Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hiya, I’m new to this so bear with me. We’ve had our Lexus for 2 years, no problems until now. Just had a service at dealership-total estimated cost of nearly £2500.00 (front brake pads/discs, rear discs, all 4 calipers seized on pins, leaking rear shockers). 

Is the dealership the best place to do the work? Or does anyone know a reliable mechanic in the Cheshire area that can do this? 

13 minutes ago, Torrey said:

Hiya, I’m new to this so bear with me. We’ve had our Lexus for 2 years, no problems until now. Just had a service at dealership-total estimated cost of nearly £2500.00 (front brake pads/discs, rear discs, all 4 calipers seized on pins, leaking rear shockers). 

Is the dealership the best place to do the work? Or does anyone know a reliable mechanic in the Cheshire area that can do this? 

Sounds very excessive dealers quote daft prices. Rear shocks a pair circa £140.00 brakes and pads all 4 around £150 180 seems strange you have not noticed brakes

are not working. Are brake discs shiny or rusted up. If they are shiny will be working. Go to a good local mechanic you do not have to use lexus.

I have had an advisory on rear discs twice from dealer and 2 rear brake pipes. Moted twice with no advisories, mentioned both items. Dealers are not called stealers

for nothing. 

eBay item number:

Depends where you are in Cheshire.

Two places I can recommend:

1) Highams, Alderley Edge (close to Alderley Edge station which might be handy) 01565 582223

or probably lower cost:

2) Technocars - ask for Simon - they are a bit in the middle of nowhere on a farm in Marthall, near Chelford. They could probably give you a lift to Alderley Edge or Knutsford. 01565 873588

Simon would fit your own parts - not sure about Highams (some garages aren't happy to do that - they feel they loose control re warranty etc)

Don't use a dealer whatever you do. You probably don't need new calipers - the pins should/may free up - but dealers won't even try.

Great info thanks. We’ve asked around and got a local recommendation so will try there. Not very knowledgeable about cars so thought dealers would be best bet-now I know better. 

Great info thanks. We’ve asked around and got a local recommendation so will try there. Not very knowledgeable about cars so thought dealers would be best bet-now I know better. 

You can get the new modified Calipers from Lexus Liverpool for £79.99 each plus VAT. I got them for mine and local garage fitted them for £40. Well happy [emoji1303]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

"Modified Calipers" you say??? Tell me more.....what has been improved as such to alleviate the 'sticking' slide pin problem?

paul m.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Texas said:

"Modified Calipers" you say??? Tell me more.....what has been improved as such to alleviate the 'sticking' slide pin problem?

paul m.

I suspect he means refurbished/reconditioned where the calipers are taken apart....all cleaned and rust removed then all put back together with new seals and other rubber components.  New slide pins on and job's a good 'un.

I had one rear caliper replaced at last MOT and it was £79.99.

You may get a surcharge applied to the price of a refurbed caliper as they want your old one back to clean it up for next customer.

don't forget the usual Lexus main dealer hourly rate is @£180 ( + vat ? ) and most local good indys will charge maybe £40 or so

Malc

They wouldn't be refurbished if they came from Lexus Liverpool - I would think they would only sell new stuff. (Brake factors sell refurbished ones).

I bought a pair (note you should always replace brake components both sides at the same time) just over 4 years ago and they were described as modified. Don't get too excited - they look exactly the same as the old ones and they are just as liable to seize the slider pins - mine went sticky after the standard year and I've cleaned and greased the pins annually since fitting.

I'm not sure, but it's possible these £79.99 ones are for solid discs (as I have). The vented disc versions are different (wider to accommodate the thicker disc). Has anyone with vented discs paid this 'bargain' price? (not that you wouldn't have paid anything if Lexus had designed the things properly in the first place).

(Note for newcomers here - this all refers to rear brakes)

paul m.

These where brand new from Lexus Liverpool. Paul at Toyota parts department which is right next door, told me that these where the new modified ones which never had the same problem as the older version. So he said. He could have been talking nonsense. You could phone and ask.

I’ve got my car booked in for Thursday so will mention to the mechanic about the modified calipers from Lexus Liverpool. He told my husband that he used to work for Chester Lexus (where we had our service done) so I’m guessing g he knows what he’s doing.

• Like 1

I’ve got my car booked in for Thursday so will mention to the mechanic about the modified calipers from Lexus Liverpool. He told my husband that he used to work for Chester Lexus (where we had our service done) so I’m guessing g he knows what he’s doing.

Let me know what they say I’d be interested to know.
Thanks,
John.

They wouldn't be refurbished if they came from Lexus Liverpool - I would think they would only sell new stuff. (Brake factors sell refurbished ones).
I bought a pair (note you should always replace brake components both sides at the same time) just over 4 years ago and they were described as modified. Don't get too excited - they look exactly the same as the old ones and they are just as liable to seize the slider pins - mine went sticky after the standard year and I've cleaned and greased the pins annually since fitting.
I'm not sure, but it's possible these £79.99 ones are for solid discs (as I have). The vented disc versions are different (wider to accommodate the thicker disc). Has anyone with vented discs paid this 'bargain' price? (not that you wouldn't have paid anything if Lexus had designed the things properly in the first place).
(Note for newcomers here - this all refers to rear brakes)

I’d have check the rear discs, but I’m sure they’re vented. I’ll let you’s know.

Is there actually any difference between the calipers on solid and vented cars?! :unsure:

My car has vented rear discs, but looking at pictures of the calipers on a "solid" setup, the calipers (physically at least) appear to be the same. They even have the same numbers stamped into the casings (43, L 18/18 R, ADVICS). The only difference seems to be that the piston is pushed further out where solid discs are fitted. The brake bads are identical, regardless of whether the discs are vented or solid.

• Like 1

When you put new pads in the pistons have to be fully retracted into the housings (even with solid discs) . I don't see how there could be room for wider discs.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

Is there actually any difference between the calipers on solid and vented cars?! :unsure:
My car has vented rear discs, but looking at pictures of the calipers on a "solid" setup, the calipers (physically at least) appear to be the same. They even have the same numbers stamped into the casings (43, L 18/18 R, ADVICS). The only difference seems to be that the piston is pushed further out where solid discs are fitted. The brake bads are identical, regardless of whether the discs are vented or solid.

Mine are vented too. I checked before. Not sure why there is 2 different though.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, Malc said:

Torrey hi,  so what's the hourly rate charged by your chosen mechanic ?

Malc

Don’t know. My husband took the car and said he thought the suspension felt soft and that the calipers might have seized (didn’t mention about the health check or quote from Chester Lexus). I can call them tomorrow and find out. It’s NW V.A.G tech in Runcorn 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links