Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was browsing eBay and found this car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-GS-450H-SE-L-A-Hybrid-Electric-2006-Bargain/123169790161?hash=item1cad7dd8d1:g:W0YAAOSwRNRbE5iX

I have to say it looks nice.

I currently have an IS220d but fancy upgrading to a hybrid at some point in the future. I'm not keen on the off road look and prefer the large luxury saloon look.

Is a GS hybrid a good reliable car? I see it's no longer made. Would you get 40mpg in rural journeys or better mpg on town runs?

Many thanks. James:thumbsup:

James the GS450 is a unique and amazing machine due to its CVT gearbox and Hybrid batteries which produce phenominal accelaration.

However at thet mileage and age you will need to budget for some repairs - some of these can be expected - others are common to this marque such as:

1) Hybrid Battery failures - Normally one or two cells start to break causing hybrid light to illuminate  - repairs start at around £700

2) Seized Calipers

3) Possible gearbox oil pump failure - lexus will happily sell you another gearbox - if you are good with spanners and fancy getting underneath the car then there is a fix which doesnt cost alot

4) Creaky dash - members have had some success with pushing felt down the sides of the dash

5) Rust on leading edge of the bonnet

6) Headlight bulb failures  - can be fixed cheapily

7) Exhaust back boxes tend to rust and fall off - if you want the same silent setup you need to goto lexus or find a good exhaust place or buy some from poland through eBay.

😎 alloys need refurbing at this age - this can be tricky becuase you need to remove the chrome inserts which require a bit of patience and brute force - break these and you will need to go back to lexus.

9) TPMS valves also give trouble - good aftermarket options are limited.

Average mpg differs due to length of journeys, weather etc - the Hybrid system will play a big part locally but on the motroway run it will mainly be the 3.5l petrol engine doing the work.

I have had a LS430 for over 5 years and it has touchwood proved to be very reliable - I have often thought of trying a GS450H but coudnt really come up with a good enough reason. I just wanted to experience the acceleration but given most of my driving is localish runs and now im used to driving in a relaxed sedate style i dont think there is much point.

Hope this gives some insight!

• Like 1

Great info, thank you:thumbsup:

Not too bad then.

Seems more of a commuting to work in a town where the braking/stopping in traffic will regenerate the batteries, rather than rural use where mostly no stopping.

Sounds as if you need to budget 1-1.5k in potential repairs as with most used cars. I Love all the spec but not potential expensive issues, especially with a limited self employed income.

I have a Volvo 240 & 940 estate for the last 10 years and very cheap to buy and maintain. Very reliable and not too complex.

Sounds as if any hybrid that's older is too complex and potentially expensive repairs for me and my budget.

James

2 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Great info, thank you:thumbsup:

Not too bad then.

Seems more of a commuting to work in a town where the braking/stopping in traffic will regenerate the batteries, rather than rural use where mostly no stopping.

Sounds as if you need to budget 1-1.5k in potential repairs as with most used cars. I Love all the spec but not potential expensive issues, especially with a limited self employed income.

I have a Volvo 240 & 940 estate for the last 10 years and very cheap to buy and maintain. Very reliable and not too complex.

Sounds as if any hybrid that's older is too complex and potentially expensive repairs for me and my budget.

James

Mine has given 35mpg (OBC figures) over 50,000 miles and has cost me nothing in repairs in the 5 years since I bought it !!

It is faster than 95% of cars on the road (if you want it to be)  and is majesterial to drive and own.

It is very much in the minority of vehicles on the road and in my opinion "the minority are the best informed"

• Like 2