Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So needed new boots on the front. The rears probably had about 1k left on them but decided to get them all changed at the same time. The rears have lasted about 30k miles (Avon ZZ5) and the fronts around 40k (Bridgestone Potenza's).

Went for some Vredestein Quatrac 5's. Went with all season tyres this time to hopefully keep me out of trouble this winter (didn't want the hassle of switching to winters, etc. so please lets not start that debate!).

Anyway, went with Blackcircles in the end and had them fitted by local ATS folk:

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/vredestein/quatrac-5

Lets see how I get on...

16 hours ago, Normski said:

So needed new boots on the front. The rears probably had about 1k left on them but decided to get them all changed at the same time. The rears have lasted about 30k miles (Avon ZZ5) and the fronts around 40k (Bridgestone Potenza's).

Went for some Vredestein Quatrac 5's. Went with all season tyres this time to hopefully keep me out of trouble this winter (didn't want the hassle of switching to winters, etc. so please lets not start that debate!).

Anyway, went with Blackcircles in the end and had them fitted by local ATS folk:

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/vredestein/quatrac-5

Lets see how I get on...

When I bought the car I asked the garage to put 2 new tires on rear, so they did and put on Avon zz5, it's good to hear they can do up to 30k miles!

All season tires are getting more and more popular and better and better but I would feel sorry for them with the weather as of right now in UK!

I had 2 sets of wheels for my old BMW (still have one) and not sure yet what to do for Lexus - go for "all season" or buy another set of wheels. Dilemma! 

With "all season" tires when it was warm I always struggled for grip and had more playful rear end, when I put back on summer tires I was much surprised of the difference but this is expected anyway and I am sure you know that. 

Keep us updated Norman.

On my previous cars I used to run two sets of wheels too. However, this time due to cost (couldn't find another set of GS wheels cheap enough) I had to do something different. Not expecting them to be the last word on grip in both summer or winter - just need them to get me out of trouble. Last winter I just didn't have much confidence after getting stuck a number of times on very little compacted snow/ice.

• Like 1

Yep, this is the problem/dilemma I will have later this year to deal with, what to do with tires! I hope that we won't have another cold winter THAT soon but who knows! 

• 3 weeks later...

How are you finding the tyres Normski? I need new boots on the GS450h and very tempted by these. I also used to run winter and summer sets but I’m tempted by all seasons with the GS. Getting 400 miles a tank so not hooning it around back roads and stuff. It’s a 60mph rush hour motorway couch for me. I do 20k a year throughout Scotland but have an RX with winter boots for the really tough stuff.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hi Grant,

On 7/19/2018 at 9:15 PM, grantwils said:

How are you finding the tyres Normski? I need new boots on the GS450h and very tempted by these. I also used to run winter and summer sets but I’m tempted by all seasons with the GS. Getting 400 miles a tank so not hooning it around back roads and stuff. It’s a 60mph rush hour motorway couch for me. I do 20k a year throughout Scotland but have an RX with winter boots for the really tough stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good so far but I've only done a few hundred miles on them as been away on holiday! Noise wise not noticed any difference and same with the economy. Grip wise I'm sure if I took them to the limit in the current climate they wouldn't be as good but for my driving style this wouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I must have done at least 1000 miles in varied Scottish August weather by now. So far they’re very good. Had tracking done at the same time so will keep an eye on wear.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Had a set of Quatrac 5 on CT200h. There were not many reviews at the time of purchase. One of the selling points was high threadwear indicator suggesting they should last. And they did - 50k miles and were still only half worn. As I was going abroad every winter I had a chance to drive in snowy conditions and tires did great, until last year (abt 45k miles in) where I could feel the difference. Sold the car month ago, in other case I would be changing them in autum - not becuse of wear but due to worsening traction in snow.

I put Quatrac 5 on my GLC and found them fantastic, we drive to the Alps a couple of times in the winter and never had to use chains. I replaced the original tires on my NX for the same after a week of ownership ( they are classed as winter for Austria ) I rate them very highly and would not bother with full winters on a 4ish wheel drive in this country.  If they did the cheap wheel storage over here I might swap to full winters but for now I am happy with a good all rounder.