Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GardX Paint and Leather Protection Controversy

Well my 'new to me' 2015 RX450h had a GardX label affixed to the windscreen. I wondered what treatment had been applied so rang them. The new Data Protection rubbish prevented them from telling me as the guarantee paperwork is in someone else's name . Then ensued a conversation where I pointed out that because of this I was prevented from buying any maintenance product from them.

After the call I had a 'lightbulb' moment. Yesterday I put my car on the 'My Lexus' phone app. Yesterday there was no service history. Today there is- well it shows that GardX was applied to the exterior and the leather when the car was new.

Now the exterior I don't give a hoot about as it will be getting a coat of 'Chemical Guys' Blacklight 'polish.

The leather is another matter. 

Do I get the GardX Leather cream to protect it (bearing in mind it was treated with it 3 years ago) or do I use Autoglym leather cream?

The cream leather looks great at the moment and When I cleaned a corner with chemical guys leather cleaner no dirt came off.

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

Well my 'new to me' 2015 RX450h had a GardX label affixed to the windscreen. I wondered what treatment had been applied so rang them. The new Data Protection rubbish prevented them from telling me as the guarantee paperwork is in someone else's name

Is the guarantee not transferable to you?

And as we know, telling you what treatment had been applied does not constitute a breach of GDPR, only if they told you the name and address of the person who had it done.

Apparently the guarantee is not transferable in any event as I bought the car from a dealer  (albeit the one that has supplied and serviced the car from new).

The guarantee  contains the details of the original purchaser so they say they can't disclose details of the treatments performed..........GDPR is being used everywhere as an excuse for poor performance it seems

• Sad 1

On 6/22/2018 at 7:40 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Apparently the guarantee is not transferable in any event as I bought the car from a dealer  (albeit the one that has supplied and serviced the car from new).

The guarantee  contains the details of the original purchaser so they say they can't disclose details of the treatments performed..........GDPR is being used everywhere as an excuse for poor performance it seems

As I understand it, GDPR is intended to stop unintended data transfer which could allow an individual to be identified without their consent. Whilst I understand the reticence of the company to disclose the details of the purchaser, their own records should list what was applied to the car - so the name of the owner at that time surely* becomes irrelevant? Sounds like a cop-out to me...and the treatment applied to my previous NX was transferrable, you just gave the certificate to the new owner as...it related to the car rather than the owner. My name wasn't on it anywhere.

Anyway, just get some decent leather cleaner and conditioner and do it yourself. I very much doubt that using the same brand as was used initially will make any difference, but again, I would have thought GardX could at least tell you that if they wanted to sell product!

*I was tempted to do a 'stop calling me Shirley' gag, but (almost) stopped myself...😆