Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smiles Service Records and other stuff

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Got a call from Lexus Stockport saying my car was due it's service. I told them I swapped it for a RX450h but would be using get them for servicing. I gave them the cars reg and they came back with since in February next year (when service is due) the car will be 6 years old the service will cost £745. I said hang on I know that's the 60k mile service but the replied yes but it's either or which ever comes first.

I'm reluctant to go ahead with that costly service But if the knowledgeable of you recommend it then I'll go ahead even tho my cars just gone past 41k miles.

I was looking at just getting the essential service with hybrid health check. I wonder what you folk think.

Since the car is now out of guarantee "unless extended" you can ask for whatever service you wish. Because of the low millage a cam belt change "if required at 60K" is not due as are plugs "these ware out on millage not age". So just have the service you wish.

John.

• Like 1

I agree with John, spark plug wear is mileage related, not age.  The plugs and work involved in changing them make up a large part of your service quotation.  If you wish to maintain a Lexus SH then I'd ask them to do it without the plugs.  If you have an extended warranty where Lexus servicing is mandatory, just check with them it's ok to leave the plugs until 60k miles.

Thanks for your replies guys. Much appreciated. Nice one Rayaans as I didn't know hybrid health check was included. Reading other threads/posts LED me to believe the contrary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Thanks for your replies guys. Much appreciated. Nice one Rayaans as I didn't know hybrid health check was included. Reading other threads/posts led me to believe the contrary. 

The health check is free with all services, but if you do your own services or have them done else ware you can still have the hybrid health check done for around £65.

John.

22 hours ago, Britprius said:

Because of the low millage a cam belt change

but don't leave it too too long coz they do actually perish with age ............................ :whistling1:

Malc

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

but don't leave it too too long coz they do actually perish with age ............................ :whistling1:

Malc

Yes I agree, but the car is only 5 years old. At the rate of use at 10,000 miles a year it would be changed at 6 years old by Lexus, and I would consider it perfectly safe to go to 60K, and 7/8 years.

John.

Thanks John and Mac. Very good info. Will look into charges for belt changes. Any good garage can do those. And I mean good garages. I trust kwikfit leeds. They did multi belt change in my previous mondeo using genuine parts and very reasonable price. 

Vladimir, I'm not from that area but I've used Grinspeed just up the road from you in Leyland. 

They're x motorsport engineers and really know their stuff. 

Best of all they won't fleece you and will do a proper job.

I discovered them/used them via the Honda forums but they work on other cars too.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 5:12 PM, Britprius said:

Because of the low millage a cam belt change "if required at 60K" is not due

A cam belt change will never be due on an RX450h as it has a chain drive, unlike the RX400h. 😉

It's worth keeping an eye on the serpentine belt but that's not a huge job to replace.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just seen today that the is300h I exchanged for my RX in June has Finally got a new owner. I can't believe it took about 6 months for that car to go. Leeds couldn't sell it so they moved it to Coventry. They couldn't sell it so off it went to Wolverhampton who've had it a fair few weeks. They only made a few hundred quid on that car which I'm happy with.

• Like 1

I know I've mentioned that my car was bought with only a part dealer service. No proof of any other services either. Today however with the government MOT checker website I inputted the log book number and it showed where the car was MOT'd. So I looked up the garage that did it's first 2 MOT's and phoned them to see if they serviced the car also. Yes was the reply. So I asked for written proof but they declined because of the privacy laws but I was told my car was serviced at 24 and 28k miles. I do wonder however about sending written proof of services actually falls under the privacy laws. I'm sure it doesn't but am I right?

Lexus Sheffield were happy to supply copy invoices for every service my IS had since 2002. They just put a black marker pen through the name and address. However, I bought the car from them, they'd serviced it and I'd used them for some other bits too. I'd already established myself as a customer of theirs and were happy to help. The dealer you contacted Vladimir is hiding behind GDPR (or just doesn't understand it) but more likely just can't be bothered because you're not their customer.

I take it it's not a Lexus dealer? You can't use the app for history?

Thanks for the comments guys. My service book has its 1st service at 5k miles from Lexus Liverpool. So I assume they sold the car from new tho I'm waiting for confirmation from them. The book however is missing PDI info. Mileage, stamp etc. Lexus Wolverhampton then did a service at 38k But instead of stamping the book they hand wrote it. I'm not a happy bunny with Wolverhampton branch nor any Vantage group dealer.

I'll look into GDPR and get back to that Saint Albans garage.

• Like 1

Yes Rich I've got the app and got my car registered on it. It shows 2 services. 2 services were done by an independent garage and didn't stamp the book I have. The app will only state Lexus done services.