Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12v electric oil pump for oil change

1 minute ago, jackcramerr said:

Has anyone used a 12v electic oil pump extractor for oil change?

They can be found for as low as 12 pounds.

I have considered these in the past but I can't help thinking there's no substitute for taking off the sump plug and letting everything drain.  I just wonder how these pumps would cope with any gunge that may be at the bottom.  Makes me want one though just because they're £12!

• Like 1

Seems a waste really why mess around, they can only be minimum oil left in the sump. Most people drain the oil after it has warmed up anyway.

I believe some modern Mercedes can only be done this way. 

Haven't used  12 volt pump however when changing oil in my previous Mercedes always used a vacuum pump to change oil, worked a treat and because oil filter was accessible from top ( engine compartment ). No messing about getting the car on ramps or trying to crawl under car. I wish the Lexus oil filter was accessible from top as  this method makes the job so easy and no mess.

Haven't used  12 volt pump however when changing oil in my previous Mercedes always used a vacuum pump to change oil, worked a treat and because oil filter was accessible from top ( engine compartment ). No messing about getting the car on ramps or trying to crawl under car. I wish the Lexus oil filter was accessible from top as  this method makes the job so easy and no mess.

Same here, I’ve used a vacuum one for years, which was great on my old 325 BMW and my current CLS63 Merc, wasn’t so handy with the GS’s due to still having the jack the car to get the filter off.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

Having used a Pela pump for many years on my previous car with great success I have been interested on this topic regarding power operated pumps. Has anyone on the site ever used a drill operated pump to extract oil from sump, as I have used a Wolfcraft pump on various occasions to pump water and it is very good. Using the hoses on the Pela pump in conjunction with the Wolfcraft drill operated pump, I'm pretty sure I could drain 7 litres of oil in a matter of minutes. Any thoughts or potential issues I may not have thought of.

21663_P&$prodImageMedium$ Wolfcraft 2202000 Water Pump 1.300 l/h

The flow rate will be limited by the diameter of the pick up hose "smaller than the dipstick tube", and the viscosity of the oil. If the pump tries to pull hot oil to quickly the pick up tube could collapse shutting off the flow of oil.

John

Maybe on other cars where you can reach the oil filter from the top of the engine then this pump would be useful but you need to change the filter from below on the IS (cant be done from the top)  - isn't it easier and quicker while doing so to drain the oil while under the car doing the filter?

Can this pump effectively drain all of the oil and if using it are you proposing to keep the old oil filter in the car?

Would keeping a residue of oil in the engine, quite conceivable 1 litre in using the pump reduce the life of the new oil you are putting in? - Maybe 1 litre is a bit excessive but theres a bit in the filter and in the pan itself - do you know the pump can remove this residue?

Maybe on other cars where you can reach the oil filter from the top of the engine then this pump would be useful but you need to change the filter from below on the IS (cant be done from the top)  - isn't it easier and quicker while doing so to drain the oil while under the car doing the filter?
Can this pump effectively drain all of the oil and if using it are you proposing to keep the old oil filter in the car?
Would keeping a residue of oil in the engine, quite conceivable 1 litre in using the pump reduce the life of the new oil you are putting in? - Maybe 1 litre is a bit excessive but theres a bit in the filter and in the pan itself - do you know the pump can remove this residue?

Yup, that’s what I was saying. It wasn’t so useful on the Lexus due to having to access the filter from under the car. I can’t imagine why you’d do an oil change without changing the filter.

Yes its definitely a bummer having to go under the car to change oil filter, when other cars can all be done from above, however I'm still tempted to use suction method as it is a lot cleaner and less bother and I reckon it removes at least the same if not more of the old oil. Any views on which oil filter housing removal tool to buy, seems a lot to choose from at varying prices. Any experienced members still use original Toyota oil filter and Toyota genuine motor oil, or is there a better alternative on the market. Using car only once a week, 2000 miles a year, will I still need to change fully synthetic every 12 months or should I go by mileage.  

Yes its definitely a bummer having to go under the car to change oil filter, when other cars can all be done from above, however I'm still tempted to use suction method as it is a lot cleaner and less bother and I reckon it removes at least the same if not more of the old oil. Any views on which oil filter housing removal tool to buy, seems a lot to choose from at varying prices. Any experienced members still use original Toyota oil filter and Toyota genuine motor oil, or is there a better alternative on the market. Using car only once a week, 2000 miles a year, will I still need to change fully synthetic every 12 months or should I go by mileage.  

I used K&N oil filters on all of my GS’s. They have a bolt head on the end of the filter casing, so easily undone with a spanner.

