Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good Morning all,

I have read up a few stories about the corrosion in the radiator allowing the ATF to mix with water and causing transmission failure. I have ordered a new denso radiator in the hope that will save me from this issue which is to come. Would I also need to change the pipes from the gearbox to the radiator?

34 minutes ago, LS road runner said:

Good Morning all,

I have read up a few stories about the corrosion in the radiator allowing the ATF to mix with water and causing transmission failure. I have ordered a new denso radiator in the hope that will save me from this issue which is to come. Would I also need to change the pipes from the gearbox to the radiator?

Hi John, I would change the two hoses, I found one of mine to be cracked so I would recommend doing the same.  An easy job but you'll have to adapt the new radiator slightly as it won't be identical to the original.  The info is all here somewhere.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Hi John, I would change the two hoses, I found one of mine to be cracked so I would recommend doing the same.  An easy job but you'll have to adapt the new radiator slightly as it won't be identical to the original.  The info is all here somewhere.

Thanks Phil

Can you please explain a little bit more about adapting to the new radiator?

I would have assumed that it would be the same

i got it from rockauto. 

2 hours ago, cruisermark said:

phil changed is - here is a write up

thanks, i will be getting my mechanic to do the job for me, we will be doing ATF fluid, stainer and gearbox sump gasket at the same time. 

I just need to order the hoses from toyota on monday and get the job rolling, just waiting on the VAT letter to come before I receive my radiator from rock auto. 

8 hours ago, LS road runner said:

Thanks Phil

Can you please explain a little bit more about adapting to the new radiator?

I would have assumed that it would be the same

i got it from rockauto. 

I would suggest waiting until it comes from the States in case it does match the original in which case you'll be fine. If not, post on here what you have and go from there.

On 6/9/2018 at 7:12 PM, The-Acre said:

I would suggest waiting until it comes from the States in case it does match the original in which case you'll be fine. If not, post on here what you have and go from there.

yes ill wait. 

As a non OEM brand you might want to consider this product.  Nissens has an impressive website and I do have a brand new Nissen Rad for my LS400  (cost just £45) which I have yet to install. So, I can't give any advice but for a cheaper product this may not hurt quite so much, bearing in mind the unknown as regards your auto box state

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-NISSENS-COOLANT-RADIATOR-64764-LEXUS-LS-430-2000-2006-TOP-QUALITY/273193844187?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&epid=1037581648&hash=item3f9b9f3ddb:g:hGIAAOSwWFFa7GuX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

As a non OEM brand you might want to consider this product.  Nissens has an impressive website and I do have a brand new Nissen Rad for my LS400  (cost just £45) which I have yet to install. So, I can't give any advice but for a cheaper product this may not hurt quite so much, bearing in mind the unknown as regards your auto box state

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-NISSENS-COOLANT-RADIATOR-64764-LEXUS-LS-430-2000-2006-TOP-QUALITY/273193844187?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&epid=1037581648&hash=item3f9b9f3ddb:g:hGIAAOSwWFFa7GuX

Nissen radiators were used by some Merc Indys to replace W211 radiators which had given up.

My automatic 1996 Volvo 940 radiator coolant started leaking. Crack on the top rad hose stub (very common) so replaced the rad with a nissens unit. It's been faultless on my 940 auto and an exact fit with no modifications needed as I fitted it! Covered around 7k and car now done 195,000.

Also had to change my 1989 Volvo 240 GLT automatic rad as the gearbox alloy pipes had a hole in one of them at a steel clip! The garage found the connections seized to the original rad and so for ease got a new nissens radiator installed 5 years ago. Fitted perfectly and fault free. Covered at least 30k. Now on 234,000 miles.  

I also have a nissens AC condenser in the 940. Again excellent.

Getting my 2006 lexus IS 220d serviced tomorrow and looking for the AC leak at the same time. If condenser, yes nissens!

James:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

hi

I paid £49 for denso from states and then VAT when it arrives. I am trying to use everything OE on the car. 

I ordered the pipes from the gearbox sump to the radiator from today (4 pieces) for £97 from Toyota 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

My automatic 1996 Volvo 940 radiator coolant started leaking. Crack on the top rad hose stub (very common) so replaced the rad with a nissens unit. It's been faultless on my 940 auto and an exact fit with no modifications needed as I fitted it! Covered around 7k and car now done 195,000.

Also had to change my 1989 Volvo 240 GLT automatic rad as the gearbox alloy pipes had a hole in one of them at a steel clip! The garage found the connections seized to the original rad and so for ease got a new nissens radiator installed 5 years ago. Fitted perfectly and fault free. Covered at least 30k. Now on 234,000 miles.  

I also have a nissens AC condenser in the 940. Again excellent.

Getting my 2006 lexus IS 220d serviced tomorrow and looking for the AC leak at the same time. If condenser, yes nissens!

James:thumbsup:

Good to know Nissen products are good. They cost the same in the UK as paying for Denso products from Rockauto anyway. 

• Like 1