Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Something different Gt86 Service loaner

13 hours ago, DAW said:

@Big RatPaul nice write up.  Have never had the pleasure of driving one, but really liked it when I sat in one at Goodwood. Nice alternative to the MX5 if your not after open top driving.

I’d long been looking for a replacement for my S2000 before deciding to keep it. The GT86/BRZ seemed to tick almost all the boxes, but I think the lack of open top motoring was the deal breaker for me, as well as the dire engine noise. Great looking and handling cars though. It was fantastic to follow Toyota/Subaru developing a car for people who enjoy driving, and a real shame they never proved as popular as anyone hoped.

• Like 2

Toyed with the idea of getting one of these when they first came out as an alternative to a hot hatch.

Drove great and I think they look fantastic, great driving position, controls all perfect. But it was a combination of lack of rear seats, just a bit too slow in a straight line (a 320d would pull away from one which is slightly depressing for a sports car) and the cheapness of the dash (hard plastics and entertainment system looking about 10 years out of date) that pushed me elsewhere in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfunex said:

replacement for my S2000 before deciding to keep it.

S2000 is quite hard to replace, even thought it is Honda.. it seems to have ticked all the right boxes there are to tick, back in the day literally pushing boundaries beyond believing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrfunex said:

I’d long been looking for a replacement for my S2000 before deciding to keep it. The GT86/BRZ seemed to tick almost all the boxes, but I think the lack of open top motoring was the deal breaker for me, as well as the dire engine noise. Great looking and handling cars though. It was fantastic to follow Toyota/Subaru developing a car for people who enjoy driving, and a real shame they never proved as popular as anyone hoped.

They produced an open topped prototype which I saw at Goodwood in a metallic white & it really was a great looking car - shame they decided not to produce it as I think they missed a trick with that.

• Like 1

I think they wanted to make modern version of AE86, sort of nostalgia thing... and I guess they succeeded in that sense (something Celica spectacularly failed to do because of FWD). It was mean to be cheap, agile, sporty coupe which makes perfect base for variety car racing events like slaloms, drifts etc. That they achieved with ease.. it is light, easy to maintain, cheap, fun to drive, easy to master etc.

I don't think they missed the trick by not making convertible, quite opposite they focused on something and kind of perfected it for specific purpose. There is huge cultural revival of affordable coupes racing, load of even and great advertisement for the brand, great customer introduction as well as mostly they attract young owners, who later progress up the ladder either like Toyota Supra or Lexus way.

Exactly - looked particularly good from the back as well.  A nice alternative to the MX5 & got a lot of interest at Goodwood apparently.

As I said can’t help thinking they missed a trick from a sales perspective - especially as the uk likes convertible’s so much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C.B said:

Did you see the drop top version though? What a fantastic looking machine

http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/13048/toyota-ft-86-open-concept-previews-gt86-cabriolet

Actually, I never thought it would look that good. I know Mazda MX5 is considered one of the best buys for fun roadster, but frankly I am not big fan of how the latest iteration looks like., whereas GT86 looks brilliant!

Now what I said above - I still think Toyota has not missed anything and GT86 works perfectly for what I was meant to be, however I never said the should not make the convertible of it. Would that make financial sense for them maintaining 2 models instead of one? I am not sure... but I would choose GT86 convertible over Mazda MX5 any day... just purely on looks, at the same time GT86 performs just as well if not better.

• Like 1

It definitely looks great, but would a topless one be as fun to drive with added chassis flex and/or extra weight because of the missing roof?

Evo's insistence that I disable my adblocker (even after I disabled it) meant I googled elsewhere to see pictures of the FT-86 Open Concept, and whatever site I ended up clicking on was for an old story, but it mentioned that this was the given reason why it probably wouldn't enter production.

Anyway, if nothing else, I found this topic educational - I always assumed these things were turbocharged because of the Subaru joint-venture and "boxer" engine. I had no idea they were actually N/A... 😎

• Like 1

bought my son one at the start of the year - as his mum said he needed a new car.......

absolutely brilliant to drive, very focussed, as others have said pointy steering, great gearbox and predictable handling.

one of the wits from evo mag once described it as "the slowest fast car you can buy" - very true

great piece of kit.

and still haven't fired on a gsf.

• Like 1

Hi great to read the feedback on this car, my 'other car' is a MX5 retractable top ( my second) but I to am not a fan of the new model and I am looking at the Toyota as a replacement .I would miss the fresh air but my IS250 is a convertible so I appreciate your comments

Dave

• Like 1