Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav

Ok, for my IS200 SE, what options could I choose from in order to have Sat Nav in car?

Obviously the Sat Nav which Lexus supply for the IS is gonna be too costly and too much of a headache to install....so what other options and likely prices do I have?

Thanks - Neil

You could go that way Neil...

But then you still have to buy the farenheit 7" monitor, and adapt this into the housing yourself.

Then add the cost of the Navigation unit you decide to choose and Search long and hard for the RGB pin outs.

I would assume the Farenheit 7" monitor will have composite input anyways..

Thats a good idea....I would be after a unit that would just sit in a holder, plug into the ciggie lighter and work like that....I'd reather not get into ripping my car appart to install wire's, power cable's and aerials!

I also want one which can talk the route, re-calculate if I take a wrong turn, moving map..etc

Based on that....what kind of options/cost do I have?

Thanks again - Neil

yeah both the navman and the tomtom pocket Pc things will suit you fine

they both talk to you and recalculate as you go as well as having new updates to the software every few months. Ive been using a Pocket PC sat nav for about 2 years now. its really easy to use. only problem is having to remove it from the car all the time when you go out anywhere

ok cool...thanks for the info Brettster!!

Just one other question, how do you get the software updates onto the handheld.....i'm assuming that this is done by loading them onto your laptop or PC and transferring the data via ActiveSync and USB...or something similar. I guess you also have to buy the updates...

Thanks - Neil

The updates to the software are free, it just sorts out bugs usually

you normally have to buy the next version of the software eg going from TOMTOM V1 to V2 but the bug fixes for that version are free.

I just pop the pocket Pc in its cradle and transfer the downloaded update to the Pocket PC. take a few secs

Well Neil I can reccomend the one I use as its never let me down yet.

its a Compaq Ipaq 3950 pocket pc and one of the first NAVMAN GPS Jackets using TOMTOM 2 Software. Here's a Pic of it in action

there are lots of different GPS units around now but this method works for me it attaches to the windscreen using a sucker as seen here and has never fallen off yet.

I have seen ALDI selling a pocket PC with GPS setup for £399.99

which is very cheap :)

i think just about any Pocket pc or Palm device can be used these days for incar GPS just make sure you have a large memory card for the map data (128 meg or more)

Brett