Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h engine cover fasteners/magic erasers!!!

Hi,

Just a curious one, today when I was dipping the engine oil I noticed that the 2 large black plastic covers on either side of the engine were just sitting in place loosely, every single fastener is missing!!! It looks like each one should be held in place with 4 fasteners, I’m going to replace them but wanted to ask which type of fasteners I need to buy, the car is fine and I’m still really pleased with it but just found this to be a bit curious!!!

Also,

The leather on my steering wheel is very shiny and slick looking obviously with being well used over 139,000 miles, I’d like to try and get it back to the nice matt finish it once would’ve had. I’ve seen mixed reports regarding these magic erasers you can buy from the supermarket, some say they are a miracle cleaner that restores the leather in minutes, others say they do serious damage to your leather. I understand they are a very mild abrasive and that’s how they work. Has anybody ever tried them and what are everybody’s thoughts on these? Obviously they won’t be used on a regular basis, in fact probably just once to get the steering wheel back to how I want it. I’ve attached an image of the magic erasers I’m talking about.

9A8ABF65-D7C0-4DF2-A49A-9975AC1AF597.jpeg

These are the ones I bought. They are the same as the ones that were fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Lexus-Engine-Cover-Clips-Plastic-Trim-Fasteners-for-Motor-Shields-Panels/391217719352?hash=item5b1664a838:g:q10AAOSwstxVZ4K~

As for your steering wheel try baby wipes. That's what I use and cleans it a treat. Just wipe down with a damp cloth afterwards and give it some feed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris111 said:

These are the ones I bought. They are the same as the ones that were fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Lexus-Engine-Cover-Clips-Plastic-Trim-Fasteners-for-Motor-Shields-Panels/391217719352?hash=item5b1664a838:g:q10AAOSwstxVZ4K~

As for your steering wheel try baby wipes. That's what I use and cleans it a treat. Just wipe down with a damp cloth afterwards and give it some feed.

Thanks for the link, I’ve ordered a set of those now, they should do the trick!!!

I just want to get rid of the shiny slickness on the steering wheel and get it back to a nice matt finish. I’ve also just ordered some leather cleaner and conditioner for the seats, I’ve ordered a twin pack of gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner from amazon after reading mainly very positive reviews, the main thing I’m trying to achieve is that nice new leather smell and according to what I’ve read gliptone products are the best for this!!! Has anybody ever used gliptone on their seats?

Here’s a link to what I’ve bought

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DMB3RAI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, mrdoofa said:

Thanks for the link, I’ve ordered a set of those now, they should do the trick!!!

I just want to get rid of the shiny slickness on the steering wheel and get it back to a nice matt finish. I’ve also just ordered some leather cleaner and conditioner for the seats, I’ve ordered a twin pack of gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner from amazon after reading mainly very positive reviews, the main thing I’m trying to achieve is that nice new leather smell and according to what I’ve read gliptone products are the best for this!!! Has anybody ever used gliptone on their seats?

Here’s a link to what I’ve bought

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DMB3RAI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought Gliptone and it does work well and smells nice, although my wife got in the car after I used it and asked why it smells of TCP! Btw Martin, did you know old Baz now has the LS I sold you? 

I was going to tell you Old Baz had it now, the dealer I sold it to was going to pass it on to a family member but they changed their minds so he put it for sale on his forecourt and Baz saw it and bought it, It’s only a small dealer in Lytham near Blackpool called James Morgan cars, I bought a jag off him a few years ago and he’s a really nice guy. I’ve told Baz to make sure he keeps it because he’ll struggle to find another as good as that one, the only reason I sold it is because I decided I wanted another GS450h. He told me that he is over the moon with it and he’s going to keep it, he’s fully polished it all and detailed the interior and even the engine bay then put the pics on Facebook and it really looks like a new car. He had to replace the Battery last week but the old Battery was 6 years old so I don’t think that’s bad!!! He’s already taken it to the seaside 3 times with his wife for fish and chips!!! I’m going to visit him in Bolton in the next couple of weeks for a chat and a cuppa so I’ll see how he’s getting on with it, I’ll probably end up being tempted to buy it back!!!

56 minutes ago, mrdoofa said:

I was going to tell you Old Baz had it now, the dealer I sold it to was going to pass it on to a family member but they changed their minds so he put it for sale on his forecourt and Baz saw it and bought it, It’s only a small dealer in Lytham near Blackpool called James Morgan cars, I bought a jag off him a few years ago and he’s a really nice guy. I’ve told Baz to make sure he keeps it because he’ll struggle to find another as good as that one, the only reason I sold it is because I decided I wanted another GS450h. He told me that he is over the moon with it and he’s going to keep it, he’s fully polished it all and detailed the interior and even the engine bay then put the pics on Facebook and it really looks like a new car. He had to replace the battery last week but the old battery was 6 years old so I don’t think that’s bad!!! He’s already taken it to the seaside 3 times with his wife for fish and chips!!! I’m going to visit him in Bolton in the next couple of weeks for a chat and a cuppa so I’ll see how he’s getting on with it, I’ll probably end up being tempted to buy it back!!!

Funny old world! He phoned me to ask a couple of questions, seemed like a really nice bloke.

Assuming the 06/07 GS uses the same clips as my 06 RX then the ones in the eBay links above are the ones you want. I bought the same as @Chris111 linked to but from the dealer and they were considerably more expensive. Obviously! Part number for genuine is 53259-48010 

• Like 1