Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LC500 Sport+

Jondun

Hello all,

Having owned BMWs since early 2009 I'm seriously considering swapping my 2016 640i for the above. I had an hour in the car last year and I've got it booked for two days next week, so that'll give me chance to know a lot more about the car.

Any suggestions as to what to look out for would be very much appreciated, additionally, can you expect a dealer discount?

Many thanks 

Hi Jon,

Not much to look out for, if you are buying new then i expect that the re call for the high pressure fuel pumps will have been done, if your looking at a pre owned then just make sure it has been done.

very much doubt your get any discount on a new car, and iam not sure how long the wait will be for a new one, what i do no is that you are going to enjoy your 2 days 

Yes, no real issues to look out for. I had a factory order rather than a stock vehicle and the delivery was about 4 months. The car is very fuel efficient for a 5 litre and I am typically getting 24mpg.

The only downside I have found is parking in such a way that you can get out of the long doors but if you have a 640 then you will have had similar issues. 😉  

I had a BMW 640d previously, before getting my LC500h.

The BMW iDrive is way better than the Lexus infotainment system. The touchpad is pretty much useless when you are driving. Also, I miss not having a surround view camera as it makes it so much easier to park.

The interior lighting is also not very good in the Lexus.

Apart from that there are no downsides.

I think you will struggle to get any discount.

My order took about 3 and a half months.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:47 PM, Jules640 said:

I had a BMW 640d previously, before getting my LC500h.

The BMW iDrive is way better than the Lexus infotainment system. The touchpad is pretty much useless when you are driving. Also, I miss not having a surround view camera as it makes it so much easier to park.

Thanks, I already know that there will be many aspects of my current 640i that I will miss particularly, as you say, the idrive and surround view. However, I will not miss the wooden steering and from the memory of my short test drive in the rain last year, it felt almost like you just had to 'think' it through the corners - I'd never driven anything with such responsive steering.

The true test will be when I get back in my own car on Tuesday evening; as on countless prior test drives, it's always been a case of 'why on earth do I want to change this car' and that's why this is my second consecutive 640i. BMW are revealing the new 8 series at Le Mans on Friday...

On 6/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, wendle said:

Hi Jon,

Not much to look out for, if you are buying new then i expect that the re call for the high pressure fuel pumps will have been done, if your looking at a pre owned then just make sure it has been done.

very much doubt your get any discount on a new car, and iam not sure how long the wait will be for a new one, what i do no is that you are going to enjoy your 2 days 

On 6/12/2018 at 10:38 AM, malcolmw said:

Yes, no real issues to look out for. I had a factory order rather than a stock vehicle and the delivery was about 4 months. The car is very fuel efficient for a 5 litre and I am typically getting 24mpg.

The only downside I have found is parking in such a way that you can get out of the long doors but if you have a 640 then you will have had similar issues. 😉  

Thanks for the replies, as I suspected, with such a rare beast, I very much doubt if I'll get any discount, but there'll be no harm in asking if I get serious about it.

As to parking, agreed that I'm already used to wide doors, parking miles from anyone else and returning to find another car inches from mine! Obviously that's not going to change but I'll miss the surround view from my BMW. That and the 18" wheels, had 20s on my last 640 and hated the crashy ride, so configured my current car with 18s, might not look as 'cool' but the ride is far more compliant and it handles just as well. Shame the LC500 Sport + comes on 21s, but two days next week will tell...

It seems that all the demonstration LCs were in Sport+ spec.

You might like to consider if you need the additional features this brings. Do you really need a carbon roof when the "base" LC has glass. I can't detect any difference from the 4WS and LSD in normal road driving. Of course, if you intend to do track days...

Save yourself £10K? 

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

You might like to consider if you need the additional features this brings. Do you really need a carbon roof when the "base" LC has glass. I can't detect any difference from the 4WS and LSD in normal road driving. Of course, if you intend to do track days...

Save yourself £10K? 

Yep, most of them seem to be in Sport + spec but I did get to drive a base one.

Preferred it as well! The ride is better on the base, the glass roof lets in a good amount of light and whilst the 4 wheel steer is entertaining, its a little bit unnatural. The wheels on the base LC look much better to my eyes as well in terms of design and size as I think the Sport+ chrome wheels look too big!

7 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Save yourself £10K? 

