Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hoping to buy an is250

Matt1280

Hi, I'm hoping to be looking for a is250 se soon, i currently own a toyota celica 2005 gt, but I'm starting to crave comfort and a softer ride. I'm wanting leather with the Sat nav (does the Sat nav still work ok nowadays? 

I've heard about different tax brackets as well, ones about 300 and ones about 500 a year? 

Are there any issues I should know about when looking?

Can't make up my mind between black and red either lol

Welcome Matt,

Good choice of car :thumbs_up:

As Paul has said, the tax difference is down to the gearbox.

The sat nav is a bit hit and miss.  If you were travelling between cities then it would probably work well, but if you get into all the back streets then it isn't so good.

For any potential issues with the IS, there is an excellent guide written by @is200 Newbie which should be helpful:

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Yep, only a manual one will cost £500+ for road tax. An automatic (the one you want, really) is £315 for 2005-2010 cars. 2011-on cars are slightly better on fuel and are cheaper to tax (£290) as a result.

Sounds like an SE-L would be the ideal choice. They all have leather and a very high proportion of them come with the multimedia system too. The navigation works fine. You can update the maps with a newer version DVD. 

Thanks for the warm welcome, good to know about the tax being cheaper for the auto. What's fuel consumption like? Is it as bad as it sounds lol

I'll have a good read through all the above links and clue myself up.

What's the difference between the se ans se-L?

Hi Matt

As John said average MPG is OK for a car with this size of engine, I drove from Glasgow too Bispham (200 miles) last week and averaged 40MPG,  and lets just say I cannot put on print the speed I was travelling at, needless to say I'm happy with this MPG. To and from locally to the shops , don't expect anything like this however mid twenties is again OK to travel in comfort. When checking over car, take out dip stick, oil should be nice and clean, if its black, either not well maintained or something amiss. My oil has been is for over a year ( only 4000 miles done) and it is as clean as the day it was changed. Will be replacing with fresh oil soon. In my experience it is one of the cleanest engines I've had, in my previous car, Mercedes, oil was always black at oil change and the same mileage done. Hope you find a good one.   

• Like 1

That's really good mpg! My celica only does about 34 mpg so not that much difference there. I've just watched a YouTube video on how to replace spark plu they're proper buried aren't they 

1 hour ago, Matt1280 said:

That's really good mpg! My celica only does about 34 mpg so not that much difference there. I've just watched a YouTube video on how to replace spark plu they're proper buried aren't they 

yes you are right but like I said doable for the home mechanic and imagine the self satisfaction along with  not getting a £600 bill!

obviously a V6 is gonna  drink a bit but please don't be LED down the DERV route. In my opinion ( and I don't think I am alone) the IS Diesel was the worst car to have the L badge on the bootlid. Enjoy the 250 and if the consumption gets to be a problem at least you can say you had one. I love mine and for an 11 year old car it is phenomenal.

Paul m.

• Like 2

"" What's the difference between the se ans se-L? ""

the SE-L is the most equipped in the range and is sometimes mis advertised as an SE-I   the SE-L is the only model to have the wooden insert panels in the interior trim ( and yes it is real wood, highly lacquered and sourced from Yamaha the Piano Division!) and also the electric rear window sun screen.

Paul m.

44 minutes ago, Texas said:

"" What's the difference between the se ans se-L? ""

the SE-L is the most equipped in the range and is sometimes mis advertised as an SE-I   the SE-L is the only model to have the wooden insert panels in the interior trim ( and yes it is real wood, highly lacquered and sourced from Yamaha the Piano Division!) and also the electric rear window sun screen.

Paul m.

I like the idea of that rear Sun screen so yeah that's the one i'll try and find

1 hour ago, Matt1280 said:

Oh yeah I'd definitely be doing it myself, it's always satisfying when you do jobs yourself

Depending on the year and mileage of car, remember Lexus recommend changing plugs at 60k or 6 years, I would go on the mileage rather than the years, plugs are not wearing when the car is not running. Lexus recommends that the same car in America to change the plugs at 100k miles and lets face it , the Americans know their cars, so don't get hung up on the job, the car will soon let you know when the plugs require changing. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Surebet said:

Depending on the year and mileage of car, remember Lexus recommend changing plugs at 60k or 6 years, I would go on the mileage rather than the years, plugs are not wearing when the car is not running. Lexus recommends that the same car in America to change the plugs at 100k miles and lets face it , the Americans know their cars, so don't get hung up on the job, the car will soon let you know when the plugs require changing. 

Cheers for the heads up mate appreciate it

Have a look here.  I fitted one of these to an IS220 I had a number of years ago.  Doddle to fit and excellent in use.  It tricks the system into thinking you have a multi disc changer fitted and works through your existing stereo via the steering wheel controls.  Highly recommended and a reasonable price.

http://www.connects2.co.uk/products/ipod-adapters

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links