Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picked up my new NX Luxury in Mesa Red from Lexus Swindon this afternoon. No doubt it will take me a while to get to grips with the new navigation system and the touchpad, but so far it all seems very nice 😀

I must also thank Rob, James and all at Lexus Swindon who have been great to deal with - not to mention incredibly patient - throughout my trials with the previous NX Sport. Lexus UK also deserve thanks. The promise of this level of customer service is one reason why I chose a Lexus in the first place, and it's nice to see it is real even though I wish I'd never had to find out! 

I'm off to play with my new toy...🙂

fullsizeoutput_3cc.thumb.jpeg.1c7f71ee9fc8f59e9f8c82f46779c52d.jpegfullsizeoutput_3d0.thumb.jpeg.2c664729e52ff923ec70a6c0815afa54.jpegfullsizeoutput_3d4.thumb.jpeg.2d26ba1694058bcdac63b8acea98c80d.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Habu said:

Looks great. Be interesting to hear your views on the new model vs the previous.

Will do. Most of my thoughts will doubtless be the new Premium Navigation vs the previous 'standard' navigation. Far too early to make any statements yet, although it does feel quite intuitive to me with the touchpad - and I speak as a technology imbecile! Certainly on the journey home I can feel that the ride is softer than before.

One thing that I do find surprising...electric seats and steering wheel, but no memory function for the seats. Seems a bit mean...

My initial impressions of the facelift Luxury vs pre-facelift Sport NX are;

- The Mesa Red paintwork is amazing in the sun, very sparkly...but looks a bit dull otherwise. Overall I like it, although I really liked the Mercury Grey too.

- The leather seats smell nicer (!) than the Tahara, but I don't find them quite as comfortable yet.

- Ride quality is noticeably improved, far more forgiving especially over larger potholes that caused a shudder in the previous model. The new car is running on the same Yokohama BluEfficiency tyres, so my comparison should be accurate.

- Hybrid mode kicks in more and holds for longer. I've got no idea why, or whether the settings are different in the facelift to how they were before, but there you go!

- The extra equipment is nice, especially the electric seats and steering wheel. However, I am surprised that there aren't memory settings included at this trim level - believe those appear with the F-Sport and Premier.

- Too early to really give an opinion on the Premium Nav vs the previous 'standard' nav, but the graphics look nice and the bigger screen is welcome. I quite like the touchpad when not moving, but so far I'm finding it tricky when on the move. Sign of age perhaps, but I'd still prefer buttons (even though there are still a few). At least it isn't a BMW i- Drive, which I find to be the work of the devil and almost impossible to use. Just me?

- I prefer the styling of the front bumper, but not the larger rear lights - purely from an aesthetic perspective.

That's it really. 90% the same car, but with a better ride and a few extra bells and whistles, many of which I'll likely never use!

And finally a question. In the menus there is an option to go 'online' but no detail behind it. I'm baffled by the online manuals (will ask Lexus for proper paper versions). Anybody know? I've registered the navigation system on MyLexus already.

Hello Ed!

First of all, congrats on your new beauty!
I've been planning to get an NX300h Luxury as well, but there's a thing what i'd like to see clear.
Considering i use my car 90% in city (in massive traffic), that would be cool if the DRCC (adaptive tempomat)
could break the car to 0 and start it from this state after i push the 'Resume' button.

My problem is, the dealer says however the DRCC is able to stop the car to 0, but i can resume it at/above 40km/h (25mph).
One of the official Lexus page says the following:

"...it can automatically reduce the speed of your Lexus—even to a complete stop. As soon as the road ahead clears, your Lexus returns to its preset speed. For added convenience, the system can even operate in stop-and-go traffic."

Additionally i saw more Youtube video, where the above statement was shown and seemd to be proven.

Can you please confirm or confute my words, that'd be important.

Thanks for your reply in advance!

Best regards:

Norbert

P.S.: sorry for my terrible English, it's not my native language.

@kirby76

Don't worry about your English, we're all here to try and help one another! I do believe that the cruise control doesn't operate below a certain speed, and also that's you shouldn't be relying on it in city traffic. The auto anti-collision isn't a feature I've had a chance to test out yet either and hope I never will...

Based on previous Hondas with similar systems, I've not seen one on which you should rely in heavy traffic. I think that type of functionality is for the self-driving future rather than right now.

Ed, thx for your input.

