Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Washer Jet - Weak Stream

Hi everyone

A common issue with millions of cars I am sure.

My passenger side has a weak stream, barely reaches above the blade.

I took the system apart to discover it is on a single feed pipe (I had simply assumed two), delivers fluid and splits off somewhere. So from reservoir to splitter, flow seems fine as the stream is good on driver side.

I checked nozzles and both working fine. I swapped them to test. Pipes seem clear and unobstructed.

I was unable to remove clips from under the bonnet unfortunately but found the split nozzle, as I learnt today, called a windscreen washer check valve. Even found the part number, 85321-28020.

Tested the valve and seems clear and functional. I took a syringe and squirted water through it. The delivery of water when doing that is far stronger on the valve supplying the driver side (which works fine) than the valve supplying water to the passenger side (which is where the problem lies).

I am unsure however, if this is how it is intended to work. I am inclined to think not. Why do I ask? The pipe from the valve to the passenger side (weak stream) has about 25cm pipe. Whereas the length of pipe from valve to driver side (stream that is fine) is far longer, probably two to three times longer or more. I can't see as the trim bonnet trim can't be removed but from where the check valve is located, it is obvious. Or so it seems. Is the difference to compensate for the pipe length?

Is my valve defective? Online part seems to be £15 ish, not a great sum, but for what it is, rather expensive. Is there an aftermarket parts, £2 from Halfords or something?!

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Probably gunge in the nozzle where you're getting the weak stream. Pull the nozzle out and pull the pipe off. Use an air line to blow air through the nozzle 'backwards' - you'll be amazed at what comes out.

• Thanks 1

Thanks sorcerer

I've had it off, cleaned it, poked it, blown air through it, etc. Still no good. Appreciate your input.

As it's a one way valve, air only goes through certain directions.

I'm guessing water should only be able to pass FROM water tank, TO jets. I notice this is true for the driver side nozzle (pushing air backwards causes nothing to happen) but on the problematic valve, water can return.

Will get a nozzle from another Toyota / Lexus vehicle and see what happens!

what happens if you swap the pipes over?

I believe that normally the straight through connection goes to the longer pipe, the dog leg to the shorter one.

One my wife's old RX300 the pipe going to the passenger jet managed to bend itself which almost closed the opening. I had to remove the bonnet lining and straighten it out which resolved the issue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

what happens if you swap the pipes over?

I believe that normally the straight through connection goes to the longer pipe, the dog leg to the shorter one.

One my wife's old RX300 the pipe going to the passenger jet managed to bend itself which almost closed the opening. I had to remove the bonnet lining and straighten it out which resolved the issue.

Great idea Colin, thanks.

Indeed straight through goes to longer pipe, dog let to shroter. In this case, longer is driver side, shorter is passenger side (the problem side).

I switched them over and it squirted water just fine.

So pipe is certainly clear.

Think the valve has just failed. Will report back once resolved. No car warranty now so must fix myself.

Any more thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Happy to report that a replacement of part 85321-28020 solved the issue. The one I removed from the vehicle must have had something blocking it (I tried repeatedly to clear it without success) or some of the internal valves within the unit had failed in some capacity.

As soon as the new was on, streams flowing equally.

Cost £15 from Toyota. Damn expensive for what it is. Perhaps £3 non Toyota would have done the job, but I was unsure if the Toyota one did anything special other than stop the fluid flowing back to reservoir. Perhaps, distributing more flow to the valve than the other or something.

• Thanks 3

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, Bogdan C said:

Hello, I had the same issue with a lexus is250, I have ordered the same part you mentioned, replaced it and it fixed the issue. 

Thanks!

Is the valve behind the sound insulation on the Bonnet?

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2018 at 7:14 PM, matt8 said:

Happy to report that a replacement of part 85321-28020 solved the issue. The one I removed from the vehicle must have had something blocking it (I tried repeatedly to clear it without success) or some of the internal valves within the unit had failed in some capacity.

Cost £15 from Toyota. Damn expensive for what it is. Perhaps £3 non Toyota would have done the job, but I was unsure if the Toyota one did anything special other than stop the fluid flowing back to reservoir. Perhaps, distributing more flow to the valve than the other or something.

got the same issue on my GS450h.. will have to check do the swap test first before ordering, but a great help

• Like 1

if i find the spray isnt as good as it should be i'll remove the jet

and place it in a jug with some hot water and using a syringe and a

piece of tubing i use the the syringe to send water through the nozzle

to flush out any dirt ,its amazing what comes out of them.

