Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scuffed Alloys

Hi all

I have what I believe are Diamond Cut alloys (the standard F Sport ones).

A little chip on the back wheel appeared and now a 2cm squared size piece has peeled but not come off entirely. Underneath is some black / dark grey surface. I was expecting silver if they are aluminium. Unless that's a protective layer of some sort.

Anyway...I am thinking there must be some hard wearing, clear varnish like something I can paint or spray over the peeling bit, as well as over any other minor scuffs I've caused. Eventually I'll have them all restored as I have some wheel and tyre insurance. But just something in the meantime.

Any recommendations folks?

Won't the purple sparkles stand out? Well, that's what I wear.

Degrease, dry thoroughly and clearcoat. Water is your enemy here.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, matt8 said:

Hi all

I have what I believe are Diamond Cut alloys (the standard F Sport ones).

A little chip on the back wheel appeared and now a 2cm squared size piece has peeled but not come off entirely. Underneath is some black / dark grey surface. I was expecting silver if they are aluminium. Unless that's a protective layer of some sort.

Anyway...I am thinking there must be some hard wearing, clear varnish like something I can paint or spray over the peeling bit, as well as over any other minor scuffs I've caused. Eventually I'll have them all restored as I have some wheel and tyre insurance. But just something in the meantime.

Any recommendations folks?

They're painted alloys not diamond cut. 

Don't really need anything on them, theyre pretty resistant to corrosion unlike 2nd gen wheels. Have a few scuffs on ours and they're still the same.

• Thanks 1

@Comedian - I found some at Halfords with some appalling refiews. Can you vouch for a specific lacquer please? Or anyone!

@rayaans - Thanks for the info. Good to know not diamond cut then. So, it's a layer of paint that is coming off. It's actually peeling, the entire layer. If it was just a scuff I'd leave it. But think it's going to get worse and worse. Really keen to seal it. I had thought of clear nail varnish just to get it stuck down / to prevent the peeled bit being leverage for further peeling. But concerned about durability. Think lacquer as suggested by @Comedian makes sense but want something that is both durable and dries as clear as possible.

Thanks all for ideas and thoughts so far!

If it's as bad as you say then its might be time to do the whole wheel. Diamond cut wheels need to be done at an alloy wheel place.

Because diamond cut wheels are prone to these issues many people just have them powder coated (about 50 a wheel).

With a little stone chip I would just use a dab out of my lexus touch up paint set.

Maybe you could upload a picture?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, rayaans said:

They're painted alloys not diamond cut. 

Don't really need anything on them, theyre pretty resistant to corrosion unlike 2nd gen wheels. Have a few scuffs on ours and they're still the same.

Didn't see this on phone.

I've no idea if these kits are any good but might be worth a try https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/E-Tech-Alloy-Wheel-Repair-and-Refurbishment-Kit/1105643463?iid=201182441865&chn=ps&adgroupid=47842945425&rlsatarget=pla-380312382651&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=7299104&poi=&googleloc=9046219&device=c&campaignid=974959912&crdt=0

If no good can always get a pro job done after.

17 hours ago, matt8 said:

@Comedian - I found some at Halfords with some appalling refiews. Can you vouch for a specific lacquer please? Or anyone!

@rayaans - Thanks for the info. Good to know not diamond cut then. So, it's a layer of paint that is coming off. It's actually peeling, the entire layer. If it was just a scuff I'd leave it. But think it's going to get worse and worse. Really keen to seal it. I had thought of clear nail varnish just to get it stuck down / to prevent the peeled bit being leverage for further peeling. But concerned about durability. Think lacquer as suggested by @Comedian makes sense but want something that is both durable and dries as clear as possible.

Thanks all for ideas and thoughts so far!

If the clearcoat is peeling it is likely to be refurbished in the past. Nothing you can do unless getting it re-done. 

Even if you do put clearcoat on, or nail varnish on, it'll spread and start doing it elsewhere.