Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h Service Intervals & a Dilemma!

Hi guys, so its been a while since I checked the service intervals after getting a service pack 3 years ago. As the service pack is coming to an end after the IS has it's 50k/5 year service this August, I thought I would take a look and it appears there has been some change since I took the plan out.

Anyway, the car is on 17k miles. Im planning on getting another service plan which would be 60k/6 years, 70k/7years and 80k/8 years as the car is faultless and there genuinely is no reason to change. 

However, the cost of this is £1435!! From the PDF checklist, it just looks like they replace the spark plugs at 60k. Otherwise 40k, 60k and 80k (and corresponding time-frames) are all the same so:

1) Why is 80k more expensive than 40k?

2) Should I miss the spark plug change at 60k/6 years (not time dependent) and just get a 20k full service done at £495?

3) Forget all of the above and just go onto Essential care Major and Minor and pay for spark plugs separately when needed?

Maybe its just me, but the new pricing structure which has been out a while (although Ive not paid much attention to it) is extremely confusing. The prices seem to fluctuate without any clear reason as to why either.

Should also mention that the service prices are getting beyond ridiculous now aren't they? Its bizarre how an IS300h only costs £400-500 less to service over 10 years compared to an IS-F!

Thanks!

I would certainly miss the spark plug change. In the Toyota's iridium plugs are inspected at 60K, and changed at 120k miles. Again with Toyota I found the difference between an intermediate service, and a full service was basically just extra checks all of which are carried out in the MOT that you are charged extra for.
As you say the servicing cost particularly where only small yearly millage's are concerned do not make sence.

To make matters even more complicated does a service history now matter since the dealer does not pass on the service book information due to the data protection act.

John.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I would certainly miss the spark plug change. In the Toyota's iridium plugs are inspected at 60K, and changed at 120k miles. Again with Toyota I found the difference between an intermediate service, and a full service was basically just extra checks all of which are carried out in the MOT that you are charged extra for.
As you say the servicing cost particularly where only small yearly millage's are concerned do not make sence.

To make matters even more complicated does a service history now matter since the dealer does not pass on the service book information due to the data protection act.

John.

Yes, they don't make sense at all. Just odd pricing and more confusing than it was before when they just had Intermediate or Full with spark plugs at 60k, Timing belt at xx miles etc. I'll miss the spark plug change. Only issue is that the dealers can sometimes have very little flexibility in terms of low mileage cars as they don't know what to do

I think the service book itself will be passed on I guess and I presume its all accessible via the Lexus App and Portal anyway but true details will be much harder to find.

Surely it'd be much easier to have "Information will be disclosed to the next owner including service history, invoices and all related articles" in the T&C of the sale to allow disclosure of information when signing to sell the car.

4 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yes, they don't make sense at all. Just odd pricing and more confusing than it was before when they just had Intermediate or Full with spark plugs at 60k, Timing belt at xx miles etc. I'll miss the spark plug change. Only issue is that the dealers can sometimes have very little flexibility in terms of low mileage cars as they don't know what to do

I think the service book itself will be passed on I guess and I presume its all accessible via the Lexus App and Portal anyway but true details will be much harder to find.

Surely it'd be much easier to have "Information will be disclosed to the next owner including service history, invoices and all related articles" in the T&C of the sale to allow disclosure of information when signing to sell the car.

The service book will not be passed on if it has you name and address in it as this now breaches the data protection act. From now on if you buy a SH car the log book will not show the last owners name, and address for the same reason.

John.

8 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The service book will not be passed on if it has you name and address in it as this now breaches the data protection act. From now on if you buy a SH car the log book will not show the last owners name, and address for the same reason.

John.

Service book doesn't have names on it, well mine doesn't anyway. Just stamps and mileage 

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

Then it's possible they would pass it on. My service book has all the vehicle details, reg no, vin, and first owners name, and address.

John.

I don't think the reg is an issue unless private, neither is the vin but address and first owner's name are!

However, back on topic I think I need to write a very long letter of complaint to Lexus UK regarding service pricing and intervals. I'm sure nothing will come of it but I think it's got to the point where it's silly 

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

3) Forget all of the above and just go onto Essential care Major and Minor and pay for spark plugs separately when needed?

This.

If there was extra work being done or parts being fitted during a normal full-price service then fair enough, but there isn't! The checklists are almost identical and your car will still have FLSH. Save the £150 and put it towards the following year's minor service.

• Like 1

The only things pertinent to the GDPR are personal names and addresses, not when a car had its last oil change or its VIN or licence plate. Any dealer trying to say otherwise needs to be put right.

Even if the service records do contain such details they only have to obliterate them but leave the rest of the records intact.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

This.

If there was extra work being done or parts being fitted during a normal full-price service then fair enough, but there isn't! The checklists are almost identical and your car will still have FLSH. Save the £150 and put it towards the following year's minor service.

I've seriously been considering this and by the looks of it is exactly the same. Ill have to ask the dealer exactly what is done and how much they charge because the essential care prices for the IS300h aren't online 

Yeah I guess you'll need to wait a few months until the IS300h has been available for exactly 5 years before it enters the Essential Care program. As long as they do the hybrid check, I wouldn't bother paying the inflated prices.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Yeah I guess you'll need to wait a few months until the IS300h has been available for exactly 5 years before it enters the Essential Care program. As long as they do the hybrid check, I wouldn't bother paying the inflated prices.

