Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 220d on 176,000 and took my car for a full service.

The garage couldn't get the oil filter off the housing using 2 oil filter wrenches as feared breaking the housing off. I know there is a special tool but garage said even that wont work and to buy a new housing.

I have done a google search and some old listings on eBay come up but sold and can't find any others.

Anyone know where to buy a new or used one?   Suppose last source is Lexus. Could do with more engine bay trim clips and drivers footwell carpet fixings.

Many thanks.

James:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

I have a 220d on 176,000 and took my car for a full service.

The garage couldn't get the oil filter off the housing using 2 oil filter wrenches as feared breaking the housing off. I know there is a special tool but garage said even that wont work and to buy a new housing.

I have done a google search and some old listings on ebay come up but sold and can't find any others.

Anyone know where to buy a new or used one?   Suppose last source is Lexus. Could do with more engine bay trim clips and drivers footwell carpet fixings.

Many thanks.

What is it you are looking to buy - an oil filter tool or a new housing?

Who serviced the car last?

The space to remove the filter cap is limited and requires the use of the specific tool along with a socket wrench. Don't know what the garage has used but best to find one that can do the job with the correct tools. The filter cap socket is not expensive and can be found easily on eBay. There have been reports on a few users having the oil filter caps replaced too tight after a service and when trying to remove it the housing cracks.

One of the reasons I do my services myself (no use to you I know but its an easy job to change the oil)

Might be worth you buying the filter removal tool if you are using the same garage in the future. Have them try and apply even pressure using a long bar using the correct tool. Make sure you have available a source where you can get the oil housing from before trying to remove the cover.

Non Lexus garage has serviced it every year for the last 8 years for the previous owner. Not near me I'm afraid.

Suspect most probably housing tightened up too much or oil drained but filter not changed?

I need to buy the housing as even with two people using filter wrenches wouldn't budge it!  I'll also buy the removal tool.

The fact is that it is almost impossible to remove an overtightened oil filter housing with conventional filter removal tools. The correct tool usually does the job, maybe with some difficulty. It might be worth applying a little bit of heat, very cautiously, to the housing, if all else fails.

Correct tightening torque is 18ft lbs - not very tight at all.

There are quite a few ads for housings on eBay - mostly from China or USA. But it's only an ally can - the chinese ones should be perfectly OK. Cost about £12.

(Look for IS250 ones - they are the same for IS220D)

One odd thing - the specified torque setting for IS250 housing is 18 ft.lb - for the IS220D it's 30 ft.lb

• Thanks 1

I fear even the Lexus dealers overtighten this.

I've done a few oil changes, using the proper tool (cheap on ebay) and it comes away nice and easy.. I always re-tighten to the specified torque.

the first change I did (after warranty expired) .. it was really tight.. so it seems like they don't use a torque wrench in the dealerships. 

7 hours ago, jumbojake said:

I fear even the Lexus dealers overtighten this.

I've done a few oil changes, using the proper tool (cheap on ebay) and it comes away nice and easy.. I always re-tighten to the specified torque.

the first change I did (after warranty expired) .. it was really tight.. so it seems like they don't use a torque wrench in the dealerships. 

Not good! The more jobs you do not only saving money but know it's done right.

I haven't managed to get one yet as none on eBay. Emailed lexus breakers and not got back to me yet. I'll phone them next week as breaking several diesel 220's. A new one from Lexus Birmingham complete was £250!! I thought £100 new. £50 used.

I have ordered some engine bay engine cover clips and the carpet clip off eBay, so we'll see how they fit.

A mobile AC company is coming out to me on Tuesday to get my Lexus AC system leak tested, so hopefully find the leak and take it from there. The AC is certainly needed in the possible 30 degree heat this week, thankfully the 940 AC works.

I got the "Laser 4880" ... but plenty to choose from on eBay, many cheaper than this now ...

looks a bit like this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Tools-Oil-Filter-Wrench-64-5mm-x-14-Flutes-For-Toyota-Lexus-4880/171970642808?epid=651434366&hash=item280a3fc378:g:WSsAAOSwjVVVqACa

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links