36 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

I used K&N oil filters on all of my GS’s. They have a bolt head on the end of the filter casing, so easily undone with a spanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi TigerFish

I'm a bit confused regarding K&N oil filter, have you done away with the the Toyota filter housing cap and replaced it with a steel canister type filter that incorporates a bolt for easy removal.

Hi TigerFish
I'm a bit confused regarding K&N oil filter, have you done away with the the Toyota filter housing cap and replaced it with a steel canister type filter that incorporates a bolt for easy removal.

I guess it depends what’s on your car. The GS’s just had standard canisters.

2 hours ago, TigerFish said:

I guess it depends what’s on your car. The GS’s just had standard canisters.

Thanks for clearing that up, before posting my previous comment I had watched a you tube on a oil filter change of a GS and the oil filter housing was the same as my IS , must have been a later model. Confusion solved!

This is the IS forum! All IS models have a non-disposable casing - you need the correct tool to remove and retighten it ( eg this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/64-5mm-14-Flute-Oil-Filter-Socket-Remover-Removal-Tool-For-Toyota-3-8-Drive/122345149365?hash=item1c7c56d3b5:g:WbMAAOSwQiFadeNJ )

Note the cut-outs in the rim - they are the vital bits which engage with lugs on the casing and are the reason why any old filter removal tool will not do.

Tightening torque is 18ft. lbs. - do not tighten it further.

I use K&N filter element inserts. Genuine Lexus ones and other brands are readily available - they are just paper and an O-ring seal. (You get an extra O-ring and a plastic spacer, both of which you chuck away)

Oil is a matter of choice - any 5W-30 fully synthetic will do and you need to change it every year or more often with even normal mileage. Lexus change interval is 12 months or 10000 miles - I change mine at 5000 miles. Extended interval oil changes threaten the life of the timing chains - and replacing them is a major, major job.

8 hours ago, johnatg said:

This is the IS forum! All IS models have a non-disposable casing - you need the correct tool to remove and retighten it ( eg this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/64-5mm-14-Flute-Oil-Filter-Socket-Remover-Removal-Tool-For-Toyota-3-8-Drive/122345149365?hash=item1c7c56d3b5:g:WbMAAOSwQiFadeNJ )

Note the cut-outs in the rim - they are the vital bits which engage with lugs on the casing and are the reason why any old filter removal tool will not do.

Tightening torque is 18ft. lbs. - do not tighten it further.

I use K&N filter element inserts. Genuine Lexus ones and other brands are readily available - they are just paper and an O-ring seal. (You get an extra O-ring and a plastic spacer, both of which you chuck away)

Oil is a matter of choice - any 5W-30 fully synthetic will do and you need to change it every year or more often with even normal mileage. Lexus change interval is 12 months or 10000 miles - I change mine at 5000 miles. Extended interval oil changes threaten the life of the timing chains - and replacing them is a major, major job.

Hi John

Thanks for the response, regarding filter removal tool, I notice some are shown with 3 cut-outs on each side and others have 3 cut-outs on one side and only one cut out on the other side. Is this just down to the manufacturer or is one the correct tool for the IS250, contacted Lexus and they cannot supply tool or advise on a particular supplier. Many of the tools on eBay are originating from China and although they are probably OK, I think I would prefer British or American made tools. Is the tool shown in the link you supplied the one you use. I always like buying something other people have had success with.

I have one from Laser - lasertools.co.uk - tool no 4880. It has three cutouts on one side and one on the other, but actually I think the filter housing only has one lug on each side. It looks pretty much identical to the one I referenced. Don't know where it's made but I'm afraid almost everything is made in China these days - even if the packaging is made in UK!

They are available on eBay and amazon, but I notice there is a rather cheaper one available from Sealey (also reputable) on amazon. That has three cutouts each side. Dunno why the number of cutouts varies - maybe for other applications.

12 minutes ago, johnatg said:

I have one from Laser - lasertools.co.uk - tool no 4880. It has three cutouts on one side and one on the other, but actually I think the filter housing only has one lug on each side. It looks pretty much identical to the one I referenced. Don't know where it's made but I'm afraid almost everything is made in China these days - even if the packaging is made in UK!

They are available on eBay and Amazon, but I notice there is a rather cheaper one available from Sealey (also reputable) on Amazon. That has three cutouts each side. Dunno why the number of cutouts varies - maybe for other applications.

Thanks very much for quick response John. 

Hi I agree with the Laser tool version , the housing can be difficult to remove ,it helps if the car is raised and use the longest bar you have { but not when re tightening ) as 18 ft/lb is the value as stated previously 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...