Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h

A-Rod

Hey guys... funny thing is that I used to be a member on this forums from 2012 until 2015 but for the sake of it I simply cannot remember my login details (boooo!!).

I had a 2005 IS200 SE with all available options - here is the picture if anyone can remember me. I have sold the car around 2015 and got a newer face lift e60 520d m sport as needed to commute crazy miles. I'm now covering around 80 miles a day, 95% M1 and A roads. I'm tired of my BMW and in my ownership I had a turbo replaced, glow plugs and glow plug controller, pulleys and aux belts, software updates and so on; therefore it goes without saying that the myth behind German car reliability is indeed a myth. My friends had a few 5 series and 3 series diesel and there was always at least one major fault with them.

I'm now in the market for a GS450h, one particular model caught my eye, being 2007 with 87k miles and full history. This is how the car comes in the advert and also if I key its reg plate to check history: Lexus GS Saloon 450h 3.5 4DR CVT AUTO [LEATHER PACK].

I know that I'd be lucky to get 40mpg on motorways but I don't care and when you buy this type of a car, the fuel efficiency should be the last thing on your mind (IS200 experience here).

I thought these models were either SE or SE-L? What is that leather pack (couldn't find much info about it on forums)? Is this a different trim level?

b99f97b9a990d5612e6c185e9760fe4c.jpg&key=e9cb638293abe217f626d889ab08dfa2a224968c5be21893ec982564f2efea18

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is the interior. I mean, leather is leather and is standard on all GS cars (?). Unless this is a different type of leather?dfe1c80ed51e345507df76f0824649ce.jpgd618465f81456e4b1c6b82e43afd7e0c.jpg

That's exactly the same as my leather with ventilated front seats. In fact it's the same as the two I looked at before I bought mine, including a GS430.

Hi Den the GS450H is a brilliant piece of engineering. However it does have a few weak spots. When buying check the following:

• Seized calipers - expecially rear ones.
  • Rusted exhaust back boxes.
  • Leaking Shock Absorbers - Lexus is the only supplier for replacements.
  • Creaking dash.
  • alloys needing a refubish - this can be slightly tricky as you have to remove the chrome plastic inserts which can break and newones are only available from Lexus.
  • Headlight bulb flickering or going out after a while - Remedy is to swap the bulbs over or replace them.
  • Rust on the leading edge of the bonnet.
  • Faulty TPMS Valves
  • At higher mileages there is a risk of Gearbox oil pump packing - this can be a cheap fix if you follow the advice on this forum - Lexus will sell you a new gearbox
  • HYBRID BATTERY: A health check is available from Lexus for vehicles under 10 years and 140k miles - this guarantees the Hybrid Battery for 12 Months. If you can't get the health check and have Battery problems: it is normally 1 or 2 cells which are low - these can be replaced and the Battery reconditioned for around £800. A member on here Richard is recommended.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, A-Rod said:

I thought these models were either SE or SE-L? What is that leather pack (couldn't find much info about it on forums)? Is this a different trim level?

The GS 450h had 4 trim levels. Base, SE, SE-L and Sport, SE-L being the top spec.

The spec sheets below apply to the 2008 facelift model. The equipment levels on each trim level were downgraded slightly compared to the 2006 and 2007 model year cars but they still remain well equipped. A few examples are the rear lip spoiler and cooled (ventilated) seats feature are standard fitment on the original SE spec but were deleted from the facelift model, and on SE-L spec the PCS/ACC and electric sunroof were fitted as standard on the '06 and '07 cars but became an optional extra on the facelift model. You can tell a facelift model as the side indicators were moved from the wings and into the side mirrors.

2.thumb.jpg.f26c1fb284da7b8761cf9da82a87276c.jpg.f4d56035cbf33540e3814dcfef81cdd2.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.876277ef8d2308016960d70065132a66.jpg.0271094db67027ca50536e3ee2ee0127.jpg

There are a few recent threads on this forum about what to look for when buying a 450h so have a read through them and good luck with your search.

