Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, I’ve bought these dust caps for the Lexus. They’re made from brass and chrome coated. Would these be ok to put on permanently or could they seize on the valve and not come off. Thanks everyone.

John. 7e75ff44a1f52239d9ef9eab64af5eac.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I have similar caps on my RX.  You're correct, it is possible for them to seize.  I always use my little finger to smear some oil on the thread and only do them up finger tight.  Remember that they are not holding air in, just keeping dust out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently had To have all four wheels removed and then tyres off because all four Aluminium dust caps were well and truly siezed on the stems and I could not confirm tyre pressures, they were hexagonal in shape and even using a 10mm socket and  Mole grips on the rubber valve stem they weren't coming off! £40 later I have four new stems with bog standard black plastic caps I can remove with just fingers.

paul m.

• Like 2

I recently had To have all four wheels removed and then tyres off because all four Aluminium dust caps were well and truly siezed on the stems and I could not confirm tyre pressures, they were hexagonal in shape and even using a 10mm socket and  Mole grips on the rubber valve stem they weren't coming off! £40 later I have four new stems with bog standard black plastic caps I can remove with just fingers.
paul m.

I’m not sure what to do then

As the others have said, a little oil or grease will do the job. Personally I'd use a little copper or lithium grease.
Use them. They look nice.

Thanks mate. My mates a mechanic so I’ll ask him for some copper or lithium grease. £4.50 from eBay delivered.

Yes, no doubt some lube will stop the problem I had arising, but the person who put them on with no lube had/has no idea the grief I had to deal with!

Paul m

On 6/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, steveledzep said:

I have similar caps on my RX.  You're correct, it is possible for them to seize.  I always use my little finger to smear some oil on the thread and only do them up finger tight.  Remember that they are not holding air in, just keeping dust out.

I also use my little finger to smear. Coincidence or what.  :lol:

Yes, no doubt some lube will stop the problem I had arising, but the person who put them on with no lube had/has no idea the grief I had to deal with!
Paul m

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare that mate. [emoji47]

Metal valve caps falls in my category of "never again, lesson learned".  A bit like the "don't have a chicken phal the night before a three hour minibus ride with a party of work colleges " lesson.

Metal valve caps falls in my category of "never again, lesson learned".  A bit like the "don't have a chicken phal the night before a three hour minibus ride with a party of work colleges " lesson.

Did they seize on you?

16 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

Did they seize on you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seizure was not an option in the case of my example "don't have a chicken phal the night before a three hour minibus ride with a party of work colleges"

1 hour ago, Verbout said:

I also use my little finger to smear. Coincidence or what.  :lol:

Yes, the secret is in the little finger smearing the lubrication.  Another secret is not to overtighten, they're only keeping dust out.  I've used metal dustcaps on my three Lexus' and my four Saabs before that....never a problem.

• Like 1

Yes, the secret is in the little finger smearing the lubrication.  Another secret is not to overtighten, they're only keeping dust out.  I've used metal dustcaps on my three Lexus' and my four Saabs before that....never a problem.

I got some lithium before. I’ll use that. See what happens. Hopefully it’ll be ok. Thanks.

Seizure was not an option in the case of my example "don't have a chicken phal the night before a three hour minibus ride with a party of work colleges"

What happened then?

A month ago we had to use dremel tool to cut out similar caps off my mates Q7. They had literally welded themselves on... obviously some damage was caused to valve stands,  but that was the only option to fill the tires before long trip.

A month ago we had to use dremel tool to cut out similar caps off my mates Q7. They had literally welded themselves on... obviously some damage was caused to valve stands,  but that was the only option to fill the tires before long trip.

I’ve got some copper grease and lithium grease off my friend who’s a mechanic. Some advice off the lads here say that should stop them from seizing up.

Yes I am sure it would.. however the dust caps are for preventing dust and dirt to get in and now you going to use copper grease ... which arguably is worse for the valve then dust. I think lithium greats is lightly better for application (lesser evil of 2) 🙂 

ohhh what people wouldn't do for shiny dustcaps..

Yes I am sure it would.. however the dust caps are for preventing dust and dirt to get in and now you going to use copper grease ... which arguably is worse for the valve then dust. I think lithium greats is lightly better for application (lesser evil of 2) [emoji846] 
ohhh what people wouldn't do for shiny dustcaps..

So lithium would be the best out of the 2.

Yes indeed... it would not smear over everything with "rust-like colour" and it could actually be cleaned relatively easy, it turns transparent as well.

Thanks mate.

On the other hand.. in theory copper grease is much better in preventing seizing - that is sole purpose of it in fact.

Lithium grease is more for machinery and moving parts as type of heavy grease... however, because the only purpose of application is to prevent water ingress and subsequent oxidation of thread (or at least making thin barrier to prevent cold veld between valve and oxidated cap) - in short lithium grease should be fine.