Recommended Posts

Quite like the LS430 Model. Looks comfy, roomy and the V8 appeals!

Lots of kit and quite cheap. Is it generally fault free? I see ATF/rad issues due to age and rear AC pipes can leak but generally any major issues?

I quite fancy getting one at some point. I believe cambelt and water pump required, is it a big job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Lexus-LS-430-4-3-4dr/142818309432?hash=item2140a27538:g:3TcAAOSwQFNbEidy

What colours are the best. Like light grey or cream interior.

James:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Dark blue with a light interior like tan or cream.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

Dark blue with a light interior like tan or cream. emoji106.png

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
 

I like the blue colour too!

James:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice car but a few issues.

Would of been better to of took pictures in daylight to see the nice blue colour.

What do they drive like? Gearbox plenty of kickdown. Presume 4.3 litre goes very well.  Presume CVT auto. Only ever driven an Austin Warner AW70/71 in my Volvo 240 and 940.

James:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Nice car but a few issues.

Would of been better to of took pictures in daylight to see the nice blue colour.

What do they drive like? Gearbox plenty of kickdown. Presume 4.3 litre goes very well.  Presume CVT auto. Only ever driven an Austin Warner AW70/71 in my Volvo 240 and 940.

James:thumbsup:

Hi James,

 

430 is not a CVT, the model you are looking at is a 5 speed auto and the facelift is 6 speed. 

 

I have a 2002 LS430 and have (today) bought the LS430 facelift along with the current collection of the LS400 and the LS600h

 

My favourite is the LS430.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LS road runner said:

Hi James,

 

430 is not a CVT, the model you are looking at is a 5 speed auto and the facelift is 6 speed. 

 

I have a 2002 LS430 and have (today) bought the LS430 facelift along with the current collection of the LS400 and the LS600h

 

My favourite is the LS430.

Thanks.

What do you like about your LS430? Seems much more toys. What years were the different models? Take it the LS430 is the older top spec 400 series rather than the newer 460?

James:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, lex - eleven said:

I am always suspicious when they hide the number plate like that 'cause I cannot check out advisories (if any were written on MOT) on DVLA site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

this was purchased at £3800 plus £300 fees. I remember as I was bidding against them and I stopped at £3700. You might be able to get a deal out of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Thanks.

What do you like about your LS430? Seems much more toys. What years were the different models? Take it the LS430 is the older top spec 400 series rather than the newer 460?

James:thumbsup:

I find the 430 to drive very nice, I dont like the CVT in the 600H and the 460. I have never driven a 460 but I can only imagine its similar to the 600H. 

LS 400 - 1997

LS 430 - 2002

LS 430 facelift - 2004

LS600H -2007

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LS road runner said:

this was purchased at £3800 plus £300 fees. I remember as I was bidding against them and I stopped at £3700. You might be able to get a deal out of them

Interesting, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2002 LS430 has done 25k fault free miles since I bought it. Just did 1,400 miles in Scotland. The gearbox is a 5 speed and is slilky smooth. Can't hear or feel gear changes.

The power is amazing although we never use it as we waft everywhere in near total silence. The air suspension is like silk. It uses no oil and does 31 mpg, although that is mostly 'easy' dual carriageway and motorway milage. For a V8 it is remarkably economical on a run. Stop-start driving is not its real forte. Has all 4 brake pads redone. All the pads were  about £55 on Europarts, and took 1 1/2 hours to fit at my local place. Easiest pads to fit in any car the young lad said. One bolt, up caliper, pads in. Shell oil and a Mann oil filter are about £25 all in at Euro car Parts. An oil change is easy, but the undercover plate is a pain as in most new cars. Starts on the button every time.

The inside is pure luxury, and very spacious. Mine is my favourite colour silver and cream inside. The only problem is the £1,800 Mark Levingson radio (premier pack), which I think is nothing special, but in Suffolk the signal is sometimes weak. The CD is good. It has about 10 airbags and must be incredibly asfe in a crash.

When I bought mine it had a new Battery and Lexus fitted new cam belt.

A full belt, water pump and pulleys is about £600 ever 90,000 miles.

Best car I ever had. Plan to keep it for ages.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am always suspicious when they hide the number plate like that 'cause I cannot check out advisories (if any were written on MOT) on DVLA site
Obviously taken in low light with a flash so reflecting back off the number plate

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

Obviously taken in low light with a flash so reflecting back off the number plate

No, it was blacked out, which is why I commented

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MLW said:

My 2002 LS430 has done 25k fault free miles since I bought it. Just did 1,400 miles in Scotland. The gearbox is a 5 speed and is slilky smooth. Can't hear or feel gear changes.

The power is amazing although we never use it as we waft everywhere in near total silence. The air suspension is like silk. It uses no oil and does 31 mpg, although that is mostly 'easy' dual carriageway and motorway milage. For a V8 it is remarkably economical on a run. Stop-start driving is not its real forte. Has all 4 brake pads redone. All the pads were  about £55 on Europarts, and took 1 1/2 hours to fit at my local place. Easiest pads to fit in any car the young lad said. One bolt, up caliper, pads in. Shell oil and a Mann oil filter are about £25 all in at Euro car Parts. An oil change is easy, but the undercover plate is a pain as in most new cars. Starts on the button every time.

The inside is pure luxury, and very spacious. Mine is my favourite colour silver and cream inside. The only problem is the £1,800 Mark Levingson radio (premier pack), which I think is nothing special, but in Suffolk the signal is sometimes weak. The CD is good. It has about 10 airbags and must be incredibly asfe in a crash.

When I bought mine it had a new Battery and Lexus fitted new cam belt.

A full belt, water pump and pulleys is about £600 ever 90,000 miles.

Best car I ever had. Plan to keep it for ages.

I do so enjoy reading contributions like this.A satisfied owner, driver and mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just accurate really. One speaks as one finds. My only fear is having to go to Lexus for anything. The car is remarkably old fashioned in that most things are easily serviceable. Plan to replace the spark plugs at 60,000 miles, cost about £80-90 at Euro car parts. Not too bad for the next 60,000 miles.

The key to older cars is to over-service them a little.

Today Shell oil is £19+ at Euro car parts. Amazing for the best one can buy at this price. ASDA oil is £15 for 5 litres this week, and many who has not read the extensive spec will say it is rubbish. It is great oil. The car manual specified SL oil at manufacture. We are now on SN. Can't be all bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using ASDA 5-30 ever since I went LS in 2008, great oil IMO, so is Shell can't fault either although I don't use shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to ASDA, oil now back at the old price of £22ish. Shell it is then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now