Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h Codes and Mechanics

David2000

Hi Everyone- first post

I bought a GS450h on an 07 plate a couple of weeks ago and took it to a local garage this evening ready for an MOT tomorrow morning. 

Just before the garage closed, they phoned me and said that there were some worrying codes showing up on their scanner. I’m picking the printout (and maybe the car) up tomorrow, so I’ll post which codes are appearing then. Hopefully some knowledgeable people will be able to help me out.

I have a feeling, having read through quite a few posts, one of the codes showing is P0017, the one to do with crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation. The mechanic didn’t tell me the code (he’s printed them off for me) but did mention this and that this could be a timing chain problem. I’m hoping this is not the case (obviously) and that the fixes I’ve read about on the forum, to do with cleaning out the filters etc, work for me. 

Another of the warning lights I have is the TPMS system. I’d already told the mechanic about this but he mentioned that his equipment can’t recode new sensors even if he fits them, which brings me to the point!

Does anyone know of any independent garages in the Peterborough/ South Lincolnshire area where the mechanics are more clued up on Lexus cars? If not, how would I find one? Is there a way of locating a “Lexus approved” mechanic in my area?

Any help much appreciated. 

Cheers

Dave

8 hours ago, David2000 said:

Hi Everyone- first post

I bought a GS450h on an 07 plate a couple of weeks ago and took it to a local garage this evening ready for an MOT tomorrow morning. 

Just before the garage closed, they phoned me and said that there were some worrying codes showing up on their scanner. I’m picking the printout (and maybe the car) up tomorrow, so I’ll post which codes are appearing then. Hopefully some knowledgeable people will be able to help me out.

I have a feeling, having read through quite a few posts, one of the codes showing is P0017, the one to do with crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation. The mechanic didn’t tell me the code (he’s printed them off for me) but did mention this and that this could be a timing chain problem. I’m hoping this is not the case (obviously) and that the fixes I’ve read about on the forum, to do with cleaning out the filters etc, work for me. 

Another of the warning lights I have is the TPMS system. I’d already told the mechanic about this but he mentioned that his equipment can’t recode new sensors even if he fits them, which brings me to the point!

Does anyone know of any independent garages in the Peterborough/ South Lincolnshire area where the mechanics are more clued up on Lexus cars? If not, how would I find one? Is there a way of locating a “Lexus approved” mechanic in my area?

Any help much appreciated. 

Cheers

Dave

Welcome to the LOC Dave. The TPMS has been mentioned a few times lately, a forum Search may help you.  Post the codes when you have them and go from there.  

Thanks Phil

Here are the codes-

P0017- (Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Positions Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

I've read the posts about this one on the forum. I'm hoping that an oil and filter change will resolve this. The mechanic says there's a possibility of a stretched chain. I think this is unlikely but how would I know through normal driving? The car doesn't miss a beat and no weird noises etc.

C1259- HV System Regenerative Fault, C1310- Fault in HV System/ ACTV Brake Booster Solenoid

This is a bit of a concern to me. The guy I bought it off is supposed to be an "expert" in reconditioning the Battery pack. The one thing I wanted a cast iron guarantee on was that the Battery pack was healthy. He told me he warrants the batteries for a year or 10000 but it looks like the car might have to go back for this.

P0A80- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

I had nothing to warn me that there might be a problem with the Battery on the drive on the way home. The Battery seems to be charging correctly and there didn't seem to be any issues. The Battery was very low when I drove the car for the first time for a week yesterday but it seemed to recharge fine in the drive to the garage. The light and warning for this hasn't come on when I've been driving the car but apparently came on when the mechanic moved the car last night to lock it up for the night. I'm green when it comes to buying cars in general but I wouldn't have touched it had I known that this was going to happen. The guy I bought this off does have a website advertising that he reworks Battery packs and I have the warranty in writing (a text) so I'm hoping that his word is good. He certainly represents himself as a business so I should have some come back on this.

C2121, C2122, C2123, C2124- TPMS Codes

They're obviously not transmitting or they're not coded correctly. Worst case scenario a second hand ECU? Anyone else had to replace one?

Fast starting to think I've been had.

Thanks everyone.

Dave

If the seller is a dealer, and it sounds like he is, I can't help thinking he should be sorting these problems for you or giving you your money back. And does that mean you bought it with just a couple of weeks MOT left?

Yes Phil and David, it is the dealers responsibility to fix at his own cost any significant repair which is required within 6 months of purchase.

Back to the Dealer David and demand that he abides by his responsibilities, or else demand your money back and return the car.

Name the Dealer and his location if you feel able to.

