Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS300H energy monitor

Hello all, i bought a 141 Lexus IS300H F sport and im wondering could anybody share some knowlage  / experience with me . As i am new to the car i am looking closely at the energy monitor screen trying to figure it out as im driving. I have noticed that the Battery bars only go to 6 and never the 8 and i have read this is normal.  My question is when it gets to 6 bars should it stay charged and hold at the 6 bars for long as it seems to drop down faster than i thought. Bare in mind the driving i am doing is short stop and starts around the city and housing estates /streets. I got the hybrid certificate done when i bought the car and it all passed so i was just wondering is it normal for the Battery bars to bounce from 6 to 2 up and down in the short space while doing that type of driving ?? And what would be an  indicator if the Battery was losing its goodness and not doing the job properly ? And the last question if the Battery was to go bad can the car still be able to drive using the petrol engine. Thanks in advance much appreciated.

Wayne. 

Just to expand on what Peter said above - the small 12V Battery powers all the entry/exit systems and powers the computers to get the car into the 'Ready' state. There is no traditional starter motor; the internal combustion engine (ICE) is started by the traction Battery so as Peter says, if the traction Battery goes bad, no, the car cannot be used. Don't worry though, if the traction Battery does start to fail it doesn't have to be replaced as one unit; individual cells can be replaced.

You may or may not know that the hybrids also don't have traditional alternators and they have electric power steering and electric aircon compressors rather than the traditional belt-driven ones. This is because the engine isn't always running so traditional devices that are belt-driven from the engine wouldn't work properly. In a hybrid, the traction Battery does it all.

Yes, it is normal for the Battery indicator to go up and down like a bride's nightie. My RX450h sometimes gets all 8 bars lit up so it is possible.

5 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Just to expand on what Peter said above - the small 12V battery powers all the entry/exit systems and powers the computers to get the car into the 'Ready' state. There is no traditional starter motor; the internal combustion engine (ICE) is started by the traction battery so as Peter says, if the traction battery goes bad, no, the car cannot be used. Don't worry though, if the traction battery does start to fail it doesn't have to be replaced as one unit; individual cells can be replaced.

You may or may not know that the hybrids also don't have traditional alternators and they have electric power steering and electric aircon compressors rather than the traditional belt-driven ones. This is because the engine isn't always running so traditional devices that are belt-driven from the engine wouldn't work properly. In a hybrid, the traction battery does it all.

Yes, it is normal for the battery indicator to go up and down like a bride's nightie. My RX450h sometimes gets all 8 bars lit up so it is possible.

Thanks very much for this information .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

If the hybrid battery "goes bad" the ICE (internal combustion engine) will not function as all the electronics are powered via the hybrid (traction) battery.

Thank you.