Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

new 2002 SC430 owner... several questions

canucklehead

I'd love to say "proud" new owner but frazzled would be better. I bought 2002 SC430 yesterday with 106K miles. Turns out to have more issues than I originally anticipated and hoping you can help me....PLEASE! ( And THANK YOU!!)

1) No AC. The AC light flashes. I tried to plug R134a add-coolant gauge tool into the low pressure line to see if any coolant needed but reading seemed high so i just stopped there. 
2) I know i need new tires and rims. My TPMS light is on. IF I buy aftermarket with sensors and the tire/wheel size is different, can they get set up to work with my car? OR...maybe just disable the TPMS altogether? Does the tire shop set up TPMS or does this have to be done at a dealer? 
3) Not looking to change anything too radical in wheel/tires. What sizes are close to stock/OEM, especially in the off set department? 
4) The "VSC" light is on for both "VSC" and "VSC OFF". I keep pushing the VSC button and it doesn't change it.
5) One of my injector wire connectors had lost tension so i was getting a sporadic miss. Where can i find a new injector wire connector.? For that matter, is there a good OEM parts Lexus dealer everyone deals with online? 
6) Front struts leak. Are there quick struts available for these? Preferred brand? (I'm cheap but practical at same time).
7) Brakes. I've read on other forums that some of the complete eBay sets that come with slotted/cross drillled rotors and ceramic pads are actually decent quality despite cheap price. Probably not keeping car long term. 
😎 Spare key. I see on eBay many sellers with transponder blanks. I would then need to get laser cut. I have also read you can program key yourself. Anyone have any expereince with this and recommend a brand of key to get? 
9) Anyone ever touch/change their diff oil?
10) Are these timing chain or timing belt? 

thanks very much for any help you can offer.

I'd love to say "proud" new owner but frazzled would be better. I bought 2002 SC430 yesterday with 106K miles. Turns out to have more issues than I originally anticipated and hoping you can help me....PLEASE! ( And THANK YOU!!)

1) No AC. The AC light flashes. I tried to plug R134a add-coolant gauge tool into the low pressure line to see if any coolant needed but reading seemed high so i just stopped there. 

2) I know i need new tires and rims. My TPMS light is on. IF I buy aftermarket with sensors and the tire/wheel size is different, can they get set up to work with my car? OR...maybe just disable the TPMS altogether? Does the tire shop set up TPMS or does this have to be done at a dealer? 

3) Not looking to change anything too radical in wheel/tires. What sizes are close to stock/OEM, especially in the off set department? 

4) The "VSC" light is on for both "VSC" and "VSC OFF". I keep pushing the VSC button and it doesn't change it.

5) One of my injector wire connectors had lost tension so i was getting a sporadic miss. Where can i find a new injector wire connector.? For that matter, is there a good OEM parts Lexus dealer everyone deals with online? 

6) Front struts leak. Are there quick struts available for these? Preferred brand? (I'm cheap but practical at same time).

7) Brakes. I've read on other forums that some of the complete ebay sets that come with slotted/cross drillled rotors and ceramic pads are actually decent quality despite cheap price. Probably not keeping car long term. 

[emoji41] Spare key. I see on ebay many sellers with transponder blanks. I would then need to get laser cut. I have also read you can program key yourself. Anyone have any expereince with this and recommend a brand of key to get? 

thanks very much for any help you can offer.

Can’t help on all questions, but....

3uzfe engine has a timing belt.

VSC error is sometimes triggered by cheap code readers. If you search the forum for a post called “2004 GS300 VSC and VSC Off light on”, there are details on how to try a reset.

Is the check engine light on? I’d get the codes read if it is.

Good luck with the car, that is a fair old list of issues.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

Regarding the AC, in the engine bay there is a fuse box, in that fuse box is a relay that should be marked mg clt or something like that, replace the relay and it should start to work. I had this issue on an sc430 I had and also on an ls400 that I have. Replacing the relay sorted it

On 6/21/2018 at 3:03 PM, canucklehead said:

TPMS can easily be disabled or you can use aftermarket sensors

19 inch is the normal upgrade. 8.5 width (245 35 19 tyres) or staggered 8.5 front and 9.5 rear

Need to get the code but it could be a wheel sensor or a worn reluctor (abs) ring. Or it may be on as the TPMS is on.

Is the engine management light on too?

I would go to local Lexus dealer. 

MeisterR coilovers are a popular upgrade

7) Brakes. I've read on other forums that some of the complete ebay sets that come with slotted/cross drillled rotors and ceramic pads are actually decent quality despite cheap price. Probably not keeping car long term.

Unless you can be sure of the quality, I would stick with OEM from Lexus. Genuine Brembo are good if you can find them at a good price. 

😎 Spare key. I see on ebay many sellers with transponder blanks. I would then need to get laser cut. I have also read you can program key yourself. Anyone have any expereince with this and recommend a brand of key to get?

Buy a blank Lexus key and second-hand transponder. It can be programmed from the car. Search on here or club Lexus and you will find the procedure.

It's rare to hear of it being changed but if it's high mileage, why not? Important to do the brake fluid too

Timing belt, change at 100k or 10 years and change the water pump, idler pulleys and tensioner at the same time.

1 minute ago, TigerFish said:

The abs light should be on if there was a sensor or ring issue I would have thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes that's a good point, it ought to be but I wouldn't let that rule out the common faults. The code needs to be read.

It could be the Yaw sensor and lots of other things but usually they appear with the CEL.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links