Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks

I'm about to buy my first Lexus IS 250 and have decided that the SE-L trim is the one I want.  I've been trying to find out more information regarding the Mark Levinson multimedia system, in particular the way it will link up to my Iphone.

As I have an Iphone X, I can't use the audio lead so will be reliant on Bluetooth, could anyone tell me if meta information is compatible between apple and the Lexus system?  Will I be able to get album/song information on the built in screen?

Thanks in advance

I don't believe the 2009 version allows Bluetooth streaming from Iphone or Android. The ICE in a Lexus is generally well behind most other car makers. The ML sound is very good but you're stuck with CD/Radio/Aux as your input choices.

26 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I don't believe the 2009 version allows bluetooth streaming from iPhone or Android. The ICE in a Lexus is generally well behind most other car makers. The ML sound is very good but you're stuck with CD/Radio/Aux as your input choices.

Thanks for the info, guess a Parrot setup could be the way to go.

Have you looked at the facelift version?

It started in late 09. It will have the additional USB port in the arm rest cubby. This is how I connect my ipod to the car.

Earlier vehicles only had a power outlet and a phono jack port.

9 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Have you looked at the facelift version?

It started in late 09. It will have the additional USB port in the arm rest cubby. This is how I connect my ipod to the car.

Earlier vehicles only had a power outlet and a phono jack port.

Didn't realise that, thanks for the info.  So little in the way of decent motors available and I'm already realising that this is going to be a long search.  Always seems to fall into 2 catagoris

Decent priced really high milers

Expensive low milers which are being sold before the major spark plug service

Just hope I'm able to wait it out as I love the IS 250 although do need something in place before the end of August.

Don't be afraid of the 60K  ( or 6 Years technically! so anything upto 2011 should have been done) spark plug change ( although plugs will prob be good upto 100K they are at the 60k service point) but if you fastidiously want to keep the service book stamped with Lexus ink then yes it's gonna cost about £600.

Or if you intend keeping the car until the car is long in the tooth but well maintained (and service book is not so important) then the spark plug renewal is quite doable DIY, you do not have to break into and sealed systems ie AC or coolant and gaskets should be reusable as they are the silicon type. there is a vid on U-Toob and it does not requie any specal tools.

Maybe its just me but I would rather service my car myself for the satisfaction and ownership feeling.

Paul M.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, baviaannl said:

How do you connect to the unit, bluetooth?

Yes, Bluetooth. It should be possible as standard on 2010 MY cars and later that have the newer navigation unit which has the maps stored on HDD instead of a DVD. Which, incidentally is easily recognisable as it has flat, darker coloured buttons on either side of the screen.

On earlier cars, BT allows phone calls only. Audio streaming is still possible, but you're looking at an aftermarket solution to make it work.

22 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Yes, bluetooth. It should be possible as standard on 2010 MY cars and later that have the newer navigation unit which has the maps stored on HDD instead of a DVD. Which, incidentally is easily recognisable as it has flat, darker coloured buttons on either side of the screen.

On earlier cars, BT allows phone calls only. Audio streaming is still possible, but you're looking at an aftermarket solution to make it work.

Makes sense now, seems like was mentioned earlier in this thread, this ability came from the late 2009 face lift.  I have a feeling this will be slightly out of my price range unfortunately...  I guess mechanically they are identical though so I could explore the Parrot option in order to add this functionality.  As it stands there is only 1 vehicle in the country which is ticking all the boxes right now, 4 hours and 30 minutes away... A long trek for a viewing so I'd need to be sure of everything before setting off.

Edited by baviaannl
mistake

Looking at a rather nice IS250 in the morning.  It is the IS250 SE-L edition with the Sat/Nav/Reverse camera option.  Am I right in thinking that all of these units are the Mark Levinson editions?  Reason I ask is that when looking close up, on some adverts you can see the Mark Levinson printed on the unit, on some others, you don't??

I think that's the case on earlier cars. If it has the nav screen, It'll also have ML audio.