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

Yep, most of them seem to be in Sport + spec but I did get to drive a base one.

Preferred it as well! The ride is better on the base, the glass roof lets in a good amount of light and whilst the 4 wheel steer is entertaining, its a little bit unnatural. The wheels on the base LC look much better to my eyes as well in terms of design and size as I think the Sport+ chrome wheels look too big!

Thanks both, this sounds like very good advice. I'd much prefer the glass roof on the base model and the fact that it comes on 20" rims is an additional incentive. Also good to know that the 4WS and LSD aren't particularly significant for road use. I like to have a bit of fun on the twisty and relatively traffic free B roads up here in Scotland but, at the age of 69, my track days are a fading memory.  

17 hours ago, Jondun said:

Thanks both, this sounds like very good advice. I'd much prefer the glass roof on the base model and the fact that it comes on 20" rims is an additional incentive. Also good to know that the 4WS and LSD aren't particularly significant for road use. I like to have a bit of fun on the twisty and relatively traffic free B roads up here in Scotland but, at the age of 69, my track days are a fading memory.  

Honestly, I think you would prefer the Base model too

The light the glass roof lets in certainly helps to make the car feel larger inside and I don't think 4WS and LSD are of much benefit on road use. You do get a tighter turning circle and extremely quick steering but worth a drive of both to make up your mind.

Having sat in both, there is not much difference comfortwise between the all leather seats in the "base" model and the Alcantara sports seats in the others. The seat aircon seems to work well in this warmer weather.

9 hours ago, malcolmw said:

@Jondun

How did you get on? Have you got any comments?

Good job I called the garage before setting off to Edinburgh on Monday morning to double check that they had the car on-site. They said "yes, the 3.5 hybrid is all ready for you"... Why, I rhetorically ask, do some folk simply refuse to listen to what you say? From the outset I'd said I was only interested in the V8 and we discussed the merits of the 5 litre engine in some detail.

They now have to get the V8 over from Glasgow and I'm waiting to hear whether it'll be next week or the one after that.

In the interim BMW revealed the new 8 series 4.4 litre V8 at Le Mans last Friday and it's not a million miles off the concept. 0-60 in 3.7 sec and, more importantly, unaltered cabin ergonomics. I've driven Porsches, Audis, Mercs and the LC but, IMO, nobody does switchgear like BMW. The two functions I use most are 1, for the adjustable suspension, steering and throttle which is a raised rocker switch right next to the gear lever and 2, the active cruise which is controlled by a small cluster of raised buttons in different shapes on the LH spoke of the steering wheel. Neither require looking for and are instantly located by touch - and that's not to mention the intuitive idrive controller.

I drove the LC for an hour last year and I already know that I'll find that very frustrating. However, there's that incredible V8 and amazing steering response that might swing it for me.

Either way, I'll wait until I've driven the 8 series and it might come down to how much BMW will move on the £100k+ asking price. 

2 hours ago, Jondun said:

Good job I called the garage before setting off to Edinburgh on Monday morning to double check that they had the car on-site. They said "yes, the 3.5 hybrid is all ready for you"... Why, I rhetorically ask, do some folk simply refuse to listen to what you say? From the outset I'd said I was only interested in the V8 and we discussed the merits of the 5 litre engine in some detail.

They now have to get the V8 over from Glasgow and I'm waiting to hear whether it'll be next week or the one after that.

In the interim BMW revealed the new 8 series 4.4 litre V8 at Le Mans last Friday and it's not a million miles off the concept. 0-60 in 3.7 sec and, more importantly, unaltered cabin ergonomics. I've driven Porsches, Audis, Mercs and the LC but, IMO, nobody does switchgear like BMW. The two functions I use most are 1, for the adjustable suspension, steering and throttle which is a raised rocker switch right next to the gear lever and 2, the active cruise which is controlled by a small cluster of raised buttons in different shapes on the LH spoke of the steering wheel. Neither require looking for and are instantly located by touch - and that's not to mention the intuitive idrive controller.

I drove the LC for an hour last year and I already know that I'll find that very frustrating. However, there's that incredible V8 and amazing steering response that might swing it for me.

Either way, I'll wait until I've driven the 8 series and it might come down to how much BMW will move on the £100k+ asking price. 

