Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engaging Drive (Gear)

I have noticed on my IS300H that when the vehicle is on an incline there is resistance when trying to engage gear. My drive is on an incline and when reversing out the garage (on level ground) there is no resistance in engaging reverse gear. When I stop on my drive (which has an incline), there is resistance when I try to re-engage reverse gear. The resistance is very apparent and a degree of force is required to move the gear selector. Does anyone else have experience of this?

I guess that you've never driven an automatic transmission before?

When you put the car in Park (P) a mechanical pawl is engaged to lock up the transmission and prevent the wheels turning. Because the car is on an incline there will be pressure on the pawl so a bit of extra force is required to disengage it.

More details here

And I've just found this short video that shows it as well:

• Like 1

If the incline is reasonably steep use the parking brake too which reduces the issue of the pawl binding that you are experiencing - having a high resistance regularly won't be good for the mechanism and cause wear I would have thought 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

If the incline is reasonably steep use the parking brake too which reduces the issue of the pawl binding that you are experiencing - having a high resistance regularly won't be good for the mechanism and cause wear I would have thought 

Indeed. I cannot understand these people who seem to take great delight in never using the parking brake - that is what it's for. The whole transmission and all its components are under strain when only the pawl is used when parked up.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the advice. I was LED to believe that the vehicle could be just left in park when not in use. As this is my first automatic car I did not know better. I will, of course, now get into the habit of always engaging the parking brake before switching the engine off.

They can on flat surface - I never use my parking brake on my flat drive as car might sit for 2 weeks, so prefer not to use it in case it sticks. I do use it if parked on an incline though, for the reasons mentioned above. 

Now using the foot break on my drive, and no problem in engaging gear 🙂

One other query. I now notice that there is a distinct "creep forward" when I engage the parking break. Is this normal?

I’ve noticed this on every automatic car I’ve had. I think it’s something to do with the weight of the car shifting on the suspension and the brakes holding the wheels. Like when you release the handbrake the car can raise up.

7 hours ago, ikeja said:

Now using the foot break on my drive, and no problem in engaging gear 🙂

One other query. I now notice that there is a distinct "creep forward" when I engage the parking break. Is this normal?

Again, sounds normal. It moves a bit but shouldnt be rolling by more than 1 inch

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links