Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Something different Gt86 Service loaner

As I mentioned yesterday the RcF has gone to Lexus Cheltenham for a service and a bit of personalisation.

They kindly gave me this to runabout in for a while and I must say I'm very impressed..........

IMG_0837.thumb.JPG.f3dd117295e6d18186d1c4bc0026732f.JPGIMG_0838.thumb.JPG.84750b106bad86caedbef71c8b496eec.JPG

I requested it about a week ago as I've never driven one before and my first impressions are wholly positive. From the outset it's obviously a drivers focused car and has clearly been designed as such from the outset. No doubt most of you have read plenty about them as they've been around for  some years now, but what I really appreciate is normally aspirated petrol rear wheel drive.

This one is a manual which most no doubt are the gearbox is great close ratios stacked together well for acceleration in any gear, bit noisy and buzzy at motorway speeds 80mph in 6th equates to 3000rpm, I understand the auto 6th is an overdrive.

Great pointy steering and the vehicle is easy to place in part to the raised front arch bumps, but like an Elise or Exige.

Engine revs out pretty well past 7000rpm albeit this one is still tight as it's only done 199 miles and naturally I'm being sympathetic........ c:whistling1:

The interior is great IMO all the tech and kit one would want with swathes of suede in all the right places, great seat  and positioning nice and low just right for a little fellow like me.

The pedal/steering to gear lever are just right and feel just right, engine produces just short of 200bhp would I want more not sure really would quite like a go in a super charged one to see.

All in all a great package chuckable car with a fairly spacious boot reliability as I understand stand it and not a bad price what's not to like 🤗

Big Rat

• Like 7

We can always get Toyota Celica nearby and do some laboratory comparison of dark matter and what not! I know which one would be nicer to drive... even though both have similar power and similar weight and both are Toyotas 🙂

I wonder what's the difference.... 

I rented one for a week during a holiday in Japan and it was a fun car, a bit like a go kart! Had to really use the revs to get any speed out of it though which is not a bad thing but the noise it made wasn't a pleasant one...The interior felt quite low rent but it might just be the version that I had because I can't recall it having any other materials apart from hard plastic...The back seats are useless  even for small children! It's a good car but I wouldn't like to use it as a daily.

• Like 1

I really wanted one of these when they were launched.

I've owned several of it's older brothers the AE86's.

But I felt it just needed more power.

I too would like to try a supercharged one.

12342666_440930259449267_5758365496102313246_n.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

We can always get Toyota Celica nearby and do some laboratory comparison of dark matter and what not! I know which one would be nicer to drive... even though both have similar power and similar weight and both are Toyotas 🙂

I wonder what's the difference.... 

The difference is hanging the tail out on a nice wet, deserted, roundabout.

These cars are so easy to learn oversteer with, they'll do it at very low speeds in the wet.

• Like 2

@Tfp Tim absolutely the guys at Lexus Cheltenham say exactly that one of them is on his fourth having alternated between running one of these and an IsF  and Rcf, the dealer principal races one and is actually collecting the launch colours cars.

They do seem to have a following, I can see why.

🐀

• Like 2

@Big RatPaul nice write up.  Have never had the pleasure of driving one, but really liked it when I sat in one at Goodwood. Nice alternative to the MX5 if your not after open top driving.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAW said:

@Big RatPaul nice write up.  Have never had the pleasure of driving one, but really liked it when I sat in one at Goodwood. Nice alternative to the MX5 if your not after open top driving.

@DAW Thanx matey if you get the chance go for it that manual gearbox thing could catch on.........🤔

🐀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

Wow, that does look very nice in an old school way.

What's the interior like?

It looks high quality in the pics.

• Like 1

@Tfp It is in lovely condition inside and out I was just trying to place where I've seen that wheel design before as well, I think it's from the Dp's collection, there were some lovely AE86's on display at the recent Toyota day at Cheltenham I think @Rusty Crobarposted up some pics of them recently 

🐀

• Like 2

Do the guys at Cheltenham have an opinion on supercharging them?

My friend in Canada is about to have his Subaru one done.

$15,000 canadian I think he said.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tfp said:

I had a friend who turbocharged his 2003 Civic Type-R. Admittedly front wheel drive so slightly different kettle of fish...but it ruined the car. He removed it in the end. 

My friend Phil has an AE86, they handle amazingly well...admittedly it’s not quite stock!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tfp said:

@Tfp Tim they most certainly do have a read of this matey ......

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/prescott-speed-hill-climb-2016_topic8983.html

Loads on YouTube as well

🐀

I had one of these for a couple of years before my IS300h. They are great cars, totally different kettle of fish to an F car, but they let you have a lot of fun at lower speeds.

It had the most comfortable seats and seating position for a stock car I've ever sat in, although that's not masses so there maybe something better out there. 

They would make a great track car, and when the prices come down low enough (my track cars have to be disposable.....just in case :whistling: ) I may chop in the MR2 and get another one.

I still have my personalised registration on retention GT06 BYE...... You can guess where the screw head goes. :wink3:

• Like 1