Why would you find it frustrating? The damper and throttle response is literally a knob that you turn and the cruise control is a simple 2 step process with the stalk.

The 8 series is nowhere near as exciting as the concept was.

BMW prices have recently gone crazy too

Yes, it's very simple and not disturbing to switch drive modes on the LC as the knob is in your line of sight and easily reached. To clarify, on the LC, the cruise control is not on a stalk but is integrated into the steering wheel much as described for the BMW. However, the touchpad is the worst feature of the LC (but I hardly ever use it except for initial setup).

There is zero chance of a discount on the newly introduced 8 series. You are dealing with garages whose arrogance is second only to Mercedes.

You are wise to stick with the V8. The Hybrid is clever but uninspiring to drive.

9 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Yes, it's very simple and not disturbing to switch drive modes on the LC as the knob is in your line of sight and easily reached. To clarify, on the LC, the cruise control is not on a stalk but is integrated into the steering wheel much as described for the BMW. However, the touchpad is the worst feature of the LC (but I hardly ever use it except for initial setup).

There is zero chance of a discount on the newly introduced 8 series. You are dealing with garages whose arrogance is second only to Mercedes.

You are wise to stick with the V8. The Hybrid is clever but uninspiring to drive.

Thanks for clarifying the drive mode and cruise switch layout, that's very reassuring. My brief test drive was about this time last year in awful weather and with the salesman sat next to me. I don't remember using the cruise control but I did try the different drive modes and agree that the control knob was very easy to use. However, like you, I found the touchpad all but unusable on the move and that's what I was referring to in my previous post when comparing it with BMW's idrive system.

I suspect you're right about the unlikelihood of BMW offering any discount on the 8 when it goes on sale but I'm not in any great hurry as my 640i is less than two years old, so I might wait another year and see if there's any change in policy. My current car was discounted by £16k, which makes the depreciation slightly less eye watering - another point in the LC's favour. If only I could find a Porsche with more comfortable seats, the decision would have been made ages ago.   

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the car yesterday morning and have it until Wednesday evening. Driven it on motorway and in town but mostly on twisty B roads, of which there's an abundance here in Fife.

Positive impression so far: amazing handling and throttle response, beautiful cabin fit/finish, best standard of engineering I've ever seen in a car (even the front suspension turrets are beautifully finished).

Negatives: slightly harsh ride on the 21" rims even in 'comfort', but that's the trade-off for such sharp handling - if I get serious I'll try the base model on 20s. Slightly intrusive fixed head restraint, but not so bad as Audi and Porsche (after a few miles I wanted to arch my neck rearwards, not an issue on short trips but I would find this a problem on long drives). Main negative and a significant one is that woeful trackpad; I gave up trying to follow the screen cursor while trying to control it with my left hand with the car in motion. I find it all but unusable unless stopped and I know that having to go into a sub menu for something as basic as seat heating would annoy me in the winter.

Still two days left with the car so not closing my mind yet. However, I'm very keen to know when the BMW 8 will be available...   

Yes, the track pad is poor but the good news is that the car has automatic "climate concierge" which includes control of the seat cooling/heating so, after initial setup you don't have to touch anything. I just leave it on all the time and the car does the rest.

The cast front suspension mounts are fabulous for car nutters. 😊

The standard leather seats have different headrests which adjust electrically so you may be OK with those.

After your posts I have looked at pictures of the 8 series BMW. The exterior doesn't do a lot for me but the electronic display instruments look very nice. a reasonable spec. V8 looks to be £100K plus so probably about £25K over the "base" LC500. You pays your money... 

its like any new car when you first drive it, you fiddling with every thing while on the move, its all new to you, once you get to no were everything is its easy.

I can honestly say i have touched my track pad while on the move no more than 5 times in 10 months, every thing i need is on the steering wheel or voice controlled, and as for the climate control as Malcolm has said "climate concierge" takes care of that.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, malcolmw said:

Yes, the track pad is poor but the good news is that the car has automatic "climate concierge" which includes control of the seat cooling/heating so, after initial setup you don't have to touch anything. I just leave it on all the time and the car does the rest.

The cast front suspension mounts are fabulous for car nutters. 😊

The standard leather seats have different headrests which adjust electrically so you may be OK with those.

