Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reflection in windscreen.

Not exactly a Lexus specific problem, but someone might have an answer.

Recently we had a holiday on the South Coast, the first time we've taken the IS on holiday.

Driving along some of the narrow country lanes, I often found that the reflection off the dashboard of the sun coming through the trees,

made it extremely difficult to see where I was going.   I  had a similar problem many years ago with an Accord I owned, and found the solution

was to cut a piece of black material (an old T-Shirt) and lay that on the dashboard.  There are covers commercially available, but have not seen

any for a Lexus, not for an IS anyway and not in the UK..   It must be something to do with the rake of the screen (?) as I didn't get the same problem with my civic.

Anyone had the same issue ?........ and no, polaroid glasses are not the answer.   

If you have never tried it, sit in your car on a sunny day, and place a piece of matt black material ove the dashboard. The difference is amazing.

I do get a reflection from the binnacle part of the dash in my RC but never bad enough to worry me. Never had it in previous cars (Mercedes)

The Americans are very keen on dash covers, if only to protect them from fading in the intense sunshine. Have you checked the market in the States. I used amazon to buy a couple of easy-on Lexus seat covers only available in the US. As easy as buying from UK amazon..

Alan

I have this problem on my car and I find it very distracting. This may be an age thing too. Us oldies have much more crud floating about in the eye which makes things worse.

I was hoping to find a product which made the binnacle matt instead of shiny. I haven't found anything yet. I don't do many miles and the number of days this happens is small so it hasn't been a high priority. I bet somebody on this list knows a good product.....

John

I shall have a look while out shopping tomorrow. There's a place in our local indoor market which sells

a wide range of materials.  The ones made in the US will usually only be for left hand drive.

The level of reflection depends a lot on the make of the car, angle of windscreen etc.

This is along the lines of what I am talking about, but it only needs to be the drivers side.

https://www.alldeal.co.uk/dark-mat-car-dashboard-cover-mat-anti-reflective-center-console-pad-interior-dark-shade-supplies-protective-pad-mat-cover-deliver-product-according-to_p4520.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9pe3nMLf2wIVhc0bCh27QwFVEAQYBSABEgJfvvD_BwE

2 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

The level of reflection depends a lot on the make of the car, angle of windscreen etc

And driving position ..

Should be fairly easy to make something suitable from a dark felt material?

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

And driving position ..

Should be fairly easy to make something suitable from a dark felt material?

I hope so, I want it to look reasonably decent.

I bought some black felt material, but although it helped there was still a slight sheen to it.

So I did what I have done in the distant past, and sacrificed an old black T-Shirt. Then glued it to the material I bought.

It makes a huge difference . I've only made it to go on part of the drivers side, but it really improves the view. It's fixed using

a couple of double sided sticky pads. 

Adrian

On 6/22/2018 at 9:50 PM, Hadrian said:

I bought some black felt material, but although it helped there was still a slight sheen to it.

So I did what I have done in the distant past, and sacrificed an old black T-Shirt. Then glued it to the material I bought.

It makes a huge difference . I've only made it to go on part of the drivers side, but it really improves the view. It's fixed using

a couple of double sided sticky pads. 

I am glad you have fixed the problem. My point though is why we have this problem at all. The binnacle should be non-reflecting by design. It should not be necessary for the owner to make bits of stick-on non-reflective material.

John

Some cars have the problem, some don't.  I didn't get it on my Civic, probably as the screen had more of a rake on it,

The screen on the Lexus is a lot closer to the vertical.  I'm sure a lot of people have this problem, but either ignore it or

don't realize it's there.

I have the same problem with my GS, and have found polarised sun glasses eliminate the problem.

Sitting in the car in a car park today I was watching a motorcyclist putting on his crash hat.with my glasses on. I removed my glasses to wipe them, and to my amazement I could not see either the motorbike or the rider through the glare, and replaced and took off the glasses several times to note the effect.

John

• Like 1

^ +1 to this.

If it's sunny, then I wear sun glasses. Which also means reduced glare from the dash, win, win.

I've been wondering why the OP said sunnies weren't the answer?

13 hours ago, Farqui said:

^ +1 to this.

If it's sunny, then I wear sun glasses. Which also means reduced glare from the dash, win, win.

I've been wondering why the OP said sunnies weren't the answer?

Maybe he was not warring polarized glasses. I find they make a huge difference the texture pattern reflecting off the top of the dash on the screen all but disappearing.

John

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links