• Like 2

Hi Den the GS450H is a brilliant piece of engineering. However it does have a few weak spots. When buying check the following:
  • Seized calipers - expecially rear ones.
  • Rusted exhaust back boxes.
  • Leaking Shock Absorbers - Lexus is the only supplier for replacements.
  • Creaking dash.
  • Alloys needing a refubish - this can be slightly tricky as you have to remove the chrome plastic inserts which can break and newones are only available from Lexus.
  • Headlight bulb flickering or going out after a while - Remedy is to swap the bulbs over or replace them.
  • Rust on the leading edge of the bonnet.
  • Faulty TPMS Valves
  • At higher mileages there is a risk of Gearbox oil pump packing - this can be a cheap fix if you follow the advice on this forum - Lexus will sell you a new gearbox
  • HYBRID BATTERY: A health check is available from Lexus for vehicles under 10 years and 140k miles - this guarantees the Hybrid Battery for 12 Months. If you can't get the health check and have battery problems: it is normally 1 or 2 cells which are low - these can be replaced and the battery reconditioned for around £800. A member on here Richard is recommended.
Hope this helps
That's excellent advice, thank you.

• Like 1

The GS 450h had 4 trim levels. Base, SE, SE-L and Sport, SE-L being the top spec.
The spec sheets below apply to the 2008 facelift model. The equipment levels on each trim level were downgraded slightly compared to the 2006 and 2007 model year cars but they still remain well equipped. A few examples are the rear lip spoiler and cooled (ventilated) seats feature are standard fitment on the original SE spec but were deleted from the facelift model, and on SE-L spec the PCS/ACC and electric sunroof were fitted as standard on the '06 and '07 cars but became an optional extra on the facelift model. You can tell a facelift model as the side indicators were moved from the wings and into the side mirrors.

2.thumb.jpg.f26c1fb284da7b8761cf9da82a87276c.jpg.f4d56035cbf33540e3814dcfef81cdd2.jpg
3.thumb.jpg.876277ef8d2308016960d70065132a66.jpg.0271094db67027ca50536e3ee2ee0127.jpg
There are a few recent threads on this forum about what to look for when buying a 450h so have a read through them and good luck with your search.
Thank you! This explains a lot of things, such as the fact that the car I like is the base model, which unfortunate I will now avoid as I want pretty much every toy available.

My current 5 series that I'm planning on getting rid of has live traffic satnav (2017 maps), Bluetooth, front and rear sensors with camera, Xenon adaptive lights, bmw assistance and BMW online (in car WiFi), cruise control with lane departure and auto brake... you get the picture, I want the same or better. Therefore I think SE-L is probably what I will need to focus on.

3 hours ago, A-Rod said:

I'm now in the market for a GS450h, one particular model caught my eye, being 2007 with 87k miles and full history. This is how the car comes in the advert and also if I key its reg plate to check history: Lexus GS Saloon 450h 3.5 4DR CVT AUTO [LEATHER PACK].

I know that I'd be lucky to get 40mpg on motorways but I don't care and when you buy this type of a car, the fuel efficiency should be the last thing on your mind (IS200 experience here).

b99f97b9a990d5612e6c185e9760fe4c.jpg&key=e9cb638293abe217f626d889ab08dfa2a224968c5be21893ec982564f2efea18

Den,

My 2007 450h does not look like that!. Could that be an IS? Even a 2005 model?

John

If you want the same amount of technology as your BMW you may be a tad disappointed in a gen 3 GS (assuming that's what you're considering)

I was under the impression that a 3rd gen GS would offer similar or even better spec than my 5 series, which was produced between 2007-2009. I have seen reviews and read on forums + the option list shown above for the SE-L is somewhat impressive. Not only that, the GS450h is mighty fast and very economical for its size. My car get 0-60 in 8.2 and returns 50mpg. I can live with 30-40mpg and a low 5 sec 0-60 lol. 