After your posts I have looked at pictures of the 8 series BMW. The exterior doesn't do a lot for me but the electronic display instruments look very nice. a reasonable spec. V8 looks to be £100K plus so probably about £25K over the "base" LC500. You pays your money... 

18 hours ago, wendle said:

its like any new car when you first drive it, you fiddling with every thing while on the move, its all new to you, once you get to no were everything is its easy.

I can honestly say i have touched my track pad while on the move no more than 5 times in 10 months, every thing i need is on the steering wheel or voice controlled, and as for the climate control as Malcolm has said "climate concierge" takes care of that.

Thanks both for the input,

I've got it for a few hours yet and I have to say that it's the most exciting car I've ever driven and if the nav is controllable by voice input, that would be a significant positive, as is the concierge.

My major worry is trying to summon up enough will power to keep your right foot off the floor - the pick-up, the sound, the steering, they're addictive and I'm seriously concerned about keeping my driving licence!!!

The true test will come this evening when I get back in my 640i...

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 1:51 PM, Vlady said:

Jon keep us updated, interesting to know how you went on.

All comments are purely subjective and I'm sure there'll be those who disagree but the following is just my personal opinion.

As I said earlier, I don't think I've ever driven something quite so exciting and that engine has to be one of the best around. The interior fit, finish and quality of materials is of a very high standard and I've never seen such attention to engineering detail.

As in previous cases of driving the likes of Porsches, Audis, Mercs, Bentleys and Maseratis, the true test has always been how my own car feels afterwards and this was the only time that I had initial reservations about my BMW 640i. I say 'initial' because I immediately felt that I was sitting 'ON' my car, as opposed to sitting 'IN' the LC and the steering in the Lexus is vastly more responsive and, more importantly to me, gives much more feedback - so far, so good for the LC.

I took my car on an identical and very familiar route including motorway, town, and my favourite twisty minor road circuit. Granted, the LC has it in steering but when I really push my car the excitement is just as satisfying, albeit lacking that glorious V8 roar and rumble. Where my car scores over the Lexus is in hard cornering on uneven surfaces - mine feels more 'planted' and gives greater confidence.

Of course, you can't drive like that all the time, especially if you want to hang onto your licence and where, for me, the BMW leaves the LC wanting is in everyday 'normal' driving. It's far more comfortable and in 'Sport+' mode almost as good as the Lexus, the ergonomics are better, the secondary screen is on the same eye level and closer than the LC's, if needed you can get two adults in the back, there's loads more space and lastly, not that it's a financial concern,  28mpg over 18 is a consideration. Also there's that awful trackpad and the fixed head restraints; granted the former could be a learning curve but nothing can be done about the seats, which resulted in the car being, quite literally, a 'pain-in-the-neck' and, two days on, it's only just wearing off. Probably my physique but I just can't get on with these fixed, forward arching head restraints.

This is my second successive 640i which tells me a lot and I'm now even more eagerly awaiting the new 8 series - 0 to 60 in 3.7 secs will be a lot of fun. Yes, some say it doesn't look anything special but that's what I like about BMW - they lean more toward the understatement. I just wish BMW sales staff would learn from Lexus; my recent experience with Lexus Edinburgh was the best I have known - no pressure, loads of knowledge and, listen out you flim-flamming BMW salesmen, no bulls**t..! 

• Like 1

We are always interested in comments from drivers of cars of a similar class to our own so, no problems from me.

I find the LC to be really docile for everyday driving but I agree about the slightly firmer ride on the Lexus - even in comfort mode. The 6 series BMW, being based on the 5 series saloon chassis, is very compliant.

Not much that can be done about the rear seats. My Aston DB9 had the same joke +2 arrangement. However, I don't need the extra room.

I am actually getting a real 25mpg out of the LC500 on mixed driving. I think your 18mpg is probably to do with "enthusiastic" test driving ( unless you drive your 640 in a similar fashion ☺️).

I mentioned before that the all-leather seats have electrically adjusting headrests which may help your neck issue. 

Why not call back in here and give us a run down on the 8 series when you get to drive it.

Thanks for the objective comments Malcolm; I haven't totally given up on the LC and I'm waiting for a call from the dealer to let me know when they have a car with the adjustable head restraints for me to try.

I think it'll be a while before the 8 is available to drive but I'll certainly let you know what I think after I've driven it.