Recommended Posts

I test drove a 2013 GS450h LUXURY today and was really impressed by the refinement and speed of the car.
However.. I found the mouse interface a nightmare, whilst driving it and meant I had my eyes off the road alot.
Even when parked up I was struggling to control it and get it to go where I wanted it. Just carrying out a simple action was difficult.

Has anyone else struggled with this, or managed to overcome initial difficulties?

Is it the same system in the RX450h?
God I miss buttons.

Also, don't these any of these high-end cars come with privacy glass, head up display or LED headlights?

I also found the headrests angled too far forward and made my neck ache. I have the same problem with modern Hondas and Volvos.
Does anyone know if there is any solution to this?

Thanks for any replies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

James,

Others will answer your first three queries but I agree about the headrest. I had a loan GS300h whilst my car was in for service and I had to remove the headrest to be able to drive. I mentioned it to the salesman when I retuned the car but he seemed not to get the point. He was not a tall person though so perhaps it was OK for him.

I have the same problem with several of the new range. My Mk2 and Mk3 GSs were fine. The Mk4 is so bad that I would not buy one.

Does the headrest in the Mk 450h move automatically according to the seat settings? The Mk3 does but I have not seen this mention in Lexus literature.

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

James,

Others will answer your first three queries but I agree about the headrest. I had a loan GS300h whilst my car was in for service and I had to remove the headrest to be able to drive. I mentioned it to the salesman when I retuned the car but he seemed not to get the point. He was not a tall person though so perhaps it was OK for him.

I have the same problem with several of the new range. My Mk2 and Mk3 GSs were fine. The Mk4 is so bad that I would not buy one.

Does the headrest in the Mk 450h move automatically according to the seat settings? The Mk3 does but I have not seen this mention in Lexus literature.

John

 

No the headrests do not move automatically with the seat settings, well they didn't on my MK4 450h f sport, iam sure they didn't on the MK 3 either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mk3 drivers headrest moves up/down with the seat forward/backwards movements.

There's an almost hidden button on top of the seat to adjust the headrest.

I've not found the headrest front/back position to be an issue but maybe I slouch too much, or I's jus' chillin' :wacko:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James_1970 said:

I test drove a 2013 GS450h LUXURY today and was really impressed by the refinement and speed of the car.
However.. I found the mouse interface a nightmare, whilst driving it and meant I had my eyes off the road alot.
Even when parked up I was struggling to control it and get it to go where I wanted it. Just carrying out a simple action was difficult.

Has anyone else struggled with this, or managed to overcome initial difficulties?

Is it the same system in the RX450h?
God I miss buttons.

Also, don't these any of these high-end cars come with privacy glass, head up display or LED headlights?

I also found the headrests angled too far forward and made my neck ache. I have the same problem with modern Hondas and Volvos.
Does anyone know if there is any solution to this?

Thanks for any replies

With regard to the mouse to control the infotainment, the sensitivity can be adjusted to make it easier to use. Additionally, its something that you have to get used to over time. Its not a case of just getting in and using it once. It requires a bit of practice.

All Lexus vehicles post 2012 now use the remote touch interface, either through the physical mouse or a touchpad. The only exception are vehicles without premium navigation which use a rotary controller.

I believe privacy glass wasn't an option on the GS or fitted as standard. LED headlights weren't available on the pre-facelift GS. They became standard across the range when the facelift came out, either in single LED or Triple-LED format depending on trim level. I know that HUD was available in the States, but I dont think it was available in the UK on the GS bar the GS-F and on the Facelift GS Premier

Not too sure on the headrest. I would assume you don't have the seat adjusted correctly. Again, in most cars, this is usually something that takes time to figure out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reply John.

I'm glad it's not just me being weird!
I would have considered a Mk3 GS450h but for the 280 litre boot vs 465 for the Mk4
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James,

I would guess you are right-handed?

If I tried using my computer's mouse in my left hand I would be in serious difficulties.

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can stretch to Premier spec, the 18-way seats offer a greater range of adjustments, including fore/aft adjustment of the top quarter of the seat which would resolve the headrest issues. The headrests are also nicely cushioned and have aeroplane-style wings you can pull out if you fancy a snooze in the outside lane. 

Regarding privacy glass, the rear windows also get blinds all round on the Premier - not quite the same thing but they do the same job.

The HUD came pre-facelift with the 300h Premier but only post-facelift on the 450h Premier. 

The mouse interface is truly a terrible thing, but you do get used to it. I prefer it with the fake resistance turned all the way down, as that makes it seem less like it's fighting you all the time. The main issue isn't so much with the hardware, it's that the interface ergonomics were very clearly intended for a touch screen, meaning you're constantly trying to fly the cursor all around the screen to hit the relevant 'buttons'. It's never going to be pleasant to use, but muscle-memory does kick in after a while and it becomes less of an aggravation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Main commands are also available on buttons (and some are also by voice).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LED headlight (low and high) were available since 2012 as an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 10:53 PM, Hangie said:

LED headlight (low and high) were available since 2012 as an option.

I'm not sure if that's true. No pre facelift 4th gen GS has had LED lights fitted to it that I know of. It's not in the brochure either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, rayaans said:

I'm not sure if that's true. No pre facelift 4th gen GS has had LED lights fitted to it that I know of. It's not in the brochure either

http://media.lexus.co.uk/2012/02/all-new-lexus-gs-from-32995/

This press release from 15/02/2012 states LED headlampss were an option on the premier spec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris111 said:

http://media.lexus.co.uk/2012/02/all-new-lexus-gs-from-32995/

This press release from 15/02/2012 states LED headlampss were an option on the premier spec.

Hmm yep it does. I wonder how many cars were actually optioned with it though. Not many I don't think if any at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In UK it was rare addition indeed. I know at least one with it - mine 🙂

In my opinion it is 1k well spend especially if you are driving a lot at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, my GS 300h has also night vision pack with IR that is no more available with facelift GS, may be the only one here :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 12:34 PM, rayaans said:

Hmm yep it does. I wonder how many cars were actually optioned with it though. Not many I don't think if any at all

Mine wasn't!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now