Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2013 LS600H for £20k on Auto Trader

went to see this today as looking to upgrade my LS460. It is no doubt great value but service history was not unfortunately complete. The car was owned by Sir Robert McAlpine and the seller seems like a really genuine guy with some really nice cars for sale which all seem to be one owner. However in 130000 there was only evidence of 3 or 4 services at Lexus. It may very well be likely it has been serviced more but unfortunately he did not have any paperwork for it. The last service at lexus was at around the 100k mark so has done 30k miles since. I have to say the car exterior was spotless and the drive was absolutely amazingly smooth. The rear ottoman looked well used though! If someone is willing to look past the patchy service history it is an absolute steal at that price. Bit more service history and I would have definitely bought it as it's probably never likely to break down

On a separate note he had some nice bentley flying spurs for sale for a similar price. I've always fancied that car but not sure could risk the repair bills as they are probably very likely to break down as they get older

• Like 1

I think if between the vendor and the buyer they would agree to arrange for a 10k service and inspection to be carried out at a local Lexus dealer then it would be a   relatively risk free purchase providing nothing nasty was revealed during the service/inspection. If the car was then going to be a keeper then the lack of initial service history would become more meaningless as more Lexus or other services were carried out. I'm guessing the 100k service is a biggie so if that has been done at Lexus the again that provides more reassurance. I think it still looks a good price. As for the Bentley, I agree that the risk factor would be high and I would bet despite the arguably better exterior looks/presence of the Bentley that the LS is actually a nicer place to be.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, abdallian said:

went to see this today as looking to upgrade my LS460. It is no doubt great value but service history was not unfortunately complete. The car was owned by Sir Robert McAlpine and the seller seems like a really genuine guy with some really nice cars for sale which all seem to be one owner. However in 130000 there was only evidence of 3 or 4 services at Lexus. It may very well be likely it has been serviced more but unfortunately he did not have any paperwork for it. The last service at lexus was at around the 100k mark so has done 30k miles since. I have to say the car exterior was spotless and the drive was absolutely amazingly smooth. The rear ottoman looked well used though! If someone is willing to look past the patchy service history it is an absolute steal at that price. Bit more service history and I would have definitely bought it as it's probably never likely to break down

On a separate note he had some nice bentley flying spurs for sale for a similar price. I've always fancied that car but not sure could risk the repair bills as they are probably very likely to break down as they get older

I used to do business with the company who owned the car and they had their own plant workshops I suspect the servicing was done in house and I have no doubt to the highest standard.

• 3 weeks later...

With regard to the full service history I have already posted the reasons probable for the ommision and to be honest at the sale price its really not an issue. The car was probably the chauffeur driven chief execs car and the video showing is one of the Mcalpine's at a steam rally as the family are large contributors to such undertakings ,Sir William Mcalpine died in March this year.

If I were in the market for a 600 I would probably have bought it myself but it is a car that one needs to sit in the back of and I cannot for the life in me get the wife to wear a chauffeurs hat.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ambermarine said:

,do your homework before you post.

I did my homework almost certainly the same as everyone else reading any topic, > I read what Abdallion (OP) wrote and the owner of the car, according to what Abdallion wrote was Sir Robert McAlpine.

Yes I knew Robert he person was dead he died sometime before WW2 & not only do I know it's a company, but, as it so happens I was sent on contract from Sir Roberts Park Lane office as far back as 1964 (Dec) to work on an oil pipeline from Durban to Jo'burgh, McAlpine Sommerville were joint contractors. Sir Robert paid my wages.....bless 'em

Maybe you could have a chat with Abdallion,  he/she was my mentor here & he seems to think it was owned Sir Robert McAlpine

Quote Abdallion,''The car was owned by Sir Robert McAlpine''

According to the original seller they quoted the original owners as the construction company we are discussing ,it is not uncommon for prestige vehicles to be owned outright instead of leasing to enable in house upkeep by their own plant facilities avoiding dealership costs,we used to buy our vehicles outright for the same reasons.

Obviously the stamp in the service record cannot be applied but a service record will be held by the company's plant department. 

although I am sure it is a great car, the price is not that much of a bargain

when will reach  4 ( not five) years of age a  7 series BMW at the same more or less list price RRP when new ( £95.5K)  will have guaranteed retained value as far as BMW is concerned about £14K 

Obviously at 5 years price would have been even less ( yes I know that Lexus is a vastly better build car, just saying for reference)

• Like 1

in all honesty I though Sir Robert Mcalpine was the name of the owner as that was what was written on the log book 🤪

it wasnt till I got home and researched it that realised it was the name of a company (Doh)

Anyway I was actually about to buy the car but the original seller (not TH Boler) was a bit off handish with me, not returning phone calls or replying to emails as if though he did'nt want to sell it to me so I just backed off

On 7/5/2018 at 10:52 AM, dendonc said:

What does 'night view'  do/mean?

Night vision was a quite common equipment on LS or GS - but not in UK 🙂

In short it is an infrared camera which is showing image on sat nav screen and detect objects in dark way before headlight will put some light on them.

Example: