a taste for the Japanese quality, would never look back.

From my experience in engineering, making sure things are designed well, screwed together well, made to be easily repaired/serviced/supported .... I really appreciate the effort Toyota/Lexus put in, the extra bit of thought about choice of metals, fastenings, connectors, simple tooling, (mostly) simple servicing...  that's ignoring the horrific fuel filter on my IS200d from (grrrr .. reackon they had an Audi designer doing that design) ..

• Like 1

Agreed. I have no engineering experience and very much live by "know your limits" but even I can appreciate how these things are put together. Little things like changing a bulb or securing the jack. Thought has gone into it. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 10:00 PM, jumbojake said:

I'd tend to agree with the Lexus chap...  I'm an engineer and do my own repairs.  There were lots of problems with European cars and water pumps, but Toyota/Lexus are a different quality.  Now it seems mechanics use this argument as a lazy response, without really thinking it through.

The last change I did (Avensis), I was so impressed by the quality of the running gear.. I changed the idlers as I had them in my blueprint kit, but didn't bother with the water pump, everything was in great condition, no leaks, no rumbles, smooth and no play.  My rationale was, if the original parts are better quality, and not worn, then replacing with sub-standard parts (by Toyota standard) is actually introducing a potential problem, as opposed to any preventative maintenance. 

to be honest, I was so impressed by my old Avensis, I refuse to buy Euro again .. opting for Lexus for the comfort!

My late father used to say if it runs good leave it alone! In a lot of cases I believe that's true, a friend of mine has a VW with 163k and I was looking over it the other day and its still got the original exhaust on it! The engine doesn't look as though its been touched apart from the usual maintenance and he's had this car from new, there is an argument for certain things being left alone but of course it always pays to change the belt over when its due, I think mine should of been done at 10 years not 13! I tell you what I bet there's nothing wrong with it...rather not find out the hard way though be a real shame to ruin a good motor...

On 6/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, sorcerer said:

Fair enough on your comments above Robert.

I didn't realise that you're an engineer. I used to love working on my own car but I can't do it anymore now due to a back injury at work that was bad enough to force me into medical retirement.

I can't confirm the torque setting off the top of my head but here's a link to a pdf version of the RX300 workshop manual. Just be sure to do as it says in the README file regarding how to open it and you should be good to go.

Muchas gracias, I give it a try. 

• Like 1

yes, always adhere to the official service schedule (eg timing belt, filters etc) .. but for the rest.. check it and if it is ok, leave it alone.  Avoid being distractied by habits of lazy but well meaning mechanics, applying logic based on  flimsy Euro components

No luck with John's WSM, I'm running win 10 pro and I don't think it's compatible, so I'm still looking for torque loading's for the bottom pulley bolt, I have been told 219NM ideally would like to get one or two confirmations if possible or I be ringing up Lexus on Mundy mornin, I come over all Dorset then lol 

there are some manual on line.... not sure if this is right car, but easy to look around.

https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/rx_330_awd/v6-3.3l_(3mz-fe)/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/engine/timing_components/camshaft_gear/sprocket/component_information/service_and_repair/camshaft_(lh)/

my preference is to go onto the the official Lexus website, and pay 3 Euro's for the service instructions for your exact car.  I've done this for my IS200d and in the 1hour, downloaded enough info for all my servicing needs, and some other jobs I could think of at the time

Thanks John, I see they have 220NM, I was told 219NM so it looks like I'm in the right area, manuals aren't what they used to be by the looks of things, ah the days of the old Haynes paper manual eh, they always provided what you needed!

So I finally finished up the timing belt change on my RX 300, and although the job went better than expected I'm not going to say that it was easy as it was very tight for space and really very awkward to get at things, a transversely mounted V6 is probably not the best way to go

I only replaced the timing belt and I used a genuine Lexus belt, I have to say the idlers looked like they were brand new and the water pump was the same with no detectable wear and the idlers look very good quality, my friend was right I can confirm that the new genuine idlers are in the region of a 100 pounds each, some may disagree but I'm very happy leaving the existing one's in place they only did 66k no reason to change anything, I tested the belt tension-er and the function was perfect, also I thoroughly examined the drive belts for the alternator and the power steering pump and they also look new, no cracking nothing so either they were changed on a service or they are just awesome quality, for the record the old timing belt had no signs of wear or any kind of degradation but obviously this was replaced

I took the car for a spin and everything is very smooth and quiet so I'm happy with that another good job off my list, I did however notice that my brake pads are down to about an eighth of an inch so I guess that's the next job!  

