Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h LED Headlight change to DRL?

Hi All, I have a RX450h 2009 Premier with the LED headlights.
Does anyone know what the section marked in red is actually for?
Can this section be wired to be constantly on so as to be used as a DRL and if so what are the wiring colours that supply the LED in there?
The headlight is supp;ied by a block connector with the following wires, L/Blue, Black, White/Black, Brown, Gray
The side light is supplied separately as is the turn signal.

LEDHeadlight.jpg

Sorry, I don't know the answer but even if it's possible, you can't have the DRLs "constantly on". They must either dim or go off completely when you turn on your lights, so as to avoid dazzling other drivers at night, so you'll need to use a couple of relays to achieve this.

If you can't use the area you've highlighted, maybe it would be possible to use switchback LEDs in place of the turn signal indicators? I can't say for sure because I don't know the layout of the lights in the cluster but it may be an option. I did it on my old RX300 and they worked well in that configuration, details below (but please don't be put off by the state of the wiring. It's an easy job that doesn't take long and looks much better in its finished state :laughing: ):

"you can't have the DRLs "constantly on". They must either dim or go off completely when you turn on your lights, so as to avoid dazzling other drivers at night, so you'll need to use a couple of relays to achieve this"

The thing is that this portion of the light is actually on all the tme the low beam is on anyway so it wouldn't make a difference if it was on constantly.
What I really want to know is whay is it there at all? what is the purpose of that section? The low beam is actually the two small round projectors.

8 minutes ago, jabowsi said:

The thing is that this portion of the light is actually on all the tme the low beam is on anyway

So is it not just a sidelight then? First click of the switch puts on side, tail and number plate lights, second click puts on low beam headlamps in addition to side and tail and number plates?

No idea then my friend, very strange.

I assume it's a halogen bulb whatever it's for, so if you do change to LED DRLs then they would still have to go off when the 'normal' lights come on as outlined here

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links