Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi chaps

I wonder if anyone can help out. Today I took my ls430 on the motorway for the first time since service and mot. After about half an hour I noticed a scraping sound coming from under the front of the car. Upon investigation the splash shield had come adrift and was dragging on the road. I had to cut the plastic away to continue my journey. 

My first thought is that this must have been removed for the service and mot and was possibly not secured properly thereafter. Does this sound plausible?

Also does anyone know where I can source a replacement used or new for a 06 ls430 in the UK?

Many thanks 

Personally if it was OK before the service/MOT I would be back at the garage asking why it wasn’t correctly and securely refitted after the work was carried out and ask them to provide and fit a new replacement. There are 2 parts to it front and rear (No1 and No2) costs are £170.00 and £100.00 respectively from Lexus. Front part number is coming up as 51441-50080 should you wish to google it.

Strange that they would remove the shield as part of a service unless they were changing the cooling system - Lexus designed a small access hatch for the oil filter to be changed.

The problem with independent garages it can sometimes be more hassle than it's worth to get them to admit an error - at least you can give bad feedback if you complain and they don't offer to help. 

Thanks for the feedback chaps

As you rightly say the garage may well not have touched the shield, I don't know the process hence my question 

Im just not used to bits falling off the big girl so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely 

The bolts that fasten on the shield tend to corrode and seize up, they then snap leaving the thread trapped in the bracket which unless drilled out makes it difficult to refasten .

The last time my shield came off for the front wheel allingment  to be given attention it came back with cable ties fastening two of the now broken front bolts.

My sons undertray, which I believe we are talking about, went awol.

It was there one week when we serviced the car but was gone when we replaced the front coil springs about a month later. It’s a big thing, about 3’ x 3’. You’d notice if it fell off while driving wouldn’t you?

Haven’t a clue where it went, I suspect I fell off while his wife was driving. This is a lady who says “Oh yes, that dash light has been on for weeks”  :lol:

All these under trays are good aerodynamically, but difficult to work with. The front tray has about 18-20 screws in it. A real pain, but they are all like that. The 'oil filter change flap' will work if it is up in the air on a a lift. In a drive way, the oil change involves about 8-10 screws to give one 'just enough space'. My old Mercedes had a 3 inch space that allowed the sump nut to be removed. Heaven, because an oil change took just 30 mins.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links