Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

New member of your forums, so be gentle please 🙂

I am currently looking at a GS300 2005 but it has a couple of issues, 1 is a headlight leveling issue, a broken rod was mentioned, is this a major headache and will it drastically affect beam position.

The second is a tire pressure error, low tire pressure on dashboard illuminated, all sensors seem to be okay, from what I am told and they need resetting by Lexus is this correct?

Not been to see the car as yet as it is a fair way from me, price is around the £3000 mark, pictures only give some idea but it looks tidy and looked after, 2 keys, 11 stamps in book, does it sound like trouble or worth a punt.

Thanks.

I would think anyone selling a car with known issues will have priced them. If they think they're not worth fixing to get a sale, I would seriously question if the car is worth buying.

There's plenty of cars out there without faults, no point buying trouble.

• Like 3

Hi all.:driving:

I with John on this one don't bother Lexus cars are not cheap on parts and might be hiding all kinds off problems, there is bound to be another one out there that fits your needs.:rolleyes:

65mike:driving:

• Like 1

Was kind of thinking along the same lines, as you guys, just needed someone to tell me before I did something stupid, I did see that red Lexus but a 340 mile round trip could be an issue due to work ect.. 

Guess I will keep looking, I have 3 weeks before the Saab needs its mot, I have seen lots of Bmw's and Audi's but do not want to go to the dark side if at all possible 😀

Thanks.

GS 300's seem in plentiful supply so hang on a while.  I went to see two before I bought mine, both looked good in the adverts but not so on inspection. I did pay good money (5.6k) but I got one in near new condition with low miles and full main dealer history, so far it's been excellent. Good luck.

There is a button under the dash near the pedals to reset the tyre pressure monitoring system, you have to get down on your hands and knees and a mirror is useful to find it so it doesn’t need to be done by Lexus.

I have a mk3 GS450h so I’ve no doubt they may have similar things to check for, the leading edge of the bonnet can get rust bubbles, rear exhaust boxes can rust, they can have dashboard rattles and creaks. I think this maybe exclusive to the 450h but worth mentioning, leaking shock absorbers and seized rear brake calipers. Check for cambelt change and all the usual used car checks apply.

• Like 2

Well looks like it's a case of sooner rather than later, the Saab decided to spit it's dummy out this morning and looks like the starter is on it's way out 😞

Appreciate the advice and help, tomorrow looks like a day of trawling the classifieds for a reasonable GS or equivelant.

I had a mk3,  great cars.The issue you mention sounds like a headlight level sensor, the part is about £180 And half hour labour to fit. I had the same issue with mine. There are plenty of gs300 out there so I would want it fixed as part of the deal.

In addition make sure you check the tpms works, look out for corroded alloys, Lexus seem to be terrible for this. Other than that solid cars

Regarding the exhaust, check the insides of both back boxes, next to the heat shields as they tend to rot out there, £500+ from Lexus exlcuding fitting. As mentioned previously, check the leading edge of the bonnet as they can corrode. Calipers can seize so check the alloys are not overly hot after a test drive.

Plenty Gen3 GS300's out there, try and go for one with good service history and my advice is be prepared to travel for the right car.

Best wishes with your search.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally purchased my 1st Lexus yesterday, not the newest or the fastest but it is very clean and everything seems to work okay, one minor issue I have is the parking brake thingy on the 05 gs300, when depressed brake light illuminates and goes off when released as it should, but it does not hold the car as well as I would have liked, am I right to assume the brake shoes need adjusting or replacing?

1 hour ago, Malk C said:

Well finally purchased my 1st Lexus yesterday, not the newest or the fastest but it is very clean and everything seems to work okay, one minor issue I have is the parking brake thingy on the 05 gs300, when depressed brake light illuminates and goes off when released as it should, but it does not hold the car as well as I would have liked, am I right to assume the brake shoes need adjusting or replacing?

Was it a private purchase or did you buy it from a Dealer Malc? 

It was a private deal, there is no going back ect... but looks like brake shoes on the rear so maybe just need adjusting? the brake does hold on level ground fine, so it must be operational just not as effective as it should be. 

Coming from a front wheeled manual saab to a rear wheel automatic is a bit of a change.

Hi Malcolm, Welcome to the forum.

The GS300 has rear brake hold adjustment inside the rear disk bell/drum, so should be an easy fix. 

Guide here; 

I would think that tyre shops should be able to sort out your TPMS woes.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

Parking brake all sorted, 1 trolley jack, 1 flat head screwdriver, 20 minutes some minor cursing and all is working as intended, TPMS is next, I have the code for the new sensor, so should be easy to sort, will probably get it sorted when I stop playing with all the gadgets 😁 

• Like 1