Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ASC button

21 minutes ago, Uti said:

Hi!

What is that ASC button in my IS300H? I don`t find any info of that anywhere!

Uti

It's for the active sound control. It makes a noise to simulate gear changes to provide an "enjoyable driving experience".

Personally I think it's rubbish and leave it off

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uti said:

Hi!

What is that ASC button in my IS300H? I don`t find any info of that anywhere!

Uti

From the handbook, under 'Switches - ASC, Active Sound Control'

"The ASC system is an electronic sound system that generates engine sound,
conveying the kinetic situations of the vehicle’s acceleration and deceleration
to the driver through the speakers inside the instrument panel.
The vehicle’s response to the driver’s acceleration behavior and shift operations
are also conveyed in sound.
When sport mode is selected, the sound conveyed to the driver will be louder"

Personally I find it highly entertaining 😉 bit like a Play Station driving simulator ...

Had a play with this this morning.

When in EV mode it does not make a sound (as you may expect).

When in sport mode it makes a droning engine sound simulating gear change noise as you accelerate. It even make the droning noise when it kicks in to EV mode and the rev counter says 0 rpm!

Can't really see why anyone would find it useful, they could at least put a nice V10 soundtrack from the LFA in.

Thank`s for all the answers. Now I know almost all the knobs and buttons in my car! With ASC the car sounds almost like there was a faulty wheel bearing! I traded my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid to this 2018 Lexus IS300H. Atleast Lexus is easier to wash in my garage! I don?t need steps anymore!

Uti

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

.... they could at least put a nice V10 soundtrack from the LFA in....

When Lexus introduced this gimmick on its cars I recall someone suggesting the possible sale as an optional of a more varied soundtrack consisting of your own choice or choices of supercars.   I’d be surprised if someone somewhere has not been working on the idea in the forlorn hope of getting an enthusiastic response...

8 hours ago, Hadrian said:

Adding sound was probably to try and make car reviewers happy. Most of them not having a clue about CVT transmission,

Very probably so.  The result was to leave the CVT open to criticism of being so bloodless as to call for an injection of synthetic sound.  One can only presume that customer research showed Lexus that a significant number of drivers still prefer noise to silence.  Fortunately the ASC switch-off option caters for everybody.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

Had a play with this this morning.

When in EV mode it does not make a sound (as you may expect).

When in sport mode it makes a droning engine sound simulating gear change noise as you accelerate. It even make the droning noise when it kicks in to EV mode and the rev counter says 0 rpm!

Can't really see why anyone would find it useful, they could at least put a nice V10 soundtrack from the LFA in.

One thing I love about my Lexus is its quietness. Glad I haven't got that gimmick.