For example, my 5 series doesn't have ventilated air cooled seats, nor are the seats as comfy as on the GS; my car doesn't have a sunroof, no dual zone climate control, no memory seats, it's not an automatic (believe me, my left leg is as big as Arnold's, considering the traffic I get stuck at on M25 and M1); also, if you've not sat in an M Sport then believe me, I feel every single stone and uneven road, which is amazing on A roads and B roads. But I'm tired of it. I want a bit of class now. I want to relax and feel comfortable. I'm most definitely intending to avoid diesel cars because of constant issues, such as DPF and EGR, oil leaks (N47 engine is notorious for this), turbo faults (on my third turbo now), etc.

I don't think I can currently afford a 4th gen GS.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Den,

My 2007 450h does not look like that!. Could that be an IS? Even a 2005 model?

John

Hi John - the picture of  is of the OP Lexus which they used to own as mentioned in the first line of the second paragraph

11 hours ago, A-Rod said:

I was under the impression that a 3rd gen GS would offer similar or even better spec than my 5 series, which was produced between 2007-2009. I have seen reviews and read on forums + the option list shown above for the SE-L is somewhat impressive. Not only that, the GS450h is mighty fast and very economical for its size. My car get 0-60 in 8.2 and returns 50mpg. I can live with 30-40mpg and a low 5 sec 0-60 lol. 

For example, my 5 series doesn't have ventilated air cooled seats, nor are the seats as comfy as on the GS; my car doesn't have a sunroof, no dual zone climate control, no memory seats, it's not an automatic (believe me, my left leg is as big as Arnold's, considering the traffic I get stuck at on M25 and M1); also, if you've not sat in an M Sport then believe me, I feel every single stone and uneven road, which is amazing on A roads and B roads. But I'm tired of it. I want a bit of class now. I want to relax and feel comfortable. I'm most definitely intending to avoid diesel cars because of constant issues, such as DPF and EGR, oil leaks (N47 engine is notorious for this), turbo faults (on my third turbo now), etc.

Hi Den

We have a 520d m sport in the family and it has about 12k of extras - for me its just nice to look at lol - It doesnt sound nice, ride is too firm and I get a numb bum everytime I go in for more than 30 mins. Prefer my LS430 everytime.

We have a 335d also - its nice than the 520d - very quick - but couldnt have at as an everyday car and I cant give it the same respect as my 430

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A-Rod said:

I think the spec on both is high but different. By that I mean (as far as I'm aware) the Lexus doesn't have lane departure and live traffic sat nav, in fact the Lexus sat nav is pretty poor really, and I find the Bluetooth iffy.  Even so, I would choose the GS over a BMW any day.  In May we did a European road trip of just under 2,500 miles and it was supremely comfortable and a real pleasure to drive, you won't be disappointed.  And by all accounts in a GS450h you'll leave most others standing!  

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Against a 5 series of similar age the Lexus will be better spec'd unless all the options were selected on the BMW.

I don't agree it is "better" spec'd when OP states his current car has live traffic satnav (2017 maps), in car WiFi, lane departure and auto brake. As far as I am aware these weren't even options on The Mk3 GS 450h. As Phil says above they are both high spec but different. Also need to be aware when looking about the change in standard equipment I mentioned above between the spec on the original launch cars and the 2008 facelift models.

The BMW spec will be better because it is 8 years younger than the Lexus.

Lexus were ahead of their game in 2004 when they had touch screen controls, reverse cameras and keyless entry and start in their vehicles as standard. These features are mainly found in Luxury vehicles of today and even then it is an extra.

The BMW spec will be better because it is 8 years younger than the Lexus.
Lexus were ahead of their game in 2004 when they had touch screen controls, reverse cameras and keyless entry and start in their vehicles as standard. These features are mainly found in Luxury vehicles of today and even then it is an extra.
My 5 series is from 2007 too therefore it's the same age, but does have somewhat better, or shall I say, newer tech (to an extent) which I'm ok to say goodbye to in order to get other equipment, such as cooled memory leather seats, sunroof for example. Also the idea of a fast hybrid strikes me more than owning a diesel. I also have to balance the reliability issues and to be fair, my BMW and nearly 7 out of 10 N47 engines are a nightmare to deal with. I've owned an IS200 and the only thing I've changed was oil, discs, called and pads. No faults whatsoever! Lexus for you and this is why I'm thinking of returning to this brand.