Actually i drove a CX-5 Mazda today and it has the feature we are talking about here. I tested it in heavy traffic and adaptive cruise
control did an excellent job: it slowed and stopped the car to 0 and then accelerate it smoothly depending on traffic speed.

Funny, my wife's Volvo XC60 (model year is 2012) does the same. It's a shame that Lexus doesn't provide this simple feature in 2018. 

The local Lexus dealer lends an NX300h Luxury tomorrow for a few hours, so i'll be smarter after the test. Can't wait... 🙂 

The adaptive cruise control of the NX cannot be set below 30mph. However, once set, it will slow the car to a complete standstill. Once the car in front starts moving, the screen will show a message saying something like "Preceding Traffic Moving" (Can't remember the exact message), and all you need to do is to flick up the Cruise Control stalk for the car to start again, without needing to touch any of the pedals.

It is a brilliant and very useful feature when travelling in stop/start traffic.

Thanks Dan for your comment, yes, i tested the NX today, the ACC works exactly as you described. 
It's an amazing car, i only found one "cheap solution": the covering of sunroof, i don't understand how
is it possible to have to open/close that manually. An electronic (button controlled) version would be
much more elegant.

Tomorrow i'm going to try a Q5 just for the sake of convincing myself about hating on german cars, TDI 
and turbo engines. 🙂

13 hours ago, kirby76 said:

Thanks Dan for your comment, yes, i tested the NX today, the ACC works exactly as you described. 
It's an amazing car, i only found one "cheap solution": the covering of sunroof, i don't understand how
is it possible to have to open/close that manually. An electronic (button controlled) version would be
much more elegant.

Tomorrow i'm going to try a Q5 just for the sake of convincing myself about hating on german cars, TDI 
and turbo engines. 🙂

Does any car with a small sunroof have an electric cover?

Go for the panoramic sunroof if it bothers you

You are probably right, i didn't check any other models. 

But, i talked to the dealer, she said the cover opens automatically with the sunroof, we need
our hand only for closing.

• 2 months later...

Having now had my NX Luxury for three months and almost two thousand miles, I'm very happy. Barring the odd squeak from the rear - correctly diagnosed by a forum member as the rubber boot mat rubbing against the tailgate so easily sorted - my view is that;

- the NX is comfortable, and very quiet and refined at all speeds

- power and performance is good. I've read many threads about the 300h drivetrain not being powerful enough, but it is more than adequate for me. I'd say that those who think it is underpowered should remember what the majority of drivers on U.K. roads drive - Hyundai i10s, Fiestas, Astras and the like - and then realise what a privileged position we are in being able to drive the types of cars that we do 

- the ride quality is improved from the pre-facelift model, although I didn't have an issue with it even then. I wouldn't want the harder F-Sport though, that isn't for me

- interior quality is excellent

- customer service from Lexus Swindon has been very good indeed

- standard equipment is comprehensive.

Criticisms are minor. The navigation isn't as intuitive as it could be, as noted by most users. The paintwork seems very brittle and chips easily - much more so than previous marques except VW - and this has been the case with my previous Mercury Grey as well as the current Mesa Red. 

Having driven and considered many cars before going for an NX - from Subaru, Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Volvo - I'm pleased with my choice. In three to four years time I will downsize with my retirement, possibly to a smaller Lexus depending on what is available at that time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Having driven and considered many cars before going for an NX - from Subaru, Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Volvo - I'm pleased with my choice. In three to four years time I will downsize with my retirement, possibly to a smaller Lexus depending on what is available at that time. 

I'm checking out the new Lexus UX next weekend (Saturday 22 September).  I'll report back.  It looks interesting in photos but I need to see the winged rear lights in the flesh as they look a little weird.

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2018 at 9:22 AM, First_Lexus said:

Criticisms are minor. The navigation isn't as intuitive as it could be, as noted by most users. The paintwork seems very brittle and chips easily - much more so than previous marques except VW - and this has been the case with my previous Mercury Grey as well as the current Mesa Red. 

Anyone else having paint problems?

• 1 month later...

I've got mine two days before, Vortex Blue is far beautiful than i thought and i saw on pictures.
Does anyone know what are the supported file (audio, video) formats over the mp3 of course.

Thanks!

On 9/29/2018 at 8:15 PM, JeffL said:

Not really, although mine is Sonic Titanium. Mine has a few small stone chips on the bonnet and front bumper but less than I'd expect at 3 years old.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, kirby76 said:

I've got mine two days before, Vortex Blue is far beautiful than i thought and i saw on pictures.
Does anyone know what are the supported file (audio, video) formats over the mp3 of course.

