Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing camera on is300h

How easy (or difficult) is it to fit a reversing camera to a 300h ?  Which shows on the main screen.

Would I be correct in assuming the wiring might already be there ?

11 hours ago, Hadrian said:

How easy (or difficult) is it to fit a reversing camera to a 300h ?  Which shows on the main screen.

Apparently quite easy.

Lexus dealers can do this for you. They stick the original camera on and have it feeding through the nav system. Or you can also go aftermarket, though you wont get turning guidelines

On 6/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, rayaans said:

Apparently quite easy.

Lexus dealers can do this for you. They stick the original camera on and have it feeding through the nav system. Or you can also go aftermarket, though you wont get turning guidelines

My local Lexus service centre say a reversing camera isn't available as an optional extra for my car 😞

3 hours ago, Hadrian said:

My local Lexus service centre say a reversing camera isn't available as an optional extra for my car 😞

Thats odd. When I was looking for an IS, Lexus Sicup had one without premium nav and said that it could be fitted and they would do it if I bought the car from them

59 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Thats odd. When I was looking for an IS, Lexus Sicup had one without premium nav and said that it could be fitted and they would do it if I bought the car from them

this just highlights the differences in knowledge between dealerships

similar issue with retro fitting CC on a CT some dealers say yes and some say no

with yes being the right answer as it can be done easily.

I will ask again, but  It may be something peculiar to my particular model, as there are a couple of things missing on it..

No auto folding mirrors, no voice regognition....... no reversing camera.

I enquired at a local emporium as to whether it could be done. They get kits from an American company, and do one for the is300h, subject to checking vin.

The kit is in the region of £450, fitted comes out at £560 !!!...This would give the guiding lines on the screen.....It's a lorra lorra money.

Still waiting for Lexus UK to get back to me.

if you feel £560 is expensive then make sure your sitting down when lexus give you a price

when i had my CT i priced up an auto dimming rear view mirror it was £660 for the part.

why dont you try a breaker for the camera and see if you can get the wiring aswell

here is a link for a breaker with an is300h

https://www.car-transplants.co.uk/parts-breaking/details/lexus-is-hybrid-2013-to-2016-steering-rack-or-box-pas/1/1280877

On 6/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, 200h said:

this just highlights the differences in knowledge between dealerships

similar issue with retro fitting CC on a CT some dealers say yes and some say no

with yes being the right answer as it can be done easily.

Officially it isn't a option provided by Lexus GB. Some dealers know that you can order spare parts and fit them, some either don't know or aren't willing to do so.

On 6/28/2018 at 7:26 PM, 200h said:

Interesting to see the picture of the accident-damaged IS and to see how the air bags come out, particularly along the side, which I don't think I've seen before. You can also see the pop-up hood lifters deployed in the picture of the engine compartment with the bonnet raised.

I have contacted Lexus Customer Relations twice, and am disappointed that they are unwilling to answer the questions asked.

They have told me that reversing cameras are not available as a Lexus optional extra for my is300h, which is fair enough.

When asked if it is possible to fit a camera, they just came back with the same answer, that it's not something Lexus will do.

So I still don't know if it's possible or not.  I shall have to get back to my local audio visual dealer.

Latest in this saga.

I went to my local service centre and managed to speak to someone who knew what he was talking about.

Although cameras are fitted to the newer models of is300h,  to try and fit one to mine would mean a big job, which would be economically prohibitive,

as so much would need to be changed.  So I guess the independent dealer wouldn't be able to do it either.

20 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Although cameras are fitted to the newer models of is300h...

At 2015 yours is hardly an old car.

There was a reversing camera with guidelines in my 2005 RX300 and I thought Lexus, being the luxury brand it is, would just fit these things as standard to ALL their cars.

Have you had the trim panel off to check if wiring is there but unused, or not there at all? Even if no wiring exists, I would imagine that if the head unit has an input for video, you may be able to run some cable and make use of a cheap Chinese camera at about ten quid as per this topic:

i would use the AUX in the centre console and connect a camera to this input

this way you can still use the head unit screen

i would buy something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rover-Universal-Car-Reversing-Backup-Camera-Parking-Assiatance-Waterproof/183208829649?epid=1581820809&hash=item2aa818e2d1:g:tSwAAOSw~Nta7Bhu

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-3-RCA-Female-Audio-Video-Connector-to-3-5mm-Jack-Plug-Adapter-Cable-M9N3/223004307479?epid=1069173746&hash=item33ec17b017:g:I3gAAOSwJdBbFLXe

in the blank panel in the boot door drill door a hole for the camera and route the cables through to the centre console AUX input.

Another alternative is to go and pop into a local independent car audio centre who would be able to fit an aftermarket camera to the existing set. Depends where in Essex you are there is Car Audio Centre in Ilford, or my personal go to shop is Dynamic Sounds in in SW18.

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2018 at 3:58 PM, Hadrian said:

Latest in this saga.

I went to my local service centre and managed to speak to someone who knew what he was talking about.

Although cameras are fitted to the newer models of is300h,  to try and fit one to mine would mean a big job, which would be economically prohibitive,

as so much would need to be changed.  So I guess the independent dealer wouldn't be able to do it either.

Understand yours is a 2015 car?  FWIW, my May 2015 reg Advance spec IS300h had a reversing camera.....

my old 63 plate Is300h had a reverse camera fitted so its not an age issue

i think its more of a model issue and what bits & pieces its wired up for

in the factory

Yes I think that's the case.  Mine seems to be the basic Executive edition.

As I mentioned previously, the chap in the service centre explained that to fit the Lexus camera, would mean pulling the car to pieces.

With the new wiring loom alone costing something like £1500.

here is a system i fitted on an aygo a few years ago this is just to show what you can get for £35

http://s566.photobucket.com/user/parkside2002/media/aygo/2014-07-05221312_zpsc73b7a15.jpg.html

http://s566.photobucket.com/user/parkside2002/media/aygo/reversingcamera_zps92d76f70.mp4.html

i fitted the camera under the bumper from the back it was hardly noticeable.

• 3 months later...
On 6/25/2018 at 10:41 PM, Hadrian said:

Hi Hadrian, did you manged to retrofit reversing camera or any of you? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links