Dave, let us know how you get on if you're going to contact the seller.  I know Lexus will do a hybrid health check for only about £60 so it may be worth considering, unless like me you live miles from the closest one. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum so keep posting questions. Sometimes answers are a bit slow as Lexus aren't the most common cars.

Hi guys 

Thanks for your support. In all fairness I can understand if people think I’m an idiot for buying the car and I’d have to agree, but I’d already missed out on 4 other cars I wanted and as I haven’t had a car for several years (having lived in London where’s there was really no point), so I guess I panicked. 

I bought the car with the understanding that the Battery was warranted for a year but that the brakes and a couple of other bits would need work. I therefore got it for a good price. I’m still prepared to put money in it providing the Battery is OK. Even I know that the Battery is the major thing to get right!

Although the guy has a business of reconditioning Battery packs, he claimed that the car I bought was his own one which he was moving on as he had another two he had just bought in- so a bit of a grey area as far as consumer rights are concerned?  His website name is on the texts he sent me when we agreed terms and so I guess I could claim that he was trading? He’s not a car dealer though. Perhaps that doesn’t matter as far as my consumer rights are concerned? Sorry- you can tell I’m very green about buying cars. 

In all fairness I’ve spoken to him tonight after I texted him about the problems and he’s told me again that he stands by the Battery pack and that if there’s anything wrong with it he’ll sort it. He seemed to think that the garage where I took the car for its MOT interfered and messed with the hybrid connection (there was a bit more to it than that but I’m not technical so wasn’t following). I’m going to phone him tomorrow and he’s going to talk me through fixing the Battery connection and clearing the “check hybrid system” reading and all the other stressful displays you get. 

I’m going to see how things pan out over the next few days and I’ll keep you posted. This forum has already helped me out a lot and the next idiot who rushes in with heart rather than head might need some information! I’ll be happy to name the guy who I’ve been dealing with after I’ve seen how things turn out. If anyone wants to PM me (is that possible?) then please do.

I’ve also decided that I need to send the car in to someone who really knows what they’re doing. The local garage where I took the car weren’t able to do anything about the TPMS sensors and I don’t even know how many and whether I need to replace them, or whether it’s the ECU. I’ve bought myself a Techstream so hopefully that’ll help me diagnose various issues, but again this will take some learning and a lot of help from the knowledgable people on here 👍 I’ve heard good things about Japex in Kings Langley so I might get a mate of mine to trailer the car down there after I’ve spoken to them. It’ll have to be next month though as I’m pretty much cleaned out this month. 

Ill post a scan of the MOT cert tomorrow after I’ve done some editing. It failed on brakes and one tire as well as having the lights on the dash so was deemed dangerous which has cancelled out the last MOT. 

On the bright side, once the car is fixed up and tip top I’m pretty sure I could get back almost if not all the money I’ve put in. I don’t want to sell her though, I really want to get her sorted- they really are lovely cars and I’m already pretty attached to her. 

Good luck with it all Dave. We look forward to some more positive news from you! Hopefully everything can be sorted without the need for too much expense. Brake problems on the GS are common but in many cases the calipers can be cleaned, freed up and lubricated. The good thing is you say you got it at a good price and expect to spend some money on it.  Just out of interest what's the mileage?

Hi Phil

It’s pretty high at 197000. Based on what others have said I don’t think that would have been much of an issue if the car had been properly maintained? 

Saw this a while back, the seller originally had it on for £2k but looks a good deal now-

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/superb-lexus-gs450h-hybrid-fmdsh-xenons-30mpg-341-bhp-leather-ac-6cd-mark-levinson-hifi-/1300756405

333000 miles! I thought the chain might be an issue after so many miles but I spoke to an ex-Lexus techie based in Sheffield whose name I can’t remember but who has been mentioned on here, and he said that he’s never known a Lexus one to be any trouble. Renault and Ford, yes- but not Lexus.

This is a steep learning curve but as I said, I’m confident that I can get most of my money back in the long run. I can afford to put a bit of money into her providing I can get a couple of years of worry free motoring, so I’m going to get to work today!

This is turning into cautionary tail- “What happens when you buy with your heart and not your head” or “Don’t buy a car with the MOT due”.

Anyone got any experience with replacing the front part of the exhaust? I’ve see a few companies will happily deal with the middle and back but a quick search of the forum didn’t turn up much.

Can anyone give me a link if the exhaust has been discussed?

Cheers

02048A89-3AE3-4144-867F-75706F8D2B1D.jpeg

Dave, you need to go back to the seller, you've got texts from him suggesting he's a dealer of some kind.  Why not put his details on here to see if anyone else knows him?

• 1 month later...