Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had my 1999 ls400 done at the main dealer. It is a sealant in a tube rather than a gasket. It took longer than they anticipated, I think they had to manipulate the suspension to get it fitted

37 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I think you can buy the actual gasket but Toyota recommend a special sealant, I have access to the sealant on a borrow and return basis.

I stand to be corrected because I don't have an LS400 but the page I posted above is directly from the LS400 workshop manual and it states "Seal Packing, Part No. 08826-00080", so would that not suggest that there is no actual gasket to be had, only the sealant?

Thank you so much for the borrow and return basis as it will obviously save me money. However as a mechanic will be doing it for me I would not trust them to return it back to me in one piece and I may end up buying a whole tube and returning that to you lol.

The part number is non-existent from dealership anymore so there alternative is £81 for the updated version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seen some for less than a £10 on eBay so may risk using some of that.

Thanks I believe now there is no gasket. Will keep you posted.

Thank you

16 hours ago, LS road runner said:

Once again rip off Britain in action, still cheaper buying this even with the shipping rather than be ripped off here in the UK with exactly the same product at 6 times the US price.

Be sure it is leaking?

I had an LS400 that I bought from a relative circa 2004 (it was a P reg 1996) - the first thing I did was to take it to Lexus, Woodford Green for a full service and new Belts.

They advised that the sump had a leak and wanted circa £200 to fix it - that was a lot of money to me then so I said no thanks.

It never once in the 6 years I owned it afterwards dripped a single drop on my garage floor. Subsequently an independent  mechanic advised me that the little oil on the sump was likely caused by some careless filling up, where the spilt oil or filter change residue had eventually worked its way down the engine to the bottom of the sump.

Suggest cleaning it up with some degreaser and checking that it is definitely leaking through the pan seal?

Best of luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Once again rip off Britain in action, still cheaper buying this even with the shipping rather than be ripped off here in the UK with exactly the same product at 6 times the US price.

Correct,

I have a denso radiator coming for £50. 

I am now tacking the ridiculous cost of suspension arm control bushes rear as I am getting a vibration under braking even with new pads/discs/brake fluid changed a week ago. 

On 6/14/2018 at 11:56 PM, ls400lpg said:

Thanks,

Will check it first. Hope it is the sump.

Keep you updated

just double check it because the sump may not be so easy to come as part of it might be under the subframe as it is on the 430. taking it off should be easy enough but putting it back together might be tricky as space is short in that section

Look for high temp FIPG and do not use the cheapest stuff!

Sealant black - Oil Pan:...................FIPG - Formed-in-place gasket
oil pan bolt: 12 x 7.5 Nm
FIPG 00295-00103 (250 grad celsius)       

Alternative: not that expensive:

K2 Silikon black (300 grad celsius) or  Beral High Temp FIPG (that works superb on mine for almost 5 years now).