Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well that time of year again  and although I have no need , I always view this time with anguish. Well glad to report flew through again, no advisories, for the 4th time on the trot. 92000 miles now and took the opportunity to look underneath, and all looking good. My only concern after reading the threads on here was the LCA, so I asked him to check and they were absolutely fine.

Roll on next year, cheers, Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

Well that time of year again  and although I have no need , I always view this time with anguish. Well glad to report flew through again, no advisories, for the 4th time on the trot. 92000 miles now and took the opportunity to look underneath, and all looking good. My only concern after reading the threads on here was the LCA, so I asked him to check and they were absolutely fine.

Roll on next year, cheers, Roger

Good news again Roger.Well done.

• Thanks 1

Have faith in your motor at MOT time it's a Lexus not a Lada!!!!! And probably a sight for sore eyes for the tester!!

paul m.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Texas said:

And probably a sight for sore eyes for the tester!!

MOT testers always amazed that my 18 year old LS looks pretty solid and no leaks. 

But I always worry they will pick up on something.

The thing to remember is the Japanese MOT is so strict, that any car made for (and in) Japan is going to be a darn sight more robust than your average detroit dustbin, or euro-box.

Just got back from Crete, I assume the Greek MOT standard is 'Does the car have a wheel in each corner, if answer YES, then Pass MOT'☠️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Texas said:

Have faith in your motor at MOT time it's a Lexus not a Lada!!!!! And probably a sight for sore eyes for the tester!!

paul m.

Hi Paul , whilst I do agree with you, remember we are talking about a 16 year old car!!  Roger

Great news and great cars,  Norman. I was comparing against other cars. I do know they are brilliant, on my 3rd Lexus and circa 300,000 miles over the years. Cheers, Roger 

In all fairness weather its a Lexus or not has no effect on the MOT.

Tyres/ Brake pads/ Discs/ Suspension/ bushes - Those are the main aspects of MOT, they can wear out on any car lexus or not. Its just down to the owner.

Engine and gearbox is not checked under mot where being a lexus would come into play 🙂 

Well done - agree it can be a worrying time - as others have said, it's easy to dismiss the age of our cars - many other marques would have been scrapped many years/miles earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

Delighted to add that my Car passed the MOT today.  Early trip out to get the car warmed up before delivery (in this weather!) and the Speedo decided not to move from zero. Doh! 

Couple that with the fact that after having spent must be three hours during the week (not to mention my Son and I last week spending an hour) trying to get the rear seat cushion to lock in , with only one side success (I just can't understand how this can be done on the production line in seconds??)  I thought today would not be a good day for me. Covered the offending side with Car rug which I do use to prevent the Sun on the rear head rests at this time of the year.

Advisories - yellow (and their cost to be serviced- Ford main dealer) 

Remote fob batteries £15 (only just replaced them and must aim at boot - daylight robbery)

Air conditioning Sanitiser £20 whatever that is??

Air conditioning Service and repair £89.95 (it was working fine when I delivered the Car - cool as a cucumber - and on way home -making work for themselves??)

Brake fluid change every second service £39.95.  Was done when brake pipe work done two years ago)

So, no thanks to those unnecessary Yellows - but must deal with that ECU.  Any time now

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 10:52 PM, RgrWynne said:

Lower control arm, part of front suspension, it is the rubber bushes that fail

It was one of the control arms on mine that made me decide to scrap it, probably the lower.

There were other corrosion issues & I could see it would be just a spend, spend, spend trip from then on, so, I opted for more trouble free motoring years  by getting another and carrying on maintaining 'my enjoyment factor' instead of bushes & suspension bits etc, etc..............I'm an owner driver not a martyr of a machine...........................'perspective judged & passed'.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Advisories - yellow

are these specific to the MOT test then ?  I can't see them mentioned anywhere 

or are they just something your MOT test station has dreamt up :rolleyes:

Am I missing something here ?

Thanks

Malc

No they are not specific to MOT but they/mechanic might only notice them on an MOT type inspection, it is not mandatory for an MOT tester to write any advisories on an MOT.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

are these specific to the MOT test then ?  I can't see them mentioned anywhere 

or are they just something your MOT test station has dreamt up :rolleyes:

Am I missing something here ?

Thanks

Malc

The document is headed Ford eCheck and I suppose its what the examiner has to tiock off as to having been examined. Columns in red, yellow and green. Key being Red requires attention, Yellow Advisory, and Green Visually OK. The few mentioned were in yellow.

The exhaust emissions test results they haven't given me in the past, (and I've not asked for them but taken the Test Cert and ran! but this is headed Bradbury MOT test results. It failed on Fast Idle Speed but passed on Second Fast Idle Speed and Natural Idle Test.

So, a relief and those cheapy UCA's with sourced replaced rubber shrouds seem to have lasted at least two years so far.

5 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Columns in red, yellow and green

when in the past the Honda main dealer serviced the Honda Legend they had these markings for various components at the service

Nothing to do with the MOT though and they never pretended them to be either ! .............  just about service items for the car generally

Seems to me that the MOT testing station, your service people, are maybe trying to pull the wool over people's eyes in pretending / insinuating that certain components are MOT related when clearly they are not.

Is this a loosening of the MOT standards now enabling less scrupulous people to seek out more business .....  hafrauds rings a bell here from the past

Malc

Its a Ford dealreship only about a mile from me. Nearest Lexus is in Ipswich 8 miles if a Crow, but 26 by Car.

Front office just handed me the papers and asked for £54.95. no mention of suggesting the "advisories" be done. 

Checked DVLA and it just says Pass - no advisories mentioned.

Servicing I'd think is secondary to selling new Cars, so doubt they are touting for repair work in earnest. 

Not sure if MOT price has risen or is set by Gov't. Seems a bit higher , but more work needed in test. Happy with outcome.

Bloody hell £54.85 for an MOT! Even Lexus charge me £27 - half price with a service plan

Everywhere else seems to do it for £30-35. Must be paying "down south" money you guys!

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Bloody hell £54.85 for an MOT! Even Lexus charge me £27 - half price with a service plan

Everywhere else seems to do it for £30-35. Must be paying "down south" money you guys!

I normally get mine done at Lexus, that way if there is an issue they can sort it out straight away under warranty. They always charge the maximum they are allowed to though - same at the Toyota dealer too. No money off or great service from southern dealerships - they have more customers than they can deal with to care 😒