Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

29 minutes ago, HarryM said:

I do like mine but it is a bit boring. I had a test drive in an Audi Sq2 and loved it. The dash is something Lexus should copy (like the indicators) boot space is a bit smaller but it's fun, the main thing missing from my NX  

To be fair, I have another car in the garage for 'fun' albeit I hardly ever use it. As I've got older I care more about comfort and refinement. I just want to get where I want to get with as little stress as possible. 

Audi do make a nice interior. Pity about the DSG gearboxes, which is why I'd never own (another) one. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, First_Lexus said:

To be fair, I have another car in the garage for 'fun' albeit I hardly ever use it. As I've got older I care more about comfort and refinement. I just want to get where I want to get with as little stress as possible. 

Audi do make a nice interior. Pity about the DSG gearboxes, which is why I'd never own (another) one. 

And of course, Audis are common. I mean, popular. 😉

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

I've had my Winter wheels and tyres fitted this afternoon. Aside from the aesthetics - personally I prefer the black wheels that my Winter tyres are fitted on to the standard silver - the Winter Bridgestone Blizzaks transform the car. They're significantly quieter and ride much better, with the added benefit that they're much more secure in the cold weather.

The OEM Yokohama BluEfficiency tyres still have between 7-8mm all round after c8k miles, but the difference is so stark that I might just swallow hard and replace them next year. Not sure with what, probably Falkens if I can get them based on previous good experience. It really does hammer home the difference a set of tyres can make to a car...

Winter tyre thread - Bridgestone Blizzak

I have got a set of Michelin Latitude Alpin L2 for our NX. I will let you know the difference between these and the Yokohamas. I have been told that the Michelins have a higher rolling resistance and may give poorer fuel economy.

Did you get the TPMS reprogrammed?

8 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

I have got a set of Michelin Latitude Alpin L2 for our NX. I will let you know the difference between these and the Yokohamas. I have been told that the Michelins have a higher rolling resistance and may give poorer fuel economy.

Did you get the TPMS reprogrammed?

Yes, Lexus Swindon reprogrammed the TPMS. The codes for each set of wheels and tyres are written into the dedicated space at the back of the service record.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had the winter wheels/tyres fitted to the NX. The ride quality from the full winter Michelin Latitude Alpin L2s is much more comfortable and compliant than the standard Yokohamas. It makes you wonder why Lexus don't fit Michelins (Cross Climate?) as standard as they are selling a premium vehicle into the UK which has variable weather. It would not cost them very much.

There is about the same level of road noise which is good given the tread pattern on the winters. I can't really say about the grip performance in poor conditions as we haven't had any yet but I don't anticipate any problems.

The Carista module works as advertised to reprogram the TPMS system and is reasonable at £20 for the dongle and about £30 for the software upgrade to be able to do this programming. It's certainly cheaper than Lexus would charge.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A quick update on my NX - and the best sort of update. It gets better the more miles I do. Now with 15k miles in 18 months, I appreciate the car more every single day.

Quality is supreme, the ride compliant, and it's quiet and comfortable. No rattles, no squeaks. Economical. Practical. Great service from the dealer. 

I had thought I'd downsize next year, but that now seems highly unlikely. This is a car that does everything I want and more, certainly the best I've owned (and I've owned a few!). I can see this staying with me for the duration - up to 10 years or more. Why would I change something that works so perfectly?

Superb. 👍 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I haven't posted much recently (apart from the excellent word association game thread) as I haven't had much to say.

My NX continues to be a pleasure to own. Nothing has gone wrong. There are no rattles. Apart from a few stone chips on the front bumper, it is as new. In June it will be three years old, and in all likelihood I'll keep it. I can't think of another car that will do exactly what I want with a quality that becomes more obvious with length of ownership.

I ought to downsize, but actually with fewer miles as working at home more frequently I may as well keep something that I really like. Comfortable? Yes, supremely. Quiet? Yes. Good enough for me. Reliable? She's been faultless. Economical? 38-42 MPG is more than acceptable. Service from Lexus Swindon has been equally good.

Winter wheels and tyres will go back on shortly. That's the sum total of activity since the Summer wheels were fitted at the annual service. What more could one ask for from a car? Experience amazing indeed!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I haven't posted much recently (apart from the excellent word association game thread) as I haven't had much to say.

My NX continues to be a pleasure to own. Nothing has gone wrong. There are no rattles. Apart from a few stone chips on the front bumper, it is as new. In June it will be three years old, and in all likelihood I'll keep it. I can't think of another car that will do exactly what I want with a quality that becomes more obvious with length of ownership.

I ought to downsize, but actually with fewer miles as working at home more frequently I may as well keep something that I really like. Comfortable? Yes, supremely. Quiet? Yes. Good enough for me. Reliable? She's been faultless. Economical? 38-42 MPG is more than acceptable. Service from Lexus Swindon has been equally good.

