Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just got back from hols, which involved a 100 mile trip to airport, and back.

Had a great time in Crete, but over a few beers the good lady was saying how my car makes her feel queasy, as it seems to roll around too much for her, and she really cannot stand being chauffered around when she is in the back seat.

So on the way back from airport I was paying a little more attention to the way the car wafted along on the M42/M5, and got me to wondering is it time to replace the shock absorbers.

Having done 187K, the shocks will not be in tip-top condition, and doing the bounce test (press hard on each corner) the car seems to not rock about. I can still corner pretty hard, when called upon.

So my question is do any members have comments on how replacing shocks made their WAGs feel better, or improved handling. 

I assume replacing 4 shocks is not cheap, but would not be wanting my good lady barfing all over the inside if we do a long drive down to Cornwall at some point!!!

Will it not be cheaper to get her to sit in the front?:wink3:

Never had any issues with rear passengers in my LS which has circa 265k on the clock although not sure when the shocks were last changed but I am pretty certain it was quite a long time ago.

Yep, front seat.

If I'm driving I'm fine but if I'm a passenger, I absolutely must have a clear view out of the front window or I puke for England, so front seat is a must.

• Like 1

5 years ago I replaced mine with K something shocks. Looking back now they were a lot smaller and made the ride really harsh. Ended up replacing them again just over a year as they were knackered with good second hand ones.

If you need replacing either double check that the shocks are the problem and get used ones because if I remember shocks was really really expensive brand new.

On the bright side I bet it is your rear anti roll bars. To check this jack up the rear and see if there is play with a metal bar.  

My missus spend all her time in front seat, and my daughter (who sits in the back) says the ride is 'too wobbly'.

I will check the anti roll bars, as I think my shocks are okay, and not keen on spening money where not needed, especially if it makes the ride harsher (which given the state of our roads is something to avoid at all costs)

I have never suffered from car sickness, even if I sat in the back of a 2CV riding a sponge cake highway I am pretty sure I would be fine.

Being an import model mine has the TEMS system so the damping is adjustable between normal and sports.I think this and the 18” wheels with low profile tyres gives it the go kart handling.

New ARB bushes and drop links for my LS reduced body roll markedly and also made the suspension much more compliant. Noticeable in the back seat even more so.