Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2013 GS450h Multimedia System Stopped working

Hi,

I have a problem with the Multimedia system on my GS.

I went away for a week and left the GS on  the drive. On my return the Nav, Reverse Cam & Radio were all dead - wouldnt turn on

I checked all the fuses and all ok.

After driving the car for about 45 mins or so it all comes alive and starts working. If you turn the car off then on again all works straight away, but when I park the car overnight it takes a good 45 min drive again the next day to wake up.

I have checked the Battery and it is good. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this problem could be as its driving me mad!

Thanks

Really sounds a bit odd. How long have you owned the car for and is this just started happening.

Logically, the only think that makes sense is that there's a problem with Battery or alternator. Electronic component issues tend to work the other way round - i.e functional when cold, failure once they've warmed up.

I'd be inclined to check those items first and go from there. 

I've had the car 3 years and it's never missed a beat until this.

I've had the Battery checked and it's good. The alternator must be ok as the Battery doesn't go flat and there would be a warning light for that.

Driving me mad as Lexus want £3k for a new unit and I'm of the opinion anything can be fixed!

I don't own a GS so I might be wrong, but I seem to recall something about two batteries being fitted (aux battery)? Any GS owners care to comment....

Ok so the aux Battery is in the boot, there's no Battery in the engine bay. I still think the symptoms point to a failing aux Battery and that would be my first step. It may still read correctly with a multimeter but the electrics on a GS are quite sophisticated and the possibly is that there is some kind of current-sensing going on with priority of available power being allocated to critical systems. 

is the Battery fitted the original factory fitted one? if so, 5 years is about the expected life. If you really don't want to stump for a new Battery without proof, see if you can loan a good Battery from somewhere and run with two batteries connected with jump leads as a test to see what happens. 

13 hours ago, bobmc said:

I don't own a GS so I might be wrong, but I seem to recall something about two batteries being fitted (aux battery)? Any GS owners care to comment....

Two batteries are fitted "both in the boot" on vehicles with active anti roll bars fitted. The roll bars are split with an electric motor driven gear box that winds the anti roll bar up to keep the car level when cornering. This uses information from the steering angle, the yore sensor, and road speed.
Because of the high current required to drive the system a separate 12 volt Battery is used.

John

14 hours ago, Knebworth01 said:

I've had the car 3 years and it's never missed a beat until this.

I've had the battery checked and it's good. The alternator must be ok as the battery doesn't go flat and there would be a warning light for that.

Driving me mad as Lexus want £3k for a new unit and I'm of the opinion anything can be fixed!

The GS450H does not have an alternator. This is because an alternator is driven from the engine, and the engine in a hybrid is not always running. In the periods that the engine is not running the Battery would not be being charged.

The 12 volt Battery is charge from a DC to DC converter from the high voltage traction Battery when the car is in ready mode, and charges the 12 volt even when the engine is not running. It is therefore not required to drive the car to charge the 12 volt Battery merely putting the car into ready mode, and park will charge it.

Never leave the car in neutral with the car in ready mode. In this condition the engine cannot start "it may continue to run if already running", but in this mode the high voltage Battery cannot charge from the engine, but it continues to charge the 12 volt Battery. It also will continue to run the AC , and after a period can become low enough not to charge the 12 volt Battery, but also more importantly not have enough energy left to start the engine. this can happen in as little as 15 minutes.
If this happens a trip to the dealer is required via a trailer to charge the high voltage Battery. It is the high voltage Battery that is used to start the engine. Hybrids do not have a conventional 12 volt starter motor, and cannot be tow started.

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links