Winter wheels and tyres will go back on shortly. That's the sum total of activity since the Summer wheels were fitted at the annual service. What more could one ask for from a car? Experience amazing indeed!

And before she`s three and M.O.T.`d Ed, we have;

Christmas

A Mars landing in February

Easter and

sadly, Covid still floating around !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

. I can't think of another car that will do exactly what I want with a quality that becomes more obvious with length of ownership.

That is the essence of owning a Lexus. On first acquaintance you think,   "Yes, it's good but not stunning - it does what it says on the tin." But after owning the vehicle for a few months/years you begin to fully appreciate the quality and engineering. Bells and Whistles, at my age (yes you youngsters have this to come!) do not float my boat. But neat design, coupled with excellent engineering and quality begins to be fully appreciated as time of ownership goes by. And I am talking about a 1998 LS 400! 

• Like 4

On 10/15/2020 at 5:48 PM, First_Lexus said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My NX is of a similar age to yours and I simply can't fault it. It does everything I need it to do and more. My appreciation of it grows each time I drive it.

Mine will be three years old next July - at which point my PCP will come of age - but the only way I'll change it around that time will be if\when a new, facelifted, NX becomes available to upgrade to.

• Like 3

I am in the same situation. My NX is 3 years old in March and has only done 13,000 miles since new.   I was looking to change it, but it is 'as new'.

I am one of those that start looking to change when 3 years comes up and it can take up to a couple of years to make a decision, but buying the NX has made me realise that there is no better car that suits my overall needs than what I have. So, it looks like I will get the extended warranty and wait for the new NX to arrive.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I am in the same situation. My NX is 3 years old in March and has only done 13,000 miles since new.   I was looking to change it, but it is 'as new'.

I am one of those that start looking to change when 3 years comes up and it can take up to a couple of years to make a decision, but buying the NX has made me realise that there is no better car that suits my overall needs than what I have. So, it looks like I will get the extended warranty and wait for the new NX to arrive.

There goes a very senssible man !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grumps said:

Likewise I am in a similar predicament in that my NX will be 3 years old next April. By that time it will have covered c27k miles. Don't  know whether to trade in for a new one or extend the warranty. It is in immaculate condition inside and out, has been faultless, still brings a smile to my face every time I drive and could still easily pass (and has been) for a brand new car.  The UX is a lovely car but just too small for me at present. I expect the next generation NX will include a PHEV which is tempting me to hang on to mine until it becomes available but if that is still some way off I may think again. Nice "problem" to have!! 

• Like 5

Surely the best thing about working from home more and more is not having to keep washing the car. It stays looking clean for so much longer. I love mine too. They are incredibly relaxing cars to drive and the seats are wonderful. They lack a bit of get up and go but my advancing years seem to be less bothered about this than I perhaps would have been a few years back.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Surely the best thing about working from home more and more is not having to keep washing the car. It stays looking clean for so much longer. I love mine too. They are incredibly relaxing cars to drive and the seats are wonderful. They lack a bit of get up and go but my advancing years seem to be less bothered about this than I perhaps would have been a few years back.

@paulrnx

Yes, it is the relaxed drive and supreme comfort that appeals most. It certainly isn't a car for a 'boy racer' but tbh as you get older you (usually) get wiser and realise that driving everywhere fast is futile. Enjoy the journey, slow down and relax is my motto! 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Winter tyres fitted this morning - not a moment too soon as a) weather has got chilly, and b) there is an unrepairable cut to one of the Summer Yokohamas 🙁

Driving back from Swindon, I’m reminded how the Winter Bridgestones transform the car. Much quieter and a far more compliant ride, with the added bonus of grip in slippery cold conditions.

Given one of my Summer tyres needs changing before they go back onto the car, I may change the full set as the OEM Yokos aren’t the best. We will see, as they still have about 5mm left. If I do change, I’ll probably go with Falken as I’ve had great experience with them on previous vehicles.

• Like 1

When I ran a succession of Jaguar XF cars I always swapped to winter tyres every November and back again in March/April. I agree with everything you say, the difference in winter grip levels with winter tyres on is simply astounding. I haven’t ever done this with any of the Lexus cars I’ve owned but I am considering Michelin Cross Climates on all four corners all year round.

• Like 3

My NX is 5 years old and it’s still a great car to drive. Real quality and still quiet, comfortable and tight feeling. It’s only done 22k mikes mind. I’m not surprised that some want to keep hold of their NX after 3 years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

My NX is 5 years old and it’s still a great car to drive. Real quality and still quiet, comfortable and tight feeling. It’s only done 22k mikes mind. I’m not surprised that some want to keep hold of their NX after 3 years.

Paul

Some Members have LS models, 3 time that age and more, with 10 times that mileage.

And one of our Members has an 18 year old Merc with 12,5 times that mileage.

The moral is......keep the NX.  🙂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Yeah I’m looking forward to seeing some of them the next time we can get out for a meet.

^^ What is this ‘getting out’ you refer to? Not sure I can remember...🤪

• Haha 2