I believe it wasn't until the 09/10 facelift that cars could have sat-nav without ML.

Look for the logo to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Today's motor wasn't to be, nice car although I think the water pump was slightly leaking, you could see coolant between the pump and the radiator, he wouldn't negotiate so I walked.

Another to look at tomorrow which on paper is a better car... could be the one 😄

Shame it wasn't to be but don't give up you will find a good 'un.

As for the water pump leak, they don't last for ever ( the first generation of factory fitted ones anyway, I think later ones had modified bearings fitted) and on the 250 it can need doing from anything between 50k and 100k+. Again if you want Lexus spanners on it then expect to sell a Kidney for it! But a Genuine (Aisin) pump can be got for £90-£120 ( it is quite a large pump upto most) and again DIY is not impossible and no special tools required. Yes you guessed it, there is a good 'How To' on Utoob.

https://youtu.be/9jV1TMg4F2w

But seeing as he never budged on the price then I think I would have walked also but if you do find the one then bear in mind it is fixable quite cheaply in the scheme of things (Lexus wise!)

Note from above: IT will only have the Mark Levinson system ( extra bass speaker in dash and amp in right rear boot area) if logo is stamped onto dash near CD slot.  Again sometimes cars are advertised with ML and when you actually see the car it is absent, dealers say that when they start to put in car details it ( AutoTrader) auto fills the rest!! But again one of the items to have on your check list ( also take a DVD (film) and CD with MP3 tracks on it to test the player)

paul m.

Hi with regard to mileage over 60000 , I do all my own servicing and these cars are quite straightforward ,there is no reason why a good local independent guy cant change plugs,change the waterpump and maintain the brake slider/calipers. These are the common jobs at these sort of mileages and the receipts can be kept for later ,if selling .As the car gets older there is no sense in paying main dealer prices . Keep looking ,your car is out there ,In my opinion the SE L is worth searching for   good luck

Dave

9 hours ago, true blue said:

Hi with regard to mileage over 60000 , I do all my own servicing and these cars are quite straightforward ,there is no reason why a good local independent guy cant change plugs,change the waterpump and maintain the brake slider/calipers. These are the common jobs at these sort of mileages and the receipts can be kept for later ,if selling .As the car gets older there is no sense in paying main dealer prices . Keep looking ,your car is out there ,In my opinion the SE L is worth searching for   good luck

Dave

My car was indeed out there, I picked it up on Sunday and I'm very very happy with it.  Went for the SE L 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, baviaannl said:

My car was indeed out there, I picked it up on Sunday and I'm very very happy with it.  Went for the SE L 🙂

Congratulations! How do you like it? Does it have everything you wanted, Bluetooth, ML etc?

I can't speak for all but pictures of the car need to be posted here! 😉

Enjoy your new ride! 

39 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Congratulations! How do you like it? Does it have everything you wanted, Bluetooth, ML etc?

I can't speak for all but pictures of the car need to be posted here! 😉

Enjoy your new ride! 

I'm very happy with it, I got the Mark Levinson system and although the BT audio streaming isn't in place, I've identified a product which can add that functionality while keeping the stock appearance of the system IF I decide I need it.  I wasn't expecting the CD changer built into the unit which can also hold CD MP3 files.. that's a fair amount of music so that might satisfy me, time will tell.

Got the motor for a very fair price, the owner already had his company car on the driveway along with his wife's motor and his sons 😄  He needed to make room and as the alloys are also in need of refurb he was open to offers.  Full Lexus history, water pump changed 5k miles ago and the sparks changed at 60k.

I'll put some pictures up when the wheel refurb is finished.

• Like 1

""  I wasn'texpecting the CD changer built into the unit which can also hold CD MP3 files.. that's a fair amount of music so that might satisfy me, time will tell.""

Don't forget it is a DVD player also! But this will ( should) only show pictures when the parking brake is on AND there is no forward movement of vehicle but audio will be unaffected. 

Note; unless you have a Very good Battery then using the DVD player without the engine running may cause Battery problems.

paul m.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links