Thanks!

Vortex blue? - I cannot see this colour on the Lexus website... only Azure Blue and Sky Blue...

On 11/12/2018 at 4:25 PM, DanD said:

Vortex blue? - I cannot see this colour on the Lexus website... only Azure Blue and Sky Blue...

Dan, this one: http://www.toyotareference.com/8x9_lexus_nx_15_blue_vortex_metallic_colorspan20162016

Btw, is there any idea about the following wierd thing? I've a flash drive, couple of folders in the root and further subfolders under the main folders. The NX's infotainment system displays only the subfolders, the mains are not visible and it is very annoying. I was looking for some possibility to change to view mode, but no success. 

Am i the only one who experienced this issue?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 8:15 PM, JeffL said:

^^ I wouldn't really call it a problem, it's just that both my current NX and my previous NX (different colours) seem to have very brittle paint - worse than I'd expect from a 'premium' brand and worse than most of my previous cars. The shine and finish are excellent, but prone to damage in my experience.

I've got more stone chips - on the front and lower sides - after 4K miles and 6 months than I had on either of my previous Hondas after 3 years and 40k miles. That's a bit of a disappointment, and it will make me think twice about another Lexus when the time comes to change. We'll see how it fares as time and mileage progresses further.

There are a few interior rattles starting too - more like vibrations and creaks. I'll also see whether those develop and probably get them looked at when it goes in for its first service. They are minor, but a little surprising. Granted, my driving is on mainly rural roads which are rutted and full of potholes, but I wasn't expecting such issues from a Lexus.

Minor issues perhaps, and not issues that are preventing my enjoyment of the car.

• 7 months later...

An update after 14 months and almost 10k miles with my NX.

I still really like the car. It is very comfortable and quiet - I'd describe it as a relaxing driving experience. Yes, with the eCVT, flooring the accelerator will cause the revs to rise as pointed out in so many reviews, but I have never had a situation where I've felt the need to accelerate in such an 'agricultural' manner. Maybe just me, but life is too short to drive aggressively.

The minor rattles that had started were traced to the passenger seatbelt buckle against the seat/pillar and the locking wheel nut box in the glovebox! Both easily resolved, and despite the terrible rural roads I drive on no other rattles have emerged which is impressive. Paintwork chips continue to irritate on the front bumper, but they are relatively minor.

Personally I don't have an issue with the infotainment, not that I use it much. With use it is simple enough, and the navigation has worked on the few times I've used it. Sound quality from the stereo is good too, even when streaming via Bluetooth from Spotify. Discussions with many of my peers (mainly over 45 years old) show that infotainment in cars has a couple of consistent themes. None of us like the 'i-Drive' wheel type systems, including drivers of 3 and 5 series BMWs. Most would prefer buttons or touchscreens. Also, there is a lot of focus in reviews about the functionalities of such systems, but my peer group aren't bothered about most of it. All we want is a navigation system that works and the ability to listen to music. All the other stuff is largely irrelevant and never used. 

Economy - with hardly any motorway miles - is as expected. My daily 15 mile commute on country lanes and a short section of B-Road, I guess at an average speed of 40-45mph, gives me c45mpg. Overall the computer is showing 41.4mpg over the total mileage of the car, so probably about 40mpg in reality. Good enough, and about the same as previous diesel / auto SUVs owned from VW.

I don't have any real negatives. This is a stress free car to own and drive, which is exactly what I was looking for. Service from Lexus Swindon is excellent, and the car feels very well made. Passengers often remark on how much they like the interior, how comfortable the seats are and how quiet it is. I'm fortunate that I get pretty regular access to all sorts of cars (business policy is to hire cars for business travel) and I've yet to find a comparable car that I'd rather own at this stage of my life. 

One last point. I do rather like the fact that you don't see many NXs (or indeed Lexus in general) on the roads. It wasn't something I'd really thought about when I first got the car, but as time has gone on I find the exclusivity appeals to me. Whenever I see a BMW 3-Series or an A4 I tend to think of David Brent type characters, who are likely to be regional sales managers for a photocopier company or similar...whereas with Lexus I'm of an age where I still think Partridge...😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I do like mine but it is a bit boring. I had a test drive in an Audi Sq2 and loved it. The dash is something Lexus should copy (like the indicators) boot space is a bit smaller but it's fun, the main thing missing from my NX