• Like 2

I can report that the car is going really very well, might be my imagination but it feels smoother more responsive and as though I am not giving it so much gas but still getting good performance, maybe the original valve timing was off a tooth on the belt? Or maybe the timing belt was a bit stretched, I spent a lot of time getting the valve timing spot on and it looks as though my patients really paid off, very pleased with the car even gave it a full valet and put some of that Rain ex stuff on the windows, totally recommending the Rain ex! My wipers are working brilliantly and the windows go up and down even more silently!

Got my new brake pads I went for genuine Lexus pads! Eighty bucks a set! Is that expensive? Been a few years since I worked on cars... I thought to myself cheap pads will probably burn up quicker so I'll just pay the money but also I just like using genuine parts

Just noticed the ASF light flashing! I was wondering when the sensor would pack up as it does seem to be a common problem, I'll go for the WD40 approach first of all but the linkage isn't broke so maybe its just sticking, I guess older cars can turn into hobbies...although  I can live with the little problems in fact it is quite satisfying fixin stuff lol

I thought the rams on my boot lid were knackered as the boot wouldn't open! Then I thought about it and the rams don't open the boot they just stop it falling on your head when in the open position! They may "assist" the boot motor but I think the main function is just to keep the heavy boot lid  open and it does that very well as I discovered after testing it, so I figured out the problem was that in the hot weather the boot lid sticks to the boot rubber over night and so the safety system kicks in and knocks out the motor when i try to open it, so I got some of that plumbers silicone grease and rubbed it round the rubber and also the boot lid and know it works like brand new! Another victory in project RX300! Yeay! Just needed some TLC Robs top tip for the day...get some grease round your rubber! Sounds almost rude! How very dare you! lol

Probably the Carnauba wax in car wash products that causes the problem! When you think about it wax softens when it gets hot then it solidifies when it cools, so during the day its ok then it cools overnight and hence the boot gets stuck in the morning, just my little theory in any event the grease works...so no need to go buyin yo new rams!!!!! K-ching

Good to hear all is well after the belt change 👍

Best thing I've ever come across for window rubbers/door seals etc is Gummi-Pflege Sometimes stuff like silicone etc can start to squeak after a little while. And I think you're correct. It's wax/sealant on the rubber that can effect it.

9 hours ago, Rexlex said:

Got my new brake pads I went for genuine Lexus pads! Eighty bucks a set! Is that expensive? Been a few years since I worked on cars... I thought to myself cheap pads will probably burn up quicker so I'll just pay the money but also I just like using genuine parts

Genuinely pleased that things are coming together for you but just on the point above, I don't know if the price is good, bad, or indifferent, but you do know don't you, that Lexus don't make brake pads, batteries, exhausts or any other 'consumables' and they just buy in from the people who do make them, ergo, there is really no such thing as 'genuine Lexus' pads?

Yeah I guess that's true with a lot of So called "genuine parts" there has to be a certain amount of outsourcing, the way I look at it is that Lexus/Toyota commissioned a certain company to make said parts to their exacting standards, the pads that I took out had Toyota written on them and the new ones that I put back in had Toyota written on them, when I say I used genuine parts I mean parts that passed Lexus/Toyota quality control, the pads that came out did a good job they lasted well and they were very quiet in operation, I have come across aftermarket pads that were noisy, created a lot of brake dust and didn't wear very well, so based on what experience I have with this car the Toyota pads were the right choice

I noticed that my alternator belt had Mitsubishi written on it and when I inspected it it looked brand new, its done at least 10k since I've had the car and probably a lot more than that, its given me no problems at all its very quiet in operation and clearly its lasting well, so when I replace it I'll put the same make back on, "if it runs good leave it be" my late father would say and that simple philosophy seems to work and so I stick with it until I know different, dad was rather annoyingly always right lol 

So I changed my brake pads yesterday but boy was that tedious in this heat lol, I just couldn't move took me about three hours! I gave the sliders a service just for good practice but there was really nothing wrong with them, took the car for a spin and it all feels nice, next job ASF sensor, I had a look at it and it looks fine no sign of damage so I think probably a new sensor will cure that problem.