Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So my 1998 is now officially my daily, and I am ticking along with jobs I am confident with (brakes etc). But the main issue concerns the nav unit and I am surprised at how little there is on this on forums etc...

Basically I have working ac and buttons, but a screen that won't turn on and no audio. I presume the lack of screen also limits ac options.

I know I could replace the nav unit for £200+ and hope it fixes the audio, but seems steep for ancient kit.

I know I can source a separate a.c. Controller from a non nav car and install a double din system..but this is also costly and I presume complicated in terms of getting everything working together.

What I have never seen anything on is replacing only the single din audio with aftermarket so I can get my tunes (radio 4) up and running. I would be happy for ac to only work on auto and to live without the nav. Obviously I can pick up a cheap head unit for almost nothing. Is this something that can be done? Or is the audio inextricably linked to the nav in some way?

Cheers

The cost of replacing the head unit complete from Lexus is £5000 +vat , I got one on eBay as soon as I bought my 98 model as I saw this a major component due to its multi roll in the scheme of the electronics.

It would be better to source a replacement unit from a breaker and you are about right on your estimate,the messing about trying to sort out the alternative scenarios you describe are onerous and likely to be a nightmare in execution.

The code for the radio is likely to be an issue if you acquire a breaker replacement but there is a switch dance that reverts the unit back to factory settings.

Have you checked the associated fuses? There are 3, Radio No1 (20A located in engine bay fuse box),Radio No2 (15A under dash fuse box) and Dome (10A engine bay fuse box)any of these would affect the display and audio system if blown. The first 2 also supply power to the CD changer so if that is also not working check the fuses.The fuse box covers normally have a list of the fuses and positions attached to them.

I checked the two fuses...plus all other obvious ones whilst I was at it. I will go back for the third on case I missed it.

In terms of a breaker unit it is £200, but in that price range aftermarket does become appealing...my worry is that I buy one and that wasn't the issue.

I guess what I am wondering is whether or not I can just replace the single din audio, and why there is literally nothing on this anywhere.