I think the spec on both is high but different. By that I mean (as far as I'm aware) the Lexus doesn't have lane departure and live traffic sat nav, in fact the Lexus sat nav is pretty poor really, and I find the Bluetooth iffy.  Even so, I would choose the GS over a BMW any day.  In May we did a European road trip of just under 2,500 miles and it was supremely comfortable and a real pleasure to drive, you won't be disappointed.  And by all accounts in a GS450h you'll leave most others standing!  
I don't think I could manage a 2500 trip with my super firm suspension on the M Sport. To be fair, throughout my ownership the lane departure has only been used once when I was going 70mph on motorway on cruise and tried to get a CD out of the drivers side door bin - that's it. The brake function is nice to have as it detects bends and brakes for you so that you don't enter a bend at 70mph while on cruise control, however I barely use cruise control due to immense traffic on motorways these days.

The SE trim of the same 5 series I own is much more softer and executive like, however it looks ugly with standard body kit if you compare it to my 5 series with beautiful M Aerodynamic kit. I do love the body of the GS MK3 as it looks the part. I also love the fact that it is more reliable than my BMW, less complex in terms of engine, no turbo, no EGR and other diesel bits that constantly fail.

I think I've made my mind up to go for the GS. My understanding is that a GS430 is a 4.3 litre V8? Or is that only in the USA?

3 minutes ago, A-Rod said:

My understanding is that a GS430 is a 4.3 litre V8? Or is that only in the USA?

You are correct. It is a 4.3 litre V8 and not just in the USA.

1 hour ago, A-Rod said:

I don't think I could manage a 2500 trip with my super firm suspension on the M Sport. To be fair, throughout my ownership the lane departure has only been used once when I was going 70mph on motorway on cruise and tried to get a CD out of the drivers side door bin - that's it. The brake function is nice to have as it detects bends and brakes for you so that you don't enter a bend at 70mph while on cruise control, however I barely use cruise control due to immense traffic on motorways these days.

The SE trim of the same 5 series I own is much more softer and executive like, however it looks ugly with standard body kit if you compare it to my 5 series with beautiful M Aerodynamic kit. I do love the body of the GS MK3 as it looks the part. I also love the fact that it is more reliable than my BMW, less complex in terms of engine, no turbo, no EGR and other diesel bits that constantly fail.

I think I've made my mind up to go for the GS. My understanding is that a GS430 is a 4.3 litre V8? Or is that only in the USA?

I think the MK3 GS is still a great looking car in 2018.  I did take a GS430 for a test drive, especially after having the same engine in my LS, but in all honesty I didn't feel it really suited the car, even though it's a superb engine.  0-60 in around 7 seconds is plenty fast enough for me.

I think the MK3 GS is still a great looking car in 2018.  I did take a GS430 for a test drive, especially after having the same engine in my LS, but in all honesty I didn't feel it really suited the car, even though it's a superb engine.  0-60 in around 7 seconds is plenty fast enough for me.

Do you mind sharing why you thought that this particular engine wasn't right for GS430?

I'll tell you the truth, I didn't feel (and most on this forum said the same back when I owned the car) that the IS200 had the right engine in it. It certainly didn't work well in my opinion, 2 litres, 6 cylinder and 24 valves that produced 155bhp. It was very gutless and even when red lined, there was no power but noise. However everything else about the car was superb! I know that you could get the beams upgraded car, or an Altezza I think, that had 211bhp with a supercharger - that is a big difference. Also the 3 litre version (IS300) was a much better choice but rare as anything!

43 minutes ago, A-Rod said:

Do you mind sharing why you thought that this particular engine wasn't right for GS430?

