Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trolley Jack Recommendation

I have need to replace my 35 year old trolley jack that I used on my LS400 without any problems. When jacking up my RX450H the jack started to leak oil, as I presume it was no rated to lift the RX.

Before I commit to a new jack, has anyone any recommendations as which one to buy? I like to have the wheels off to check brakes and under wing areas and perform any easy repairs myself.

Hi Chris, what's your budget?

As you've an RX, does it need to be high lift?

A few years back I had several smaller/high street jacks fail after a few uses when just out of warranty.  So I bit the bullet and bought a big, heavy, stable, 3 tonne, low profile, quick lift jack from SGS that's been great and gets plenty of regular use, reference https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/capacity/3-ton

For a start you won't need a low profile jack as the car sits high. Because the car is about 2 1/4 ton then a jack rated at 3 ton or more would be best. Don't forget heavy duty axle stands. Very important. 2 ton capacity should be more than good enough.

""When jacking up my RX450H the jack started to leak oil, as I presume it was no(t) rated to lift the RX""

I expect it was when new but the problem was probably.... ""my 35 year old trolley jack""!!!

Bear in mind that

A) you are not totally lifting the car "2 1/4 Ton" completely with the jack but a portion of,and

B) Any lifting device that is CE rated will have a safety factor of 4. Therefore ( when New and in good condition) a 2t jack is capable of lifting 8t before failing ( not that I am advocating exceeding the rated SWL, which you won't as you are not doing a complete lift)  so jacks in the 2t section would suffice.

paul m.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links