My 1994 Celsior suffered from low washer jet pressure a while ago, Japanese versions have both a washer tank and a plain water rinse tank so there are 2 feed pipes into the check valve  (highlighted) and then 2 out to the jet nozzles.

Diagnosis confirmed the valve had failed which is a sealed unit but having obtained the part number were coming up at around £3.00.

Unfortunately they were obsolete from dealers and Amayama.

Got around it eventually, being an MOT failure, by using assorted T pieces and single non return valves.

If anyone needs a valve I ordered 10.

3A5A3A39-93A3-4ED0-ABAF-DAEE88B59FE5.png

On 7/6/2021 at 8:14 AM, paulrnx said:

£15 isn’t a great deal of money nowadays surely? Even if it is over-priced, I’d be happy with a £15 fix for something like this.

Expensive is relative. I thought it was expensive on the basis that a non-OEM non-return valve costs in the region of £1 on eBay.

19 hours ago, matt8 said:

Expensive is relative. I thought it was expensive on the basis that a non-OEM non-return valve costs in the region of £1 on eBay.

Fair point but given how expensive motoring is nowadays I’d still say a £15 fix is relatively cheap.

• Like 2

That was the little bugger. All good now and both jets working 💪. Took me under 5mins without taking off the cover under the bonnet, you just need to fold it a tad up and its right there.

16261913298463568023149483947975.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For information - I had the same problem with my Lexus RX400H.  Did all the recommendations seen above to confirm that the nozzle was at fault.  I found a replacement almost identical washer jet for Dodge and Jeep vehicles does the job perfectly.  Ordered from amazon, cost £8 for a pair.  They are - X AUTOHAUX 2pcs Front Windshield Wiper Washer Jet Nozzle 55157319AA

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2018 at 7:14 PM, matt8 said:

Is there any possibly that Lexus uses two versions of this valve, one for the feed from the passenger's side (the one you bought) and one for the feed on the driver's side (unknown part number)?

My reason for asking is that my wife's RX450h is suffering from weak spray on the driver's side and I duly bought and fitted 85321-28020 with no improvement.  The feed to the tee piece on RX450h runs up the driver's side of the bonnet.

This might sound daft, but did you make sure the flow direction on the valve is the same direction you connected your pipe from the washer bottle... meaning when you connect the pipe coming from the washer to the vavle the arrow on the valve should be facing the opposite direction not towards the the washer bottle pipe. 

Thanks Ace8800 - there are no daft questions!

Plumbing is per the attached drawing.  Triangular flow arrow is shown.  It seems that the valve intentioally restricts the flow to the outlet which points backwards.  In my case, it's the feed to the driver's jet.  It appears to be an attempt to balance the flow in washer hoses of unequal lengths.

I'm very tempted to source a conventional NR valve and an open tee piece.

Cheers

Richard

IMG_7955.JPG

18 hours ago, RSav said:

Is there any possibly that Lexus uses two versions of this valve, one for the feed from the passenger's side (the one you bought) and one for the feed on the driver's side (unknown part number)?

My reason for asking is that my wife's RX450h is suffering from weak spray on the driver's side and I duly bought and fitted 85321-28020 with no improvement.  The feed to the tee piece on RX450h runs up the driver's side of the bonnet.

Did you check there was flow with the valve detached? The pressure won't be high due to not being forced through a narrow pipe, but it should show the water flows consistently.

If not, perhaps there is some blockage in the pipes before the valve? (Between pump and T valve)

I think, during diagnosis, I swapped the driver and passenger pipes to prove there was no defect between the valve and the nozzles.

7 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Did you check there was flow with the valve detached? The pressure won't be high due to not being forced through a narrow pipe, but it should show the water flows consistently.

If not, perhaps there is some blockage in the pipes before the valve? (Between pump and T valve)

I think, during diagnosis, I swapped the driver and passenger pipes to prove there was no defect between the valve and the nozzles.

Thanks, yep the pipes and jets are clear.  Small fire-hose effect when the tee piece is removed from the hose from the pump.  The uneven flow appears to be solely a function of the tee piece.  I visited my mechanic this morning and his comment was that he's seen it on all the Lexus' that he services, cannot understand why Lexus complicate things and his solution is to fit a normal tee piece which restores maximum flow to both jets.

As an aside: I was surprised that such an expensive motor does not have a dirt filter in the neck of the washer bottle.   It's the only vehicle I have owned (list: Classic Range Rovers, Discovery, Skodas and Shogun) that has not had a filter.  I queried it with Lexus and they said that they didn't consider it necessary!

Cheers

Richard