I'll tell you the truth, I didn't feel (and most on this forum said the same back when I owned the car) that the IS200 had the right engine in it. It certainly didn't work well in my opinion, 2 litres, 6 cylinder and 24 valves that produced 155bhp. It was very gutless and even when red lined, there was no power but noise. However everything else about the car was superb! I know that you could get the beams upgraded car, or an Altezza I think, that had 211bhp with a supercharger - that is a big difference. Also the 3 litre version (IS300) was a much better choice but rare as anything!

The fuel economy suffers greatly compared to the 300 or 450h, and I just didn't feel that the acceleration was particularly remarkable for a V8, and I did give it a spanking!  I guess you would have to drive one to understand.  To me the GS300 is just right with around 245bhp.  It's a very sprightly car with plenty of power when needed.  Also the V8 has a cam belt whereas the others have a chain.

Den,

Please ignore my previous stupid reply - I had not read your original post properly.

cruisermark's list is very good summary. Bear in mind you are looking at an 11 year old car. HID lamps have a finite life and do dim with age. Replacements range from very low cost to £70. I have yet to see a comparison of light output differences. The little batteries inside the TPMS valves have a finite life too but they can be replaced for much less than complete new valves.

The power is great but the very comfortable seats are not designed for rapid cornering.

A luxury cruiser rather than a boy racer. On the other hand it could probably see off lots of boy racers if it could be bothered.

Hope you find a good one and enjoy it.

John 

I have only had my 2005 GS300 for 6 weeks and its my first Lexus, It has only done 67k with full Lexus Guildford service history and paid £3850 for it. I got rid of a 2012 Mondeo Estate tdci 163hp mainly because the Powershift gearbox was starting to play up and was quoted £2000 just for a new dmf and clutch! A Lexus has always been on my bucket list it just so happens that the one I bought came up at the right time. I still cant believe how good it is especially considering its 13 years old and it takes levels of comfort and luxury to a new level although I have had a lot of grief from BMW owning friends telling me its a grandads car (which I am)! I have replaced all 4 tpms sensors as none of them were working and they were badly corroded at a cost of £280 including fitting and programming to the car fitted by Etyres who certainly knew is stuff and I also replaced both hid headlight bulbs which were £30 for the pair from eBay. Lexus Swindon had the car in this week to do a recall for a fuel pressure sensor and gave me a CT200H  with 4k miles on it which felt awful compared to my GS. I actually look forward to driving again now which is something I haven't done for years and also have to look back at it after I have parked up! I know its not everyone's cup of tea but for me its everything I have been looking for in a car and its actually not that bad on fuel with the computer showing 40.04mpg on the drive down the motorway to Swindon this week driving between 65-70mph.

1526824273317.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Richiano said:

I have only had my 2005 GS300 for 6 weeks and its my first Lexus, It has only done 67k with full Lexus Guildford service history and paid £3850 for it. I got rid of a 2012 Mondeo Estate tdci 163hp mainly because the Powershift gearbox was starting to play up and was quoted £2000 just for a new dmf and clutch! A Lexus has always been on my bucket list it just so happens that the one I bought came up at the right time. I still cant believe how good it is especially considering its 13 years old and it takes levels of comfort and luxury to a new level although I have had a lot of grief from BMW owning friends telling me its a grandads car (which I am)! I have replaced all 4 tpms sensors as none of them were working and they were badly corroded at a cost of £280 including fitting and programming to the car fitted by Etyres who certainly knew is stuff and I also replaced both hid headlight bulbs which were £30 for the pair from Ebay. Lexus Swindon had the car in this week to do a recall for a fuel pressure sensor and gave me a CT200H  with 4k miles on it which felt awful compared to my GS. I actually look forward to driving again now which is something I haven't done for years and also have to look back at it after I have parked up! I know its not everyone's cup of tea but for me its everything I have been looking for in a car and its actually not that bad on fuel with the computer showing 40.04mpg on the drive down the motorway to Swindon this week driving between 65-70mph.

1526824273317.jpg

Lovely looking car there Richard, looks fab in grey.