Yep should only be 1 month I think as the first ones were registered in July 2013. Ours is registered beginning of September but I've been getting it serviced on the last week of August to avoid having to do it when school starts as it's the wife's car

Am thinking this data protection is getting out of hand. It’s all due to the lefty hand wringing politicians I’m sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blimey Rayaans you have suprised me. Personally I would just get the dealer to do a bog standard service. Not at lexus  either but at Toyota. But unless you've a Lexus warranty on the car then you're stuck with taking it to a Lexus dealer.

So the essential service scheme is for cars 5 years and older?

6 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey Rayaans you have suprised me. Personally I would just get the dealer to do a bog standard service. Not at lexus  either but at Toyota. But unless you've a Lexus warranty on the car then you're stuck with taking it to a Lexus dealer.

So the essential service scheme is for cars 5 years and older?

Yep 5 years or older qualifies for Essential Care servicing which seems to be exactly the same as the full price Lexus service anyway

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's good to know. I'll price that up for my RX. Cheers m8.

Worth clarifying what you actually get though. At my dealer I get half price MOT with standard service plans and other benefits. It depends whether yours give you these and whether it's worth the price difference because sometimes the difference is not much between them. 

I'm just waiting for the essential care service prices for the IS300H to come through and then will probably go for that providing I'm happy with what I get

Yeah I know what you mean. I went online and 2 different dealer chains charge very different rates for essential cate plans. £100 difference on a 2 year deal. 

• 1 month later...

So I've basically managed to answer some of my own questions by speaking to the dealer whilst arranging another service plan for the IS as its running out after my next service on 29th August.

80k includes air filter, hence why its more expensive than 40k.

Also, I got quoted £944.84 in total for 60k/6years (Air filter and spark plug change in addition to a 20k service) and 70k/7 year service (standard intermediate service) and 2 MOTs (at £27.42 each). Obviously this price is ridiculous, especially as I dont need a spark plug change at less than 20k miles.

So, I opted for Lexus Essential Care for the IS for £648 which includes a major and a minor service and 2 MOTs. Also includes a voucher for 2-for-1 Lexus Roadside Assistance so another £125 saving 

Lexus Bradford said that they would not stamp the service book but they use an "essential care service stamp card". Frankly, I dont care. For a saving of £425 over 2 years, Id rather miss the stamp!

Should be good with essentials servicing. The only thing you may get charged extra for is an air filter as I believe only its inspection is included in the price.

12 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Lexus Bradford said that they would not stamp the service book but they use an "essential care service stamp card". Frankly, I dont care. For a saving of £425 over 2 years, Id rather miss the stamp!

It really is quite pathetic of Lexus that they don't let dealers stamp the book. It is just confusing to potential new owners.

36 minutes ago, rayaans said:

So I've basically managed to answer some of my own questions by speaking to the dealer whilst arranging another service plan for the IS as its running out after my next service on 29th August.

80k includes air filter, hence why its more expensive than 40k.

Also, I got quoted £944.84 in total for 60k/6years (Air filter and spark plug change in addition to a 20k service) and 70k/7 year service (standard intermediate service) and 2 MOTs (at £27.42 each). Obviously this price is ridiculous, especially as I dont need a spark plug change at less than 20k miles.

So, I opted for Lexus Essential Care for the IS for £648 which includes a major and a minor service and 2 MOTs. Also includes a voucher for 2-for-1 Lexus Roadside Assistance so another £125 saving 

Yet you can bet your bottom dollar that if you part exchanged the IS300h at Lexus Bradford with the essential care service history, they would still put in on the forecourt as a Lexus approved service history. 

Can you confirm that your essential care package quote is for three services ?

14 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Yet you can bet your bottom dollar that if you part exchanged the IS300h at Lexus Bradford with the essential care service history, they would still put in on the forecourt as a Lexus approved service history. 

Can you confirm that your essential care package quote is for three services ?

Yes they will because it's still a Lexus Service and has been done "according to Lexus standards" 

The essential care plan is for 2 services and 2 mots - £648. 2 years for the Standard plan was £945 Inc 2 MOTs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Should be good with essentials servicing. The only thing you may get charged extra for is an air filter as I believe only its inspection is included in the price.

It really is quite pathetic of Lexus that they don't let dealers stamp the book. It is just confusing to potential new owners.

Air filter is included. Don't think the cabin filter is though but I'll do that myself it's dead easy. 

Screenshot_20180816-212939.thumb.png.447213f96e112d92a5b9cd1a0b8e4c7b.png

• Like 1

I think the cabin filter is only included with a major service. It was changed during my last service (major), but not for the minor service I had done previously.
Whether the book gets stamped or not seems to be at the dealer's discretion, but Lexus Edinburgh always stamp the book in the usual way. Albeit with a handwritten note to state that it was "only" an Essential service.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, J Henderson said:

I think the cabin filter is only included with a major service. It was changed during my last service (major), but not for the minor service I had done previously.
Whether the book gets stamped or not seems to be at the dealer's discretion, but Lexus Edinburgh always stamp the book in the usual way. Albeit with a handwritten note to state that it was "only" an Essential service.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Are you on Essential Service too? 

The Edinburgh stamping method sounds much better. Don't understand why all dealers can't just do that. Regardless, I don't really care,  and neither will buyers if they can see that it's had all it's services. The